Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wheres the equivalent in win 10 it's decided to duplicate every shortcut in my games folder with no way of deleting them
EKUpdzh.jpg

Wheres the equivalent in win 10 it's decided to duplicate every shortcut in my games folder with no way of deleting them
EKUpdzh.jpg
Open Explorer, type Start Menu to the "address", delete what you want (at least most are there, some might be under default profile too)

that gets me to the games folder but the duplicates are not there (yes ive tried all games folders)
Aph0zJr.jpg

Talking off the top of my head here but you need to look in both the start menu under your own profile and under the shared profile. I can't remember the file paths now as I found an online article but I did have the same issues as you and it worked for me.

@Davros I thought you would be happy to have your games duplicated... Suddenly you'd find yourself the Guardian of the Venerated Ten Terabytes! ;)

Try forcing the detected as ps2 mouse to OEM driver even when windows earn incompatible.

You need to do it manually from device manager

So I have to spend 800 bucks in the hope that I can prevent MS from harvesting my data?
Now wait just a minute... The comment that I replied to was about "I don't trust anyone and wish to be paranoid." This means we're going to e paranoid, which means Windows is only one of a hundred things (or more) that may be using your internet connection as a way to leak your data.

The point is this: You don't know what is leaking your data until you can see it leaving.

A software firewall was mentioned upstream; that's great for things that exist on that particular PC. What about Roku devices? Apple TV? ChromeCasts? Your various tablets? What about guests on your wifi that you may not know about? Or the ones that you do know about, but have no way to realize that they've been compromised and are scanning your network devices and details.

Yes, we're talking paranoia. This can't simply be about Windows, this has to be about your data being shared without your permission. Without your knowledge. Without any visibility at all.

If you are going to truly be paranoid, as was discussed in the quote to which I originally replied, then you need visibility to all outbound traffic. Buy a REAL firewall, and protect all your things.

I have microsegmentation in my home network for guest users (whom I should know, who then must log into my captive portal, and yet who still wish to protect with inline A/V certain site blocks), internet-only appliances that have no business in any of my other home networks, protected server devices which have an incredibly small set of ACL's for both inbound and outbound traffic, a "prod" wireless and a separate "prod" wired networks. Among others, such as three different DMZ's and a management layer that is only available physically.

If you're going to be paranoid, don't be a pussy about it :D

Try forcing the detected as ps2 mouse to OEM driver even when windows earn incompatible.

You need to do it manually from device manager

Yep, I've managed to do this and have at least been able to disable the 'tap to click' nonsense.

Unfortunately, the Elan drivers still don't work entirely correctly so I need to use two fingers to multi-touch scroll instead of using the right-hand side of the touchpad as is my preference. Oh, the 'update' which stopped multi-touch navigation in Win 7 (two-fingered swipe forwards or backwards through web pages) seems to have made its way to Windows 10 as this aspect of the drivers doesn't work correctly either. Oddly so, since the drivers claim to be Win 10 compatible!

OK back from holiday & I see my GF has updated my win 8.1 to 10 (HDD)
before I went away I installed 10 on my (SSD) cause this is the version I will use (fresh install of OS on a SSD = the smartest move),
now can I downgrade(*) (on HDD) 10 -> 8.1 (because 10 doesnt yet support all the things I need, i.e. music) and have the win10 license on my SSD still being considered valid?
I assume it will be as its logical but one never knows?

(*)NOTE: I want to rollback, not reinstall 8.0 and then 8.1 again, ta

Now wait just a minute... The comment that I replied to was about "I don't trust anyone and wish to be paranoid."
No it wasn't. What was said is that blind trust can hurt you just like or even more than paranoia.
Nothing was said about never trusting anyone or wishing to be completely paranoid. It was not about extremes as you try to imply now.
You seem to have an habit of twisting other people's words. You already did it in the Skylake thread where the discussion was about cheaper quad-cores, but you pretended that it was about "zillions" of cores and even created a thread misleadingly called "where are the cheap 16 core processors".

You wanted complete control over your data being leaked, yet you call me out about telling you to get a proper firewall.

You and others wanted to turn a Skylake thread into "why aren't we getting cheap octal cores" and "zomg the code isn't the problem, the cores are" and I built you a thread to take your off-topic mess into.

If you don't like my posting, click my name, click ignore, and be done with me. I'm not sure why you felt it necessary to make a personal problem out of it in the middle of yet another thread that you're derailing. But thanks for that, regardless.

First Vulnerability Found in Microsoft Edge, Affects Other Software as Well

Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player, Excel, QuickTime, AVG, BitDefender, and Comodo Antivirus also vulnerable
At the Black Hat USA 2015 conference in Las Vegas, a team of security experts led by Jonathan Brossard have presented a vulnerability in the Microsoft Server Message Block (SMB) protocol used for sharing files in local networks.

