Nintendo announce: Nintendo NX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering... is there anything trustzone can do to prevent a piggyback probe directly on the external memory chips?

An ARM core embedded in the South Bridge acting as a gatekeeper on I/O has no oversight on what is happening in main RAM or the CPU. If you're worried about attempts to read the contents of RAM there are a number of options you could do architecturally or electro-mechanically to make this very difficult or indeed, borderline impossible for anybody other than very determined attacker.

Some retailers are waiting for the Nintendo NX to be released. A very important UK retailer is dropping off WiiU support.

http://www.thegamescabin.com/uk-ret...ng-support-for-wii-u-and-wii-u-games-sort-of/
Sure... Lets not be logical nor rational like you Cyan. DS didn't replace GBA so why would NX if its even a home console would replace Wii U when its treated as third pillar and is like DS a risky move, if it fails they stop it and if it succeds then it may replace it like DS replaced GBA.

Sure... Lets not be logical nor rational like you Cyan. DS didn't replace GBA so why would NX if its even a home console would replace Wii U when its treated as third pillar and is like DS a risky move, if it fails they stop it and if it succeds then it may replace it like DS replaced GBA.
Where is the WiiU going then? Let's say you are a reasonable gamer. Without a F-Zero game, nor the best Mario game, you wouldn't have one except if you won one at a raffle. Only Mario Kart might appeal to you, but nothing like F-Zero speed.

Plus Nintendo could re-establish a relationship with 3rd parties, because it doesn't have Capcom games in their library and others. Nintendo's biggest strength is they are purists, but that needs polishing.

Some retailers are waiting for the Nintendo NX to be released. A very important UK retailer is dropping off WiiU support.
In the UK ASDA are a failing supermarket. While they do sell electronics their market share in this market, and the gaming market specifically, is insignificant and probably disappears from visibility when rounding off! :yep2: And they removed the Wii U from stores in July 2013.

So if they go for a two system set up where they both play the same games but enhanced for the home console which also both use ARM processors, how powerful could they potentially be by say limiting the MSRP of the handheld to $199 and the console to $299 and going on the assumption they want to break even on each sale at launch ?

I really hope they hit at least Vita levels of performance for the handheld and Xbox One levels of performance for the home console. The likes of Pikmin 3 and MK8 look great on WiiU but the image quality really lets them down, particularly the jaggies.

I really hope they hit at least Vita levels of performance for the handheld

Nintendo would have to get REALLY creative in order to get a SoC that managed to be slower than the Vita's in 2016.
Mediatek's dirt-cheap MT6732 already seems to largely beat the iPad 3's SGX543MP4. The MT6732 is a quad Cortex A53 SoC with embedded 3G/4G modem that goes into $140 chinese smartphones with 5" 720p IPS screens, 2GB LPDDR3 RAM and 16GB eMMC mass storage. I'm assuming the SoC itself should be $15 at most.
If Nintendo isn't willing to spend that much on the SoC for a $200 console, they'd be.. erm.. as greedy as Nintendo.

Nintendo would have to get REALLY creative in order to get a SoC that managed to be slower than the Vita's in 2016.
Mediatek's dirt-cheap MT6732 already seems to largely beat the iPad 3's SGX543MP4. The MT6732 is a quad Cortex A53 SoC with embedded 3G/4G modem that goes into $140 chinese smartphones with 5" 720p IPS screens, 2GB LPDDR3 RAM and 16GB eMMC mass storage. I'm assuming the SoC itself should be $15 at most.
If Nintendo isn't willing to spend that much on the SoC for a $200 console, they'd be.. erm.. as greedy as Nintendo.

Interesting thanks. How much more powerful would that set up be than 3DS and Vita ? One of the major reasons I think they might fall short of Vita's specs is because Nintendo's franchises don't tend to need powerful hardware because of their artstyle and the fact that third parties won't put PS360 gen like budgets into pushing a handhelds visuals, so would there be much point in creating a handheld much more powerful than Vita ?.

