Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cortana isn't working for me - it says it's not currently supported in my selected region but I'm in the UK, the PC's region is set to UK, and as far as I can tell, all the language options are set to UK too. And I believe UK is supported. So no idea what's wrong. It might have something to do with me uninstalling the US language pack though as I was fed up of seeing the language switch option in this system tray and the only way i could get rid was to remove any options (leaving only UK English).
Make sure locale and Unicode set to UK english

Can only set the basic colour there not the other colours like what colour it highlights selected things.

Operation was successful, wife's PC now has both Win10 and Internet, yay! She didn't notice any changes after first use so far so that's ... Good. ;)

Can only set the basic colour there not the other colours like what colour it highlights selected things.
Ah, didn't catch that (Selected = highlights).

Didn't even know it was a thing. XD

I think it's in the Ease of Access -> High Contrast page. I don't have Win10 on this computer to check how it works.

Microsoft releases Windows DVD Player for Windows 10 -- free for some, but not for others.
If you’re upgrading from Windows 7 Ultimate, Professional, Home Premium or Windows 8.1 with Media Center, then you will get Windows DVD Player for free.
If you should have been eligible for the DVD Player but performed a clean install of Windows 10, you will no longer get it, sorry about that.

Yeah Windows 8 has this quirk as well. There is free software to play DVDs anyway.

Last edited:
Maybe he wants a simple "No spying" tickbox in the installer, that wouldn't be luxury really... ;)

I remembered another feature loss with Edge. No support for tracking protection lists aka adblocking. One stripped down browser.

It's unfortunate that there is no 3rd party browser that works well for touch. Chrome is sort of an option but is too demanding and the interface is inferior to IE. Its tablet mode doesn't seem to work with 10 anyway.

I went back to 8.1 on my tablet. It's just a better tablet experience. Maybe the inevitable 10.1 will suck less.

Last edited:
But he doesn't want console forum posts.
:D :D :D

Had the wife-unit swap to Google Chrome as her browser on her Surface; I am beginning to suspect that Edge is eating battery like a fat kid eating cake. I came home yesterday to continued complaints about both battery life and the tablet running quite warm. She had, literally, nothing running except the Edge browser and I watched that box chew through (indicated) 10% charge in about 12 minutes of her browsing.

This is with the screen at ~30% brightness, using the factory "balanced" profile which includes the "max battery life" settings for the wireless adapter, the graphics adapter, along my own speed cap on the processor. Bluetooth is off, GPS is off, no additional accessories installed (even pulled the MicroSD a few nights ago just to be sure.) The Surface Pro original was never a battery miser, but ~1%/min is patently absurd under these circumstances.

And she was right about the heat -- it's always warm now when I go to pick it up. The only time I"ve had it cool off is -- go figure -- when I close the Edge browser. Perfmon doesn't show it gulping down CPU cycles either, but I've got nothing else left that can explain it.

The same can be said about trust. And usually one gets screwed much harder due to excessive trust than due to excessive paranoia.
If you are going to take the "I'd rather have paranoia than trust", then get a real firewall in your house. For actual getting-shit-done reasons, I bought a FortiGate NGFW / UTM appliance for my house a few years ago and it's been awesome. A cheap firewall will keep people out, a good firewall will keep your data in..

I'm actually working to upgrade my FG40c to a newer 80d just because of the additional throughput now available from my home internet connection.

Is there anyway to change the colour of the titlebar who in the hell thought white would be a good colour ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back