Apple WWDC 2015 Presentation (OSX, iOS)

Grall

Invisible Member
Legend
Lots of stuff shown, some of it pretty rad. Splitscreen for iPad; finally happening. Software optimizations finally happening too. Kind of feels like the first time ever, although that's not exactly true, as some work in that direction was done with both Windows 7 and 8, with regards to boot time at least.

And Swift, going open source. Will a windows port be very far off, after this happens?

And that iPad splitscreen stuff! Wow, pretty awesome, I'd think. Power users could really take advantage of some of the new interactions possible with two apps side-by-side. I'm too lame to get into that stuff very much, but having say, my Sonos controller up at the same time as browsing the web would be really nice, I'd say. It would spare me some time lost flipping back and forth between apps just for checking what the name and artist for the current playing track is, or to skip to another track should I stumble upon a dud tune...

What was the most impressing impression to anyone else who might also have watched the conference? For me, definitely the splitscreen thing. Metal for OSX was just icing on the cake in comparison; still cake of course, so yummy and good of course, but not really something to get panties in a wad over or anything like that. Apple Music app was pretty meh, lots of talk and hype, and not really all that much to care about. I've got Spotify myself, so I'm pretty settled. I might not be able to listen to any of the beatles' tunes, but heck, that old turd McCartney has too damn much money as it is, so that's just as well really.

I suppose if iPad was your main device, you'd be pretty happy with today's presentation ;)
Other than that, I was happy with the streaming family price lol. Everything else is a nice iteration.

Wow thanks for the heads up. Just saw the presentation on multitasking and split screen and it looks great.

I use the iPad for work and this makes it a lot, a lot more useful during my day.

Not much to get really excited about in today's presentation. But it took a couple of months for iOS 8 to reach the stability of iOS 9, so I'm happy with just minor improvements.

Lots of stuff shown, some of it pretty rad. Splitscreen for iPad; finally happening. Software optimizations finally happening too. Kind of feels like the first time ever, although that's not exactly true, as some work in that direction was done with both Windows 7 and 8, with regards to boot time at least.

And Swift, going open source. Will a windows port be very far off, after this happens?

And that iPad splitscreen stuff! Wow, pretty awesome, I'd think. Power users could really take advantage of some of the new interactions possible with two apps side-by-side. I'm too lame to get into that stuff very much, but having say, my Sonos controller up at the same time as browsing the web would be really nice, I'd say. It would spare me some time lost flipping back and forth between apps just for checking what the name and artist for the current playing track is, or to skip to another track should I stumble upon a dud tune...

What was the most impressing impression to anyone else who might also have watched the conference? For me, definitely the splitscreen thing. Metal for OSX was just icing on the cake in comparison; still cake of course, so yummy and good of course, but not really something to get panties in a wad over or anything like that. Apple Music app was pretty meh, lots of talk and hype, and not really all that much to care about. I've got Spotify myself, so I'm pretty settled. I might not be able to listen to any of the beatles' tunes, but heck, that old turd McCartney has too damn much money as it is, so that's just as well really.

Heh, pretty cool that Apple is unabashedly copying Windows now. :) That's a good thing, BTW. Good ideas should be implemented regardless of who originated them.

Kind of funny though. Apple is now copying the split screen from Windows 8 metro apps. Meanwhile Windows is moving to metro apps being windows.

Regards,
SB

watched the 12 minutes WWDC on the verge...
apple copying windows and samsung and swiftkey and people are cheering. When samsung copy apple, people hates it. O_O

copying each other is GOOD. No need to reinvent the wheel when somebody else already invented a wheel.

btw the one thing i noticed when watching the video and looking at the supported device: Im pretty sure those wont be as "smooth looking" on older devices :p
or here hopefully apple will properly optimize for older devices*

*last time i remembered, iOS update makes ipHone 4 slow. But i did not havei phone, i just sometime "play with it" when i meet my rich friend.

The iPhone 4 had some real issues that were later mitihated somewhat. The 4S did fine. Otherwise they do a pretty decent job though. Multitasking will be good for me personally.

Software optimizations finally happening too. Kind of feels like the first time ever, although that's not exactly true, as some work in that direction was done with both Windows 7 and 8, with regards to boot time at least.
Maybe you're a recent Mac owner but OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard was an entire OS revision that focussed on OS platform technology improvements and software optimisations. The move from 10.5 to 10.6 for most meant the OS Install was almost halved and it ran a whole lot faster on the same hardware.

Metal for OSX was certainly a surprise and I wonder if will limit the choice of GPUs going forward. Frankly it's hard to understand how Apple are going to deliver on this in the long term but perhaps they've devolved support to AMD and Nvidia. Crazy lengths to go to improve CPU/GPU efficiency and save battery life. This is certainly not being driven by better gaming.

Last edited by a moderator:
apple copying windows and samsung and swiftkey and people are cheering. When samsung copy apple, people hates it. O_O
Isn't that always how people work though? When my team does something good, it's good; when the opposite team is good, they're crap. Not that I would know who exactly invented what originally; I don't use swiftkey, I don't own Samsung phones, I just enjoy new features when they appear for my devices.

Also, the text prediction stuff isn't even working for me, as Apple doesn't support Swedish for that; all I get is spelling correction and the dictionary isn't all that big either. Thanks, Apple... :-?

btw the one thing i noticed when watching the video and looking at the supported device: Im pretty sure those wont be as "smooth looking" on older devices :p
I think they've rightly felt the criticism this time and will not sabotage older devices, as slowing them down yet again would make them almost completely unusable, or at least very painful to use. Since they're not dropping anything in their currently supported product line-up, they're going to have to optimize. Also, not all features will be supported across the line, for example the picture in picture live video thing, will that work for all older devices? It looked hella smooth in the presentation; it would be awful if your ipad 2 stuttered during playback just because of its ancient hardware... *shrug*

*last time i remembered, iOS update makes ipHone 4 slow.
Yes, that's true. There was a significant loss of perfomance, very likely deliberately. However I think the last couple updates, and this one in particular, both for Macs and iPhones, signal somewhat of a shift in attitude for Apple in this regard. Maybe because of the influence of Tim Cook versus Steve Jobs, I dunno, but it seems they now feel that by supporting older devices and make people happy that their older stuff works, they keep customers rather than having them bail to android (or hell - windows!)

They also simultaneously make their developers happy by offering a bigger pool of devices to sell their wares to, versus old Apple philosophy seems to have been more of a 'deprecate the oldest devices to force people to upgrade, slow down not quite as old devices to nudge people to upgrade' way of thinking. More of a goad people into buying new devices over everything else way of thinking.

New Apple - if this is an allowed description, heh - under Cook seems to feel that if people own and use their devices, invest in apps and Apple services, then they will be more likely to buy another Apple device when they DO decide to upgrade; no need to poke them with a cattleprod to upgrade their stuff, they'll do so voluntarily anyway when the new shiny stuff gets too tempting, or they simply accidentally drop their current stuff on a concrete floor and it breaks... :D

@DSoup I bought my Macbook Pro in may of 2011, a couple months before OSX Lion was released, I don't recall which OS it had originally though. So this is the first OSX version I had significant experience of. When I first bought that Mac, it booted very fast. Upgrading it to Lion slowed down boot time a LOT; I assumed it was because of disk fragmentation due to the upgrade process, but subsequent disk formats and re-installs did not fix this, so I dunno. Will be interesting to see how my now old clunker of a laptop will run this version of OSX, if maybe boot times will drop back down to what they used to be like!

Last edited:
Yes, following a significant string of beta / developer preview releases. So you can expect something very similar now.

Back