Original Xbox Backwards compatibility on Xbox One (vote and discuss)

Vote here if you want to see it:

https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/2.../6032159-original-xbox-backward-compatibility

Can fan support convince MS it's worth doing? Would publishers of old original Xbox titles go along with it? What would it take to make an emulator run on an emulator (original Xbox to 360 to One), or would a direct original Xbox to Xbox One emulator (X86/Nvidia-X86/AMD) be the route?

Original Xbox and Xbox 360 compatibility, truly Xbox One!

I'm not sure this is even worth discussing until Microsoft clears up the issue of the original emulator. I can't find anybody inside MS who will/can answer the question of whether or not they had to pay Nvidia for emulation on 360 (although I swear I remember reading 10 years ago that they did). Somebody find Peter Moore's personal email account.
If it's just the 360's emulator running on the Xbox One, with all its problems (and limited selection), then I see very little point. Also, that's... like... DOUBLE emulation. Even if it worked, I have to imagine a lot of the games would be nearly unplayable.
So the question is: Can they create a new emulator for Original Xbox games on the Xbox One? Technically, I'm sure it would be easy. But, will they have to pay Nvidia (again)? And will it emulate EVERY original Xbox game? Like I said in a previous thread, there are still plenty of Xbox games that you can't play anywhere other than original Xbox hardware. It would be great if MS could prevent those games from blinking out of existence.

Yeah, would definitely have to pay nvidia. I was never sure if there was some minor hardware element involved in BC that was also used (perhaps something obscure like a drm solution or codec or z-buffer format?)

I'm sure it could be done, and with a standard HDD and enough ram to put the entire HDD scratch space in ram now plus half the disk, it'd probably be faster and have better compatibility. But would publishers give the go ahead, and would MS consider it worth it?

I'd happily pay for a good emulator, especially one that allowed for higher resolutions and added CRT emulating post process effects. Perhaps a small fee could cover this, and satisfy both MS and Nvidia.

Like I said in a previous thread, there are still plenty of Xbox games that you can't play anywhere other than original Xbox hardware. It would be great if MS could prevent those games from blinking out of existence.

Definitely.

GunValkyrie
Blinx the TimeSweeper
Halo Combat Evolved
Project Gotham Racing
Voodoo Vince
Shenmue II
Otogi
Phantom Dust
Ninja Gaiden Black
Knights of the Old Republic
Jade Empire
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Jet Set Radio Future
Crimson Skies
MechAssault
Fable

Definitely.

GunValkyrie
Blinx the TimeSweeper
Halo Combat Evolved
Project Gotham Racing
Voodoo Vince
Shenmue II
Otogi
Phantom Dust
Ninja Gaiden Black
Knights of the Old Republic
Jade Empire
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Jet Set Radio Future
Crimson Skies
MechAssault
Fable

I thought Halo CE and Fable were already on PC.

How does that do me any good if I own the original Xbox versions of those games?

Also, there were a lot of games that were on both PS2 and Xbox. People have used this as an argument against the necessity of emulation for Xbox games. "It's already available on the PS2. Just use PCSX2." But this completely ignores the fact that, most of the time, the Xbox versions of multiplatform games were better (and often the versions had different content).

How does that do me any good if I own the original Xbox versions of those games?.
Even if Like I said in a previous thread, there are still plenty of Xbox games that you can't play anywhere other than original Xbox hardware. It would be great if MS could prevent those games from blinking out of existence.

Sorry if I actually read your sentence for what it said. The fact of the matter is you can play those games [Halo CE and Fable] elsewhere. Your statement of only being able to play those games on xbox hardware is false. How dare I actually inject some facts into the discussion. The nerve of me.

I think we're approaching the subject from two completely different positions.
I was considering the value of adding backwards compatibility to Xbox One. If I have the original Xbox game discs, then being able to play them on XBone is a good thing. If I didn't have those original Xbox game discs, and Microsoft adds BC to Xbone, then I still have to buy them, either for PC or the old Xbox discs.
So, if I have those original Xbox games, then the existence of PC versions really doesn't mean anything to me.
It would seem that you approached the question from the perspective of someone who didn't possess the original Xbox discs. In which case, PC versions are a perfectly valid alternative and make BC support for those games unnecessary.

CE is playable in a large number of places. It's one of the more not-that-screwed-up titles available on 360 emulation, and it was ported to the PC+Mac in 2003; the PC port has also been used in the CEA (360) and MCC (XB1) versions of the game.

Although, everything derived from the PC port is pretty poor. Graphically there's tons of stuff that's out of whack, missing, or replaced, and CEA/MCC doesn't even include the original audio. The 360 emulation version is much more accurate, although not perfect.

Ah, yes, having some solid BC on XO is definitely a value add. I dont know how much of a value others would find in it, but I'd certainly find use for it. I have too large of a back catalog of games I haven't finished or even started. Part of the problem is not wanting to switch over to the X360 and find the original game disc and dig out the old controllers now that I have TV/HTPC running through the XO.

It seems like it would be great to be able to play over 11 years worth of games on a single system (the largest benefit of PC gaming) with the same simplicity of consoles.

They could probably implement this relatively easily.
NVidia royalties which has been mentioned(although they must've come to some sort of arrangement for the 360), but also the royalties and rights to actually sell the games themselves would probably be the biggest obstacles.
Half the studios are probably no longer about or gone through various other studios and publishers etc.

Could sell the emu as a once of for few dollars to offset some of the development and for NVidia.
Games should cost $0.50-$2 i.e. extremely cheap.

Would it be a money maker, nope, but that's not the point of it.
OG Xbox, 360, XO bullet points and kudos etc (and for the very few people that would actually use it)

As I no longer own any original Xbox game discs, I wouldn't too terribly interested. If they make those games available digitally & cheap, I might be interested. I wonder if the "Xbox Originals" that were on the 360 would be able come over? Unfortunately I don't think I bought any of those either.

Tommy McClain

I think the marketing value of being able to have all 3 Xbox's games playable in one box makes it worth it.

Emphasizes the heritage and legacy of Xbox too.

Definitely worth pursuing.

Vote here if you want to see it:

https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/2.../6032159-original-xbox-backward-compatibility

Can fan support convince MS it's worth doing? Would publishers of old original Xbox titles go along with it? What would it take to make an emulator run on an emulator (original Xbox to 360 to One), or would a direct original Xbox to Xbox One emulator (X86/Nvidia-X86/AMD) be the route?

Original Xbox and Xbox 360 compatibility, truly Xbox One!
Voted! For the reasons many others explained already, especially the software legacy and enabling the Xbox to become a full BC brand like a PC. I want many Xbox original games to be playable. Especially games like Ninja Gaiden Black and Project Gotham Racing 2, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc, but I don't have time now to make a list.

Back