NX Gamer Discusses Game Tech *spin* [2015 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
- No. (Please watch the HQ video).
- TLG shown 7 years ago was indeed running on a PS3... at a single digit fps and then specced up.

The Last Guardian has the best animal animation of any game...

I see a comparison between the PS3 version at a single digit and the PS4 version. The modelisation of trico is better and the geometry on the scenery is much better with better resolution and very clean IQ.

But the best is the animation... For example compared to the bear in rise of the Tomb Raider trico animation is one order magnitude better...

Edit: And it is funny an imaginary animal is more credible than all the real widlife in other game...

Last edited:
It will be sad if they cannot deliver better than 7 year old PS3 graphics in 2015. But the video looked the same to me at a glance and even if there are minor differences (supposedly )

About NX gamer, he has been called out twice by developers for being wrong about a game's resolution. So just be careful about that (doubt he really tries pixel counting again anytime soon though after being burned) This one where he incorrectly said XB1 Rise of The Tomb Raider was 900P when it's 1080P https://twitter.com/n_x_g/status/623012014621896704

Last edited:
It will be sad if they cannot deliver better than 7 year old PS3 graphics in 2015. But the video looked the same to me at a glance and even if there are minor differences (supposedly )

About NX gamer, he has been called out twice by developers for being wrong about a game's resolution. So just be careful about that (doubt he really tries pixel counting again anytime soon though after being burned) This one where he incorrectly said XB1 Rise of The Tomb Raider was 900P when it's 1080P https://twitter.com/n_x_g/status/623012014621896704

For me it is someone with good eyes it is the reason his video are interesting...

I don't see TLG as a PS3 game. It wasn't out on PS3 because the PS3 wasn't powerful enough to deliver the game they wanted.

By that metric Dying Light and Mad Max were PS3 games.

I don't see TLG as a PS3 game. It wasn't out on PS3 because the PS3 wasn't powerful enough to deliver the game they wanted.

By that metric Dying Light and Mad Max were PS3 games.

After Ueda himself said the rendering is not "edgy" but it is the art style and PS4 help fullfill his vision...

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2015/06/17/fumito-ueda-on-the-last-guardians-grand-e3-reveal/

The overall aesthetic that the team is going for isn’t necessarily ‘edgy’ but we have a very specific art style we are aiming for and the PS4 hardware has helped us achieve our goals.

Last edited:
It will be sad if they cannot deliver better than 7 year old PS3 graphics in 2015.
Except the graphics aren't 7 years old because the graphics weren't doable 7 years ago. The game got canned because the hardware wasn't powerful enough (don't know why, looking at the visuals...). There is no comparison to the PS3 version of the game because the PS3 didn't exist. All we can compare it to was an ICO-like aesthetic for what was basically a concept video.

Maybe you should spend more than a glance before posting such a well thought out analysis? At a glance Crackdown 3 looks like Crackdown 1, but is that fair?

He's wrong about everything most of the time so it's not like this is a surprise.

Except the graphics aren't 7 years old because the graphics weren't doable 7 years ago. The game got canned because the hardware wasn't powerful enough (don't know why, looking at the visuals...). There is no comparison to the PS3 version of the game because the PS3 didn't exist. All we can compare it to was an ICO-like aesthetic for what was basically a concept video.
Just because Team ICO had terrible coders doesn't mean the PS3 couldn't handle it. The Uncharted games and the GoW games look better than what Team ICO showed back then.

He's wrong about everything most of the time so it's not like this is a surprise.

Just because Team ICO had terrible coders doesn't mean the PS3 couldn't handle it. The Uncharted games and the GoW games look better than what Team ICO showed back then.

All Sony best coding team comes to help Team ICO, ND, Santa Monica, Sony ATG england and ICE Team .... I remember a Christophe Balestra tweet about the game.

Team Ico isn’t the only studio working on The Last Guardian. Some of Sony’s U.S. and U.K. development teams are helping finish the project, Sony has confirmed. Santa Monica, the studio behind God of War, is one of them.

“We have great tech people in Worldwide Studios. We have a central tech group in the US and the UK so we are giving them whatever help they need,” said Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida during an interview with Wired (via Eurogamer).

