Batman Arkham Knight - with x86/GCN consoles, how come we're still getting terrible ports?

• Thread starter Deleted member 11852
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 11852

Sounds like it's an issue on PC as well. Strange.

You think PCs can handle something built by Batman? Get real!

My copy of Knight is in the post. No rush, I must finish the Witcher 3 main quest line first.

The game came out yesterday.

The console versions are stable and are getting great reviews. The PC version is.. broken, to say the least.
Terrible performance on both AMD and nVidia graphics cards:
https://archive.is/0zhU9
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonev...ot-garbage-amd-and-nvidia-users-both-unhappy/
http://wccftech.com/nvidia-encourag...-batman-arkham-knight-due-performance-issues/

AMD just launched a new driver for the game and it doesn't solve much, and not even the new nVidia "Game Ready" driver for this title is solving the stuttering problems on top-end graphics cards like the Titan X.
Also, the game is capped on 30FPS for the PC. Why would anyone in his right mind cap the framerate on the PC?!

The weird thing is that this is a Gameworks title, so there should at least be some kind of seal of quality for nVidia users. Also, if it was developed for the consoles first - where it's running really well even in the XBone - the code shouldn't be that much different for the PCs using GCN GPUs.

With consoles sharing so much of the PCs' architecture, I thought the days of terrible ports were over. They aren't!
What happened here? Did Rocksteady ditch all the code used for the consoles in the PC version, just to use nVidia money gameworks, ending up screwing the whole thing without proper QA?
The game was delayed twice, for a total of 8 months. That didn't give them time to do QA on the PC version?

One thing is going to happen for sure: with Steams new refund policy, the PC version's sales are going to hurt badly, and those bad reviews on the Steam page are probably never going away.
Whatever/however they thought it'd be a good idea to release the game now for the PC, I'm sure they're regretting it now.

Glad I didn't bite last night when I recieved a 40% off voucher from GreenManGaming.

Guess Ill wait until the PS4 version is discounted or the PC version is fixed an in a steam sale.
LazyDevs(TM)?
Ironic if true seeing as they were getting praised by Eurogamer for not wanting to release an unfinished product just a few days ago.

Ironic if true seeing as they were getting praised by Eurogamer for not wanting to release an unfinished product just a few days ago.
Yep. I mentioned that on here too. Well technically, they didn't release an unfinished product. On consoles.

Well, they aren't using DX12, so...
Anyway, although they use GCN on console, remember that this is Nvidia game on PC, so maybe some gameworks stuff isn't optimized for AMD and those GCN stuff on console isn't optimized for Nvidia, thus PC got the worst of both worlds!

My real uneducated answer would be that the lack of low level access to the hardware on PC make it hard for dev to transfer the console optimization to PC. Since this is a console first game, they probably didn't have the time to properly optimize it for PC since the time needed to optimize it were being used to add gameworks stuff.....

I'd love to see how many people will ask for a refund on that game... Now that Steam offers them...

I'd love to see how many people will ask for a refund on that game... Now that Steam offers them...

With more than 1500 negative critic allready on steam .. that dont shape good. The refund service of Steam will be busy for a while.

This said, i hope they can fix it really fast. Seems some tricks and ini edit are working for increase perf and remove a bit the stutters, so there's some hope.

Last edited:
This said, i hope they can fix it really fast. Seems some tricks and ini edit are working for increase perf and remove a bit the stutters, so there's some hope.
Seems a bit of an oversight to go through all the trouble of implementing PC options and just leave out the frame limiter that's a part of the engine, thus requiring said ini edits. :s

The tweaks are a bit more complex than the 30fps caps remove:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/208650/discussions/0/594821545178755667/

Right, well, just talking about the simple frame cap. The performance tweaks seem weird. Doesn't the game default to DX11? Texture and shadow res sound like they're being too anal about forcing settings ala console. Bloom and Reflections should be options too. :|

edit:

Is the game not triple buffered? Might explain why window/borderless is smoother - IIRC, windows enforces triple buffer that way.

PC version is getting slammed not only because of the sudden strong increase of sysreq for Radeon users, but also stuttering on all platforms and very poor graphical options [game is locked to 30fps by default].

edit - Jim Sterling just posted

Right, well, just talking about the simple frame cap. The performance tweaks seem weird. Doesn't the game default to DX11? Texture and shadow res sound like they're being too anal about forcing settings ala console. Bloom and Reflections should be options too. :|

edit:

Is the game not triple buffered? Might explain why window/borderless is smoother - IIRC, windows enforces triple buffer that way.

Yeah, i know, well for be honest, i cant test it, dont want pay for the game now, maybe if things shape up better then.

In general i avoid pre order, and i stay far away of day one buy from some series of games like Assassin Creed, Batman.... I use AMD gpu's and this make years thoses series have been only troubles on AMD cards ...

Last edited:
WB/Rocksteady has already conditioned me to wait for the GOTY edition. Similarly, CDPR regarding Enhanced Edition. :D Still got other games to play anyway.

crap.jpg

Kinda related, but do PC games actually have compiled code for different architectures?

For example, the min spec linked above for CPU is i5-750 (Nehalem) that didn't include AVX. Seems to me that was the target architecture for the binary, then none of the features/instructions of Sandy Bridge (AVX), Haswell (AVX2) would be supported unless there were separate code paths in the binary. If it's really compiled with only the minspec in mind, PC is leaving a lot of performance on the table.

Back