Doom [2016]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey the lawnmower laser gun in Painkiller is pretty mêlée.
Not really comparable, yes? ;)

And, also, Painkiller does have some kind of story intro.
Yes, like I said, it has some pre-rendered stuff. You don't experience any storytelling in the actual levels though.

PK was a really good shooter, but I think it would have been even better if they'd worked more within the framework of their lore they created, and made the levels a more cohesive whole rather than just unique setpieces that are entirely disjointed. Oh well. I guess it could have been a money thing. :p

Wow check out what the MS autospell does with "mêlée" !!!!
I can't use MS autospelling, because it wants to correct everything I type into Swedish. Ugh. Just unbelievably annoying; in MS's world (just like in Apple's, incidentally), nobody is bi-lingual... Also, my original Win8 install had a bug where it was impossible to turn off the autocorrection; to get rid of it you had to nuke the actual files responsible for it from the windows folder, which wasn't all that easy either since windows has some low-level service whatsitscalled claiming ownership to all system files, making it difficult to delete them. I nearly had an aneurysm of pure rage before I finally managed to get it done...

Not really comparable, yes? ;)

Yes, like I said, it has some pre-rendered stuff. You don't experience any storytelling in the actual levels though.

PK was a really good shooter, but I think it would have been even better if they'd worked more within the framework of their lore they created, and made the levels a more cohesive whole rather than just unique setpieces that are entirely disjointed. Oh well. I guess it could have been a money thing. :p

I can't use MS autospelling, because it wants to correct everything I type into Swedish. Ugh. Just unbelievably annoying; in MS's world (just like in Apple's, incidentally), nobody is bi-lingual... Also, my original Win8 install had a bug where it was impossible to turn off the autocorrection; to get rid of it you had to nuke the actual files responsible for it from the windows folder, which wasn't all that easy either since windows has some low-level service whatsitscalled claiming ownership to all system files, making it difficult to delete them. I nearly had an aneurysm of pure rage before I finally managed to get it done...
I use 4 languages in my computer and autospelling isn't annoying at all -except when I have to delete and rewrite a word like four times before I can use that word-. Haven't you set the languages and keyboard input in your W8.1 OS (you can do that on Pro version)? I did, and I have six settings.

New gameplay trailer, this shows how the game captures the style and atmosphere of Doom 1 and 2 quite better than Doom 3. :) I still hope that coloured keys will play a fundamental role.

Last edited:
Haven't you set the languages and keyboard input in your W8.1 OS (you can do that on Pro version)? I did, and I have six settings.
My scummy OEM license only allows Swedish language, and I've been too cheap to pay through the nose to upgrade it to Pro. MS is being very irritating here, as Mac OSX allows you to set any language supported, while MS reserves that feature for Pro only.

I still hope that coloured keys will play a fundamental role.
We shall see... We did see a ripped-off hand can be used as keys, I don't know if they'll keep the colored keycards though. Maybe they feel that would be too much of a historical throwback? *shrug*

My scummy OEM license only allows Swedish language, and I've been too cheap to pay through the nose to upgrade it to Pro. MS is being very irritating here, as Mac OSX allows you to set any language supported, while MS reserves that feature for Pro only.

We shall see... We did see a ripped-off hand can be used as keys, I don't know if they'll keep the colored keycards though. Maybe they feel that would be too much of a historical throwback? *shrug*
Yup, I don't like that either.. I mean reserving some essential services for non home versions of OSes. I got my Pro license for 30€ because I upgraded from W7 in the first months of Windows 8, after it was released, it was a deal on MS part, and now I can get Windows 10 Pro for free, but it was scary to think I could get the home license and lose all the usefulness of that Pro feature. That's bad policy right there.

The historical throwback is what I'd want. Hordes of mindless monsters, secrets, Knee Deep in the Death difficulty levels, keys.... Always looking for a key, and having the game not warning you about what kind of monsters will be trying to deny you the possession of it.

Simple but super fun mechanics -catering both casuals and core-, easy to play, hard to master, typical Doom --I have Doom 1 and 2 on the X360 (hope they get emulated) with a new campaign and that's how I feel. :smile2:

That really does look absolutely fricken awesome! Exactly as I would expect Doom to look with modern technology. Really can't wait for this one. Lights off, sound up, alcohol at the ready....
At the ready, yes, this reminds me of this video, too, which is always good to have at the ready

:mrgreen:

How cool would it have been if this game sported a realtime 3D rendered head-cam of your space marine showing his facial expressions and nosebleeds etc. as a throwback to the original.

Yeah Wolfy is 1080/60 too with the Bone being more dynamic scaling, but not sure how the new id tech6 would fare on the consoles with the inclusion of new effects such as Bokeh, motion blur and a slew of other things. Would be impressive if any of them maintains 1080p tho.

HMMM. Looks like they aren't using mega textures like they used to. I wonder what that means.

How cool would it have been if this game sported a realtime 3D rendered head-cam of your space marine showing his facial expressions and nosebleeds etc. as a throwback to the original.
This I hope, too. Bethesda have said that the original team behind the new Doom had to be renewed and that the new team of artists and programmers are doing a much better job making the game more like the original. Todd Howard talked about how the previous team had built a game that didn't look nor feel like Doom at all but more like a BattleDoom or Call of Doom. And Doom was never like -and never felt like- that at all.

Doom was a truly fun FPS, a happy-go-lucky game design wise, in my opinion, that catered to anyone, and that's not easy to achieve..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back