AMD: Pirate Islands (R* 3** series) Speculation/Rumor Thread

Thanks.
So 290X had 208W for 1000MHz and 390X is going to be 208W for 1100MHz.
Some improvement.

The MSI 290X Gaming has a default clock of 1030MHz in gaming mode and 1040MHz in OC mode. So The default for 390X could be closer to 1050MHz than 1100.

Yeah, just the "X" implies either "10" or "what?" to me. Another letter wouldn't have hurt, having an XL and LE or something easy to distinguish performance by.

I think Unwinder might go after them if they tried that, and I'd be rooting for him! :devilish:

The Fury eXistenZ , "it bends reality". For a hundred bucks more you can get the Allegra Geller autographed version. :)
Make a heck of a game bundle! ;) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existenz

At this point, AMD dont even need to create marketing, forums guys are doing it for them .. discussing during hundreds of post why an X, or an Y , why red or blue, why green and white.

I'm all for dropping "Radeon" and bringing back "Rage".

Besides, the X in "Fury X" makes it look like they couldn't figure out anything better than to copy nVidia Titan's suffixes.

Copying NVIDIA's suffixes? AMD had been using it for a while (280 and 280X, 290 and 290X). But really, both vendors have used it a lot in the past. Remember the Radeon X1950 XTX? Or this? http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/xfx-geforce-7900-gtx-xxx-edition,1.html

Apparently, X is a letter that computes pixels much faster.

Copying NVIDIA's suffixes? AMD had been using it for a while (280 and 280X, 290 and 290X). But really, both vendors have used it a lot in the past. Remember the Radeon X1950 XTX?

Yeah, it is kind of interesting. It was the X1950 XT, followed by the faster X1950 XTX.
Back then, they didn't find it necessary to call the new card X1970 XT.... with those not so significant performance changes.

Anyways, the Radeon R9 Fury X is one very compact and sexy card.
I guess the competition will eat their fingernails with envy. :D

BTW, the picture of the R7 370 shows a connector for a Crossfire bridge, meaning this is definitely the (very, very) old Pitcairn.
You mean Curacao, Pitcairn and Curacao are not the same even though everyone assumed so for a long long time
(OpenCL 1.2 vs 2.0, and as The Stilt pointed on another forum, "project number" changed from 215-0828xxx to 215-0848xxx with Pitcairn > Curacao change, and that apparently isn't done just for new stepping or such)

I thought 290X was 250W; that would be an improvement.
Hawaii was 208 watt for GPU.

ah... too late.

You mean Curacao, Pitcairn and Curacao are not the same even though everyone assumed so for a long long time
(OpenCL 1.2 vs 2.0, and as The Stilt pointed on another forum, "project number" changed from 215-0828xxx to 215-0848xxx with Pitcairn > Curacao change, and that apparently isn't done just for new stepping or such)
It is not conclusive evidence, but as I've posted earlier, also Cape Verde supports OpenCL 2.0 in the meantime, I assume Pitcairn as well.

Last edited:
It is not conclusive evidence, but as I've posted earlier, also Cape Verde supports OpenCL 2.0 in the meantime, I assume Pitcairn as well.
Only Cape Verdes in HD8000M and Rx 2xx, not HD7000/HD8000 (OEM). No idea why only Pitcairn got it's name changed with the update, and not Cape Verde. Also Oland was never GCN 1.0 apparently, as it supports OpenCL 2.0 too

It is the same chip. AMD's Dave Baumann has said so on this forum.

R9 280X and R9 270X are taking advantage of some process updates; not ones that require new masks, but the product definitions are now optimized for the process changes. R9 270X also has a new PCB layout for optimising the memory performance and getting that PHY up to 5.6Gbps.

Only Cape Verdes in HD8000M and Rx 2xx, not HD7000/HD8000 (OEM). No idea why only Pitcairn got it's name changed with the update, and not Cape Verde. Also Oland was never GCN 1.0 apparently, as it supports OpenCL 2.0 too
Since even first-gen Juniper supports OpenCL 2.0 nowadays (https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/1849271/) I don't see, why Cape Verde shouldn't. I bet it's only NOT update in AMDs list.

Last edited:
BestBuy ....

UUQuz1m.jpg

AMD appears to be showing off the AMD Radeon R9 390X and likely the AMD Radeon R9 Fury X to AMD fans that are part of ‘RED TEAM PLUS’ (previously called AMD Advocates). Members appear to be socially active AMD fans that get a ton of swag (think free video cards, SSDs, memory kits and more) to ensure they stay vocal about how awesome AMD products are. It looks like AMD has flown in a small group of RED TEAM Plus members, not the media, to be the first people outside of AMD and the board partners that get to see AMD’s next-generation graphics cards down at the Austin, Texas headquarters of AMD.

http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-shows-radeon-r9-300-series-cards-to-red-team-plus_165838

Best Buy often ignores embargos. What is AMD going to do about it, not ship to Best Buy and lose a lot of money?

Also, the price is probably not representative, as Best Buy cards with lifetime warranties are sold well above market to the kind of people who ship for GPUs at Best Buy.

Back