Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheese n' rice that's ridiculous. It was actually one of the first things I tried to change as soon as I went to 10 and wondered why I couldn't find it anywhere.

I never even noticed! But perhaps it kept my Win8 settings for this as I remember hating the defaults there ...

I never even noticed! But perhaps it kept my Win8 settings for this as I remember hating the defaults there ...
hm... yeah, same here, didn't really notice. It didn't bother me for some reason, and I love dark themes. I guess it's less contrasty considering the main window in file explorer is almost all white anyway.

From my limited time with Win 8.1, I really did hate that the title text was always black no matter what though (coming from 7). Guess I just stopped caring?

Just updated to Win 10 from Win 7. Not too bad so far other than the crummy font rendering (and the white title bars!), but the touchpad on my 5 year old laptop is playing up a bit (more than before). I've reverted to the previous drivers (which haven't worked entirely correctly since a Windows Update a couple of years ago which broke the multi-touch functionality!) and this has improved matters to some degree. It is working OK-ish now (though again multi-touch is still borked) but the scrolling is a bit up and down jerky now. I guess I'll look to see if Windows 8 drivers will sort out the touchpad issues.

Reading all the problems that people have encountered, it really makes you wonder what one of the world's biggest companies is doing with their UI design. The fact that so many things were apparently changing in the lead up to the final RC is disturbing because surely they should have begun with a coherent plan for the UI in the first place? The mind boggles as to what they are doing.

So I figured out how to have my various windows that have been blurry (eg Steam) not be:
Go to the Shortcut properties -> Compatibility tab & tick 'Disable display scaling on high DPI settings'.
Have to do it for each program & Windows will ask you to confirm it worked properly when you close the program.

I guess on lower res monitors it doesn't do this? I've got a 30" 2560*1600.

you also can disable scaling from the shortcut or exe. just ruck click, properties. somewhere there an opton to disable scaling

It's flipping horrible isn't it. Sticks out like a saw thumb to me after the MUCH nicer transparency of Windows 7. In terms of changing it, it's possible, but not easily. I'm hoping they'll fix it in a future update:

http://www.howtogeek.com/222831/how-to-get-colored-window-title-bars-on-windows-10-instead-of-white/

What the... why didn't he just make that into batch script? or provide the final files to be downloaded (this my violate copyright something something though...)

So I figured out how to have my various windows that have been blurry (eg Steam) not be:
Go to the Shortcut properties -> Compatibility tab & tick 'Disable display scaling on high DPI settings'.
Have to do it for each program & Windows will ask you to confirm it worked properly when you close the program.

I guess on lower res monitors it doesn't do this? I've got a 30" 2560*1600.

Yeah except now everything is made for ants. The only real solution is for lazy devs to start coding for high dpi scaling. I'm looking at you valve and blizzard.

The fact that so many things were apparently changing in the lead up to the final RC is disturbing because surely they should have begun with a coherent plan for the UI in the first place? The mind boggles as to what they are doing.
I never had any real issue with win8's UI. It wasn't exactly pretty, but it was functional. Win10 is outright broken, with the way you can't really tell which window is active, and just general sheer ugliness on top of that - white title bars for native windows apps, whichever the hell color coders feel like for metro apps (including edge, which has a GREY bar, YUCCCCKKKK), and so on.

MS is such a headstrong company, they REALLY don't like learning from their mistakes. They'd rather just shove their shit down everybody else's throats and have us swallow willingly. They HATE having to admit mistakes, and they hate even more to go back on their own decisions. Like the way they super-grudgingly re-introduced the start menu - except not really, it's just a scrolling version of the start screen from win8, not the hierarchical menu of old where everything was grouped and easily sorted through just by looking at it.

And the windows desktop, you can't have the nice aqua theme from win7, because that would mean they would have to admit they were wrong in removing that in win8, so they tinker with the win8 theme instead and F it up even more.

MS is such an annoying company, if they weren't so irreplaceable in the PC gaming scene I totally wouldn't bother with them at all.

Yeah except now everything is made for ants. The only real solution is for lazy devs to start coding for high dpi scaling. I'm looking at you valve and blizzard.
There are good scaling kernels that don't blur the source material - or well, not unless you scale it by A LOT anyway... :) I wonder what they're using - straight GPU rasterizer hardware scaling maybe - IE bi-linear interpolation? That would indeed look like utter shit.

the scaling is only sharp for some percentage.
i just use global scaling and disable it per-app on shortcut.

btw lowering resolution and let the GPU do the scaling can be sharper and more comfortable

And she was right about the heat -- it's always warm now when I go to pick it up. The only time I"ve had it cool off is -- go figure -- when I close the Edge browser. Perfmon doesn't show it gulping down CPU cycles either, but I've got nothing else left that can explain it.
Graphics load?

Try running Process Explorer, which includes a GPU utilisation monitor, to see if graphics is the cause of the drain.

There exists a "Dark" theme for Edge
Yeah, I read about that somewhere the other day; allegedly, some/most metro apps support the dark theme. It's something they nabbed from OSX Yosemite, I have to assume... :)

Goddammmmmit Microsoft!!
Why the heck theres no "never remind me about windows 10"...

Sony has strongly forbid VAIO users to upgrade to W10 but my W8.1 keeps showing the "upgrade to W10 is ready" pop up.

@orangpelupa Uninstall the relevant KB (google it, the names of these things is impossible to remember) which puts that little flag icon in your systray, then hide it to never show up again in Windows Update...?

Anyway, why has Sony "forbidden" you to install Win10? It's catastrophically incompatible with your laptop or something?

hmm did microsoft now host driver updates?

https://vaiodl.blob.core.windows.net/driver/VP0000000121.exe

its the download link for new Vaio drivers. They nolonger from sony website. weird.

hmm did microsoft now host driver updates?
I'm not sure about that specific link, but Microsoft has hosted drivers for a long time now. Their collection is getting larger by each OS; Windows 10 even installed AMD's Catalyst Control Center on my Lenovo during the upgrade. That was new to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back