“Technically, we have the best engineers in the US and Europe, so these teams are helping them, giving advice.”

So when is it coming out, then?

“There’s a vision that we want to realise but it’s very very tough and technical issue that the team is tackling and some plans have to be made to evaluate and go through the process,” said Yoshida.

“At one point the progress was great, so we talked about the timing of the launch in the past. But now it’s making progress, but still not to the level – it’s playable, but not to the point that we can talk about the timing of launch.”

The Last Guardian was first announced for PlayStation 3 in May 2009.

http://gematsu.com/2012/02/sony-us-and-uk-teams-helping-finish-the-last-guardian

There's the proof. Team ICO couldn't do it.

And all the other team didn't find the solution to satisfy Ueda vision ;). It is a very complex game. AI is complex for example. And all the feather it was an important feature for Ueda on a machine with a low bandwith like PS3.

Like ICO the ambition was a bit too high for the machine and they change of target at the end.

Last edited:
Proof Team Ico couldn't do it doesn't prove anyone else could do it. We don't know what the vision or underlying techs are. I agree what's been seen so far doesn't smack of a complex game and technical masterpiece, but we don't know what's going on under the hood, nor what compromises Team Ico weren't willing to make. Could quite simply be the animal, the core of the experience, isn't possible as intended on PS3 no matter who's trying to make the game.

Proof Team Ico couldn't do it doesn't prove anyone else could do it. We don't know what the vision or underlying techs are. I agree what's been seen so far doesn't smack of a complex game and technical masterpiece, but we don't know what's going on under the hood, nor what compromises Team Ico weren't willing to make. Could quite simply be the animal, the core of the experience, isn't possible as intended on PS3 no matter who's trying to make the game.

Animate and create a good AI of a big sized animal into ICO like scenery is not an easy task... AI is the reason of the recorded demo...

If it was SOTC style of scenery it would be much easier...

Last edited:
And all the other team didn't find the solution to satisfy Ueda vision ;). It is a very complex game. AI is complex for example. And all the feather it was an important feature for Ueda on a machine with a low bandwith like PS3.

Like ICO the ambition was a bit too high for the machine and they change of target at the end.
The feathers aren't that impressive when you realize that their motion is basically a sine wave with a bit noise on top.

In terms of satisfaction, SotC ran awfully and that seemed to have been enough for Ueda.

We don't know the extent to which other Sony developers improved on the project. By the time they were called to work on it the next-generation was already close at hand so it was more logical to just port it to the PS4.

The feathers aren't that impressive when you realize that their motion is basically a sine wave with a bit noise on top.

In terms of satisfaction, SotC ran awfully and that seemed to have been enough for Ueda.

We don't know the extent to which other Sony developers improved on the project. By the time they were called to work on it the next-generation was already close at hand so it was more logical to just port it to the PS4.

They were call before 2012. I am 100% sure of this...

Do we know that the only reason why the couldn't be released was due to technical issues? The fact that they still haven't shown live gameplay seems to suggest otherwise.

I know someone working within a studio doing exclusive Sony game in Europe and he said AI was a problem on this title in 2010 or 2011. I don't remember the year...

Edit: And animate and render Trico is not an easy task for PS3. It was very tense inside Sony Japan about TLG. People wanted Ueda to compromise his vision and it was tense between Becker (ex Santa Monica dev) in charge of Sony Japan restructuration and Ueda. This is the reason Ueda is freelance and not a Sony employee anymore...

Last edited:
I know someone working within a studio doing exclusive Sony game in Europe and he said AI is a problem on this title in 2010 or 2011. I don't remember the year...

Edit: And animate and render Trixo is not an easy task for PS3. It was very tense inside Sony Japan about TLG. People wanting Ueda to compromise his vision and it was tense between Becker (ex Santa Monica dev) in charge of Sony Japan restructuration and Ueda. This is the reason Ueda is freelance and not a Sony employee anymore...
Isn't AI the reason Sony gave for not showing live gameplay this E3? Seems like is still a problem after all these years.

Isn't AI the reason Sony gave for not showing live gameplay this E3? Seems like is still a problem after all these years.

It was the reason but it is ok now I think... But the project could have work on PS3 with many compromise but it would have shipped after PS4 launch...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back