If Nintendo could save $50 per console by matching or falling a little short of Vita's specs then I think it would be a no brainer for them after how Vita has done in terms of the mass market.

Do you know how powerful they could make a console based on a $299 price point and ARM based architecture ? Would PS4 levels of performance be possible for instance ?

A lot of questions I know so thanks if anyone responds :).

Interesting thanks. How much more powerful would that set up be than 3DS and Vita ?
If the Vita's GPU is close to iPad 3's clocks, then the Mali T760MP2 GPU in the MT6732 would be almost twice as fast, as seen in both GFXBench T-Rex and 3dmark's Ice Storm Unlimited:
http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/mobile/Elephone+P6000/review
http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/mobile/Apple+iPad+3/review

There's no way to compare the 3DS' GPU because that PICA 200 doesn't exist in an Android device. Plus, it doesn't seem like the GPU is OpenGL ES 2.0 compliant (no pixel shaders AFAIR).
Though from looking at the games, it's safe to assume that it's a lot slower than the Vita's SGX543MP4 (>5x slower, at least).

One of the major reasons I think they might fall short of Vita's specs is because Nintendo's franchises don't tend to need powerful hardware because of their artstyle and the fact that third parties won't put PS360 gen like budgets into pushing a handhelds visuals, so would there be much point in creating a handheld much more powerful than Vita ?.
Maybe we should be asking the question the other way around.
What would Nintendo gain in developing a SoC that in 2016 manages to perform worse than a Vita? As I mentioned above, there are already very cheap off-the-shelf chips that would run faster and probably consume less than a Vita already.
So what would be the point of spending R&D resources to develop something with the sole purpose of performing like crap?

If Nintendo could save $50 per console by matching or falling a little short of Vita's specs then I think it would be a no brainer for them after how Vita has done in terms of the mass market.
They wouldn't save $50. They probably wouldn't even save a single dollar. The Vita's design is now 5 years old. It's not powerful by any modern standards anymore. Why the determination of making something slower?

Do you know how powerful they could make a console based on a $299 price point and ARM based architecture ? Would PS4 levels of performance be possible for instance ?
At this point, it depends on how much profit Nintendo would be willing to make on the console's release, and the date of release.
For a late 2016/ early 2017 release, I believe they could order AMD to build a ~4B transistor SoC with 8GB HBM2 using 14/16nm and put it in a tiny $300 console, if they were willing to sell the consoles at little to no profit. That would definitely get them leveled with - or even surpassing - the PS4, no matter which architecture they chose. They would, however, need to step up on the power budget compared to their last 3 console generations, which is another thing where Nintendo is crazily conservative.

Dropping support != waiting for NX
Maybe Nintendo are waiting for NX to bring a masterpiece back. They registered Diddy Kong in Europe.. Another Diddy Kong Racing and F-Zero and I'd save money to have a NX.

1433942036-captura-de-pantalla-2015-06-10-a-las-15-13-39.png

Maybe Nintendo are waiting for NX to bring a masterpiece back. They registered Diddy Kong in Europe.. Another Diddy Kong Racing and F-Zero and I'd save money to have a NX.
And knocking out rehashes of titles I've played to death for generations is a strategy guaranteed to ensure I won't buy a NX.

And knocking out rehashes of titles I've played to death for generations is a strategy guaranteed to ensure I won't buy a NX.
Do you mean rehashes of F-Zero or Diddy Kong? A new F-Zero hasn't been published in 11 years. And Diddy Kong Racing is my favourite kart game, which I played via emulation, but no kart game got me as hooked, save some Mario Kart classic game.

The WiiU is 8 years newer than the 360. It really took some doing not to make it much, much faster!
You're off by a whole year, its 7 not 8 years also please keep making yourself look like a fool by claiming that Wii U isn't much more powerful because of Nintendo's lack of technicall skill rather than accept that Nintendo isn't aiming for highest performance and rather efficiency and low power consumption plus lets ignore that streaming to the gamepad takes resources too like streaming games on PS4 and XO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back