Nintendo announce: Nintendo NX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe Nintendo are waiting for NX to bring a masterpiece back. They registered Diddy Kong in Europe.. Another Diddy Kong Racing and F-Zero and I'd save money to have a NX.

1433942036-captura-de-pantalla-2015-06-10-a-las-15-13-39.png
Maybe Retro will announce that at E3 for Wii U. You're obsessed with NX which we don't know if its Wii U's true successor and Nintendo already treated it as third pillar like DS was and NX was along side Wii U and 3DS in official slides.

Maybe Retro will announce that at E3 for Wii U. You're obsessed with NX which we don't know if its Wii U's true successor and Nintendo already treated it as third pillar like DS was and NX was along side Wii U and 3DS in official slides.
Obsessed, in what sense? Xbox was my first console... What makes you think NX is not WiiU true successor? Am I missing anything? I don't understand your jargon of "third pillar", I mean.. to me NX is the next evolution of Nintendo's hardware. Calling DS a third pillar also doesn't help things, because DS was a true successor of the GBA, and a great success for Nintendo

Obsessed, in what sense? Xbox was my first console... What makes you think NX is not WiiU true successor? Am I missing anything? I don't understand your jargon of "third pillar", I mean.. to me NX is the next evolution of Nintendo's hardware. Calling DS a third pillar also doesn't help things, because DS was a true successor of the GBA, and a great success for Nintendo
Why are you mentioning Xbox?

I said you were obsessed with NX not Xbox...

You are missing a lot, you didn't do any research to your claim that it is a Wii U successor and you calling a DS a true successor is fallacy since Nintendo themselves said that DS wasn't a GBA successor, are you telling me that Nintendo lied because Nintendo said that DS was a third pillar, they didn't know if its going to be success and then it became and Nintendo then decided to replace GBA with DS by discontinuing GBA in 2007.

Third Pillar means a home console, handheld and then something else that is experimental, like a third wheel.

If the Vita's GPU is close to iPad 3's clocks, then the Mali T760MP2 GPU in the MT6732 would be almost twice as fast, as seen in both GFXBench T-Rex and 3dmark's Ice Storm Unlimited:
http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/mobile/Elephone+P6000/review
http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/mobile/Apple+iPad+3/review

Thanks for the detailed reply. Sounds like we could be in for relatively powerful console hardware from Nintendo in the coming two years then at last !

Do you mean the phrase 'Like a 5th wheel?'. If so you might want to look up what that means ;-)

Edditid for poer speeling
lol That's something that can be described with Sega with Genesis, CD, Game Gear, 32X, Saturn and Nomad. 32X was the fifth wheel and then Nomad too after 32X being discontinued...

You are missing a lot, you didn't do any research to your claim that it is a Wii U successor ...
He doesn't have to. He can express an opinion and then someone else can correct him with some more appropriate information/insight. If we all had to do thorough research before forming opinions and posting, we wouldn't have much to say. A lot of the out-loud thinking here (as most forums) is informal.

The correct response to Cyan here is a link to the slide showing NX alongside the other platforms.

Is it possible that a home console integrates the SOC of their next handheld console, and uses the SOC as secondary chip for I/O, sleeping mode and video recording (even playing most of their handheld games!)? Since a modern mobile SOC is relatively cheap and capable of recording full-hd video.

If it's technically achievable, then NX may be a set of consoles: one is a handheld console, and the other is a home console just like the hybrid of Vita TV and PS4.

Why are you mentioning Xbox?

I said you were obsessed with NX not Xbox...

You are missing a lot, you didn't do any research to your claim that it is a Wii U successor and you calling a DS a true successor is fallacy since Nintendo themselves said that DS wasn't a GBA successor, are you telling me that Nintendo lied because Nintendo said that DS was a third pillar, they didn't know if its going to be success and then it became and Nintendo then decided to replace GBA with DS by discontinuing GBA in 2007.

Third Pillar means a home console, handheld and then something else that is experimental, like a third wheel.
Ok, I didn't do my research. I must admit. But then prove, now that you are asking for scientific proof, that you did your homework and serious research. Because you are sounding like you are stating an opinion rather than a scientific statement.

Your definition sounds a bit grey to me, nor here nor there, because I never ever heard of a similar expression. So my console is a third pillar? Say PS4 or X1 or WiiU, are any of them third pillars? The Xbox One is better than the Wii and I can prove it, that's what I am talking about.

NX and DS for instance sound to me like successors of their predecessors, or maybe a remake. But third pillar?

Last edited:
DS was supposed to be a third pillar. But they scrapped Game Boy successor when DS became successful.
Let's say that your theory is right. Question remains... Do you think NX is the same? If so... What makes you think NX is not a remake, but a third pillar?

We do not know anything about NX. It could be Virtual Boy or Wii Fit type. Virtual Boy was a toy, not a successor to any platform.

Some inner dialogue with yourself I guess.

I am still curious about why @insanepunkclown third pillar theory. I mean.. COME ON, where do you draw the line?
https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/28l-e1426583822781.jpg

The slide shows 6 platforms. Tablet, phone and PC on the left which Nintendo don't produce. 3DS, Wii U and NX on the right. Nintendo have three devices on show - not Wii U + NX nor 3DS + NX. Ergo it's a third Nintendo pillar in likelihood, the way that diagram represents it. Of course, one image doesn't provide total clarity and there may be something else going on with NX, but it's a solid assumption at this point that NX is a third piece of hardware.

https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/28l-e1426583822781.jpg

The slide shows 6 platforms. Tablet, phone and PC on the left which Nintendo don't produce. 3DS, Wii U and NX on the right. Nintendo have three devices on show - not Wii U + NX nor 3DS + NX. Ergo it's a third Nintendo pillar in likelihood, the way that diagram represents it. Of course, one image doesn't provide total clarity and there may be something else going on with NX, but it's a solid assumption at this point that NX is a third piece of hardware.
IF we interpret that slide literally (even though both the 3DS and the WiiU both arguably would be ripe for replacement by then), there are some encouraging aspects to the NX being a third pillar.
The WiiU was defined by three design constraints:
1. Full backwards compatibility with the Wii.
2. Nintendo design ethos, a small unobtrusive device with modest power draw.
3. Designed to a tight budget, (while an expensive controller was an integral part of the package.)

A third pillar could conceivably break with at least the hardware backwards compatibility requirement, which would be very liberating. Of course the NX could break with 2 and 3 as well, but I think that is less likely.
But breaking with hardware backwards compatibility is really enough. A MediaTek SoC on TSMCs cost optimised 16nm FFC process could definitely yield roughly WiiU like levels of performance in a small portable device. And a small AMD APU on Samsung/GFs equivalent cost optimised 14nm process, with for instance a single stack of HBM2 could yield PS4+ levels of performance for a stationary device at 50W or so.

Nintendo regarding the NX as an, at least initially, independent platform would really open up their hardware options.

I think Nintendo tries to make money on hardware, or at least have no loss, so I'd expect 3. to hold true.
A brand new product w/o compatibility could work, note though that the NDS was GBA compatible...

And the 3DS was compatible with DS titles, and the GBA was compatible with the original GameBoy Color cartridges, and Gameboy Color was obviously compatible with GameBoy.

In fact, the only console without backwards compatibility that Nintendo released during the last 18 years was the Gamecube.
They're completely obsessed with it.

In fact, the only console without backwards compatibility that Nintendo released during the last 18 years was the Gamecube.
They're completely obsessed with it.
The only reason why Wii and Wii U are backcompat because Wii is 1.5 GC and Wii U 3x GC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back