AMD: Pirate Islands (R* 3** series) Speculation/Rumor Thread

Uh, I'm not sure I follow you. Vapor chambers are like wide, flat heatpipes. They're meant to transfer heat away from the central contact point; whether the fan hub is under the contact point or not doesn't really make a difference I would think (other than lowering the cooler's efficiency, since there's little/no air flow under the hub itself).

Btw, AMD used a small - possibly even smaller than the Nano's cooler - vapor chamber in the radeon 4970 X2 way way long ago now for the "downstream" GPU.

That was with a blower fan.

Asked the same thing this afternoon, no answer yet. :)

Not all ACE's are equal.
So, one HSW is worth 2 ACEs?

interested nobody talked for me the two more interesting bits seen in HotChips slide namely:

SR-IOV virtualization
: this is like vGPU Nvidia introduced in GK110 ability to partition a GPU to various subGPUs with VM seeing as a HW GPU? hope AMD can left enabled for Radeon series unlike Nvidia shipping only on GRID GPUs so users finally can use a single GPU to multiple VMs without server grade hardware.. It's already exposed on Fury X?

Dispatch draw: that may be ability to launch draw calls from GPU i.e. from graphics/compute kernels?! this is new if I understand correctly as GPUs supporting OpenCL 2.0 and NV dynamic parallelism (GK110+) have ability to dispatch compute kernels from GPU not draw calls!
interesting if ever and how this will be exposend on graphics APIs (Vulkan? OGL? via DX extension?)

hope people correct me if wrong or shed more light on this..

Isn't AMD's base clock a true base, in which clocks can only increase? 1GHz in this case is the boost clock.

No disabled units and 1GHz base clock in a 175W envelope.

According to the slide, 1GHz seems to be the highest boost clock and not the base one.

gnfcvCP.jpg

Vapor chamber DOUBLE CONFIRMED:

They're claiming a performance advantage of 30% over the GTX970 mITX version from Gigabyte and Asus, which is a rather odd comparison because these cards are selling for $300 and AMD seems to be pricing the Nano towards about twice that value. Unless the Nano is coming below $500, I'm not sure this comparison is that much of a selling point.

pLNBkeb.jpg

Yes, your point being...? :)
The one you already grasped (but didn't realize...?)
„(other than lowering the cooler's efficiency, since there's little/no air flow under the hub itself)“

VCs are basically very short but very wide Heatpipes. The upper end being the one where the heat is transferred to and from which it needs to be transported away. Thus, VCs until now had their surface soldered over and over with fins while the fan was blowing through them from the side (radial design).

That's why a VC would IMHO not be optimal for this small an area, compared to cards like the one HD 4870 X2 you mentioned - where the fan did indeed blow from the side.

--
But seeing the alleged slides, it seems I'm wrong anyway and there's indeed a vapor chamber in the base of the cooler. :)

They're claiming a performance advantage of 30% over the GTX970 mITX version from Gigabyte and Asus, which is a rather odd comparison because these cards are selling for $300 and AMD seems to be pricing the Nano towards about twice that value. Unless the Nano is coming below $500, I'm not sure this comparison is that much of a selling point.
Odd, yes, but the point IMHO is the maximum performance in that small form factor.

That's why a VC would IMHO not be optimal for this small an area, compared to cards like the one HD 4870 X2 you mentioned - where the fan did indeed blow from the side.
It's no different for a vapor chamber-based cooler or a heatpipe-based cooler; the fan hub is there regardless. Difference is, the vapor chamber has a higher capacity for heat dispersion, and thus more efficient overall.

Back