The vulnerability affects all version of Windows, including the newer Windows 10, and can be exploited via the Internet, something researchers thought as impossible.

SMB is a 21-years-old protocol created by IBM, which allows for sharing files and printers inside a network. Since its creation, it has evolved and reached version 3.0, which now ships with most Windows OS instances.

The protocol is used most of the times in enterprise networks, working together with the NTLMv2 authentication algorithm, which allows users to quickly authenticate themselves on Windows servers.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/firs...e-affects-other-software-as-well-488913.shtml

Well, to be pedantic, the vulnerability is in SMB, not Edge. Unfortunately, the SMB protocol will show up pretty much anywhere that involves sharing files within Windows, which then includes (but is not limited to) the Edge browser.

More worrisome than the bad headline is the fact that SMB is equally affected across every Windows platform. Ddi they just assume that SMB is a solved problem all the way from Windows 2000 thru Win10?

Here's actually something more scary after applying a modicum of thought to it: All the Windows XP users who still are either stuck or refuse to upgrade are NOT likely to get the fix for this. Eek.

I thought ms were looking into releasing it by torrent, I'm pretty sure I read that. I'm offline now for up to 3 days just when I'm about to install all my software on my fresh install of win10. Nz phone company decides to upgrade my street from 10mb/s to 100mb/s. And something's gone wrong and may be not fixed till Friday.
The thing is I don't want 100mb/s at my last house I had 10mb/s last year they said do you want to upgrade to 100mb/s I said how much extra? They said nothing same price you just need to go offline for 3 hours. I said no thanks. The only time I need high speed is watching YouTube, the thing is 10mb already have me more than enough bandwidth

Cortana Is Listening
That is nothing new, and not really worth such scary headlines either. Of course cortana listens, it's a speech recognition tool, and if you don't like that then you can always simply disable it.

What would have been worth worrying over is if it listens even if disabled, but the linked article doesn't state anything like that, so I assume it is not the case.

That is nothing new, and not really worth such scary headlines either. Of course cortana listens, it's a speech recognition tool, and if you don't like that then you can always simply disable it.

What would have been worth worrying over is if it listens even if disabled, but the linked article doesn't state anything like that, so I assume it is not the case.
First, I agree with your summation: so long as Cortana stops listening when I turn her off, I do not see the problem.

Second, people who are "scared" of Cortana's access to things need to understand what she's capable of doing. For that, it's worthwhile to look at Cortana where she started -- on Windows Phone. I use her on a daily basis to keep me up to speed on my calendar events, on my commute times, on flight details, and most usefully to do things for me while I'm driving. She can take dictation for text messages, she can read my text messages back to me, she can call people or tell me who is calling, she can operate my Pandora app, all without moving my hands from my steering wheel or even so much as moving my eyes from the road. She can also do geofencing -- prompt me to look at my Costco shopping list when I drive into the Costco parking lot.

These things require access to contact data (Call from Mother Dearest - answer, or ignore? Hey Cortana, call my brother on his cell. My dad calls, Cortana reminds me to wish him a happy birthday), she needs access to my third party apps (Hey Cortana, play Pandora Orchestral Movie Composers channel), she needs access to my email and calendar (based on my Delta flight confirmation email, she will pop a message that my flight is 35 minutes delayed right now), she needs access to my text messages (Text message from Doug Wines: Read it, or ignore it? Hey Cortana, send a text to my Wife, tell her I'll be five minutes late getting home), and she needs access to my location (I arrive at Costco, reminder pops up for my shopping list.)

For a phone device, this is the bitchin'est thing ever. The way that I currently use PC's, maybe it's not as useful right now. But if I had a Windows tablet and was a mobile warrior, I'd be all over these features for the same reason. Shit is awesome, but to get use from it, you'll have to let go of the reigns. Is that scary for some people? Yeah, it is, and rightfully so, thus let them turn it off.

I have Cortana turned off on all my PC's, and I have it turned on for my WP 8.1 phone on my Lumia 1520. I'll continue to use her, because she's INCREDIBLY useful when my phone is tethered to my car's head unit.

It simply brings it into line with other free to play games. Arguably this version of Solitaire is the most feature packed yet. Why not pay for the cost of that development with money that is derived from the people who play it? It stands to reason that if Solitaire gets a lot of subscribers (or a lot of ad views) then MS will continue to develop it and similar experiences for those who enjoy it.

If you think that Solitaire is a basic feature and requirement of an OS (therefore should be factored into the cost of it) then I don't know what to tell you.
This solitaire thing only seems to have become an issue due to the number of people going from Win7->10. Seem that most people didn't know Win 8 Solitaire has exactly the same behaviour, so its not even a "Win 10" thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back