Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

Grabbed these from Part 4 of the Halo Sprint to E3 video.

Looks like dynamic res is confirmed. It seems the lowest they allow it to drop is 832 (width), highest is 1920. Smooth ramp up/down. These are from a cut-scene. Same thing happens later on when they're roaming around in the warzone map.

FWIW, I still find only a fixed 3/4 ratio for height, so maybe that's why the stats only list width.

The width changes very very quickly, so it seems they are rather aggressive in maintaining the target framerate.

Called it...

Looks like dynamic res is confirmed. It seems the lowest they allow it to drop is 832 (width), highest is 1920. Smooth ramp up/down. These are from a cut-scene. Same thing happens later on when they're roaming around in the warzone map.

FWIW, I still find only a fixed 3/4 ratio for height, so maybe that's why the stats only list width.

The width changes very very quickly, so it seems they are rather aggressive in maintaining the target framerate.
Totally cool with dynamic resolution to get locked 60fps!

Wasn't the current E3 build 30fps?

Most footage presented to the press may be encoded at 30fps?

i am sure if it was only 30fps outrage would have swept forth and we would know of the downgrade.

that said alnets image captured from the sprint videos show a target of 33ms which is 30fps unless they are rendering frames in parallel to keep 60fps?

Really? That's the first I have heard.

I'm not a 100% sure. I've only seen 1080p/30fps video of the E3 build. I could be wrong, but for the most part it looks like 30fps gameplay, with dips.

that said alnets image captured from the sprint videos show a target of 33ms which is 30fps unless they are rendering frames in parallel to keep 60fps?

Maybe 30fps for SP and 60fps for MP? I would think the eye-candy gamers would want 30fps for SP and 60fps for the hardcore MP gamers.

Gamersyde has some 60fps footage of the conference demo, albeit only off-screen. It's clearly running at 60, though.

The off-screen capture isn't making the case for 60fps - actually the opposite.

Edit: Now this looks like 60fps gameplay for the most part. The gun reloading, running, jumps, reactions - just looks faster.

Maybe, SP (campaign mode) might be 30fps and MP 60fps.

Last edited:

So dynamic res from 832x810 to 1920x810? they are really serious at maintaining those 60fps.

If they could make it to 1080 for height and just use the horizontal bicubic scaler thingy mode, that might lead to the best looking way of handing dynamic res. Maybe allowing tearing in the overscan area could help them buy a little extra if the following months of optimisation aren't enough.

Any idea what kind of buffer formats they might be using? Would be interesting to know at what point they can squeeze everything into esram...

Noticed this in the last Episode of The Sprint too
dynamicr6vu5b.png

Back