NX Gamer Discusses Game Tech *spin* [2015 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trademark that name now!!!
A+fistful+of+dollars.jpg

GIF-bug-eyes-Daffy-Duck-do-want-dollar-signs-greed-greedy-money-GIF.gif

That still doesn't have anything to do with what Umbra is meant for.

This looks like just an algorithm that's too aggressive (to aid visibility of the combat area surrounding Geralt, although seemingly not considering the view camera distance as well?).
I don't find the algorithm to be imprecise, perhaps it's a bit precipitous at times, but in that jungle of plants and trees, so much thicket, which feels very realistic btw, it can help the gameplay.

I must say, I'm shocked and disappointed that no one on here has taken the time to transcribe the whole video for us busy folk to speed-read through. I thought this was a serious forum :nope:
There are a few Chrome extensions that will do voice to text from Youtube if you really want to give them a go. I watched the video a few days back and boy, can that guy talk. He's talks almost non-stop and at a very fast pace, there a very few pauses at all.

I would be interested to see a transcribed version of the video as well. I think it'd be looooooooong.

Someone write a long post about NX Gamer video. Dark 10 John Linneman from Digitalfoundry agree with most of NX Gamer conclusion but disagree with 2 or 3 things...

I think the difficulty with transcribing an NX gamer video talk to text is that NX Gamer a lot of video to demonstrate the narrative. Without screenshots at the very least, and probably a lot of video snippets, the narrative may not make a huge amount of sense.

He mentioned "Color depth look 16-bit rather than 32-bit on consoles"
So deep color isn't enabled or am i misunderstanding this?
What the color depth of most console games?

He mentioned "Color depth look 16-bit rather than 32-bit on consoles"
So deep color isn't enabled or am i misunderstanding this?
What the color depth of most console games?
He is talking about the shadows in that shot he shows, they are lower than the PC's lowest setting.

NX gamer reviews the latest PS4 1.04 patch. Camera stutter as expected is totally gone, but the game is still double buffered on PS4.

The whole video and notably the part at 6:15 is really interesting, in this video and at 6.15 he mostly compares PS4 and XB1 in the very similar GPU taxing swamp area, fighting with several enemies (no fast travel test in the city here comparing the streaming abilities of both consoles :LOL:).

Anyway the XB1 game almost constantly fluctuates from 24 to 29 and rarely even hits 30fps in the swamp area during the whole video, PS4 is surprisingly more consistently at 30fps (in the swamps) but when it drops more than one or 2 frames it directly goes down to 20fps. Also XB1 has big frame-time spikes in the swamp (when already running under 30fps) like at 3:59,4:07 and 4:11 meaning that if the game was capped at 20fps like on PS4, then the XB1 game would inevitably drop at 19fps or 18fps on the fps counter...:yep2:

I've noticed the PS4 framerate dips when you're near an area that will trigger a cutscene. It feels like the game is anticipating the cutscene and begins buffering it when you are anywhere near. I've noticed this a couple of times where the framerate has nosedived in places where the engine shouldn't really be under stress, then BAM! KAPOW! cutscene..

I've noticed the PS4 framerate dips when you're near an area that will trigger a cutscene. It feels like the game is anticipating the cutscene and begins buffering it when you are anywhere near. I've noticed this a couple of times where the framerate has nosedived in places where the engine shouldn't really be under stress, then BAM! KAPOW! cutscene..
Nice find.

NX gamer reviews the latest PS4 1.04 patch. Camera stutter as expected is totally gone, but the game is still double buffered on PS4.

The whole video and notably the part at 6:15 is really interesting, in this video and at 6.15 he mostly compares PS4 and XB1 in the very similar GPU taxing swamp area, fighting with several enemies (no fast travel test in the city here comparing the streaming abilities of both consoles :LOL:).

Anyway the XB1 game almost constantly fluctuates from 24 to 29 and rarely even hits 30fps in the swamp area during the whole video, PS4 is surprisingly more consistently at 30fps (in the swamps) but when it drops more than one or 2 frames it directly goes down to 20fps. Also XB1 has big frame-time spikes in the swamp (when already running under 30fps) like at 3:59,4:07 and 4:11 meaning that if the game was capped at 20fps like on PS4, then the XB1 game would inevitably drop at 19fps or 18fps on the fps counter...:yep2:

DF made a stress test video 6 days ago, patch 1.3. The results differ:

The swamp area is fine in the XB1 version, for the most part, taking into account what kind of test is that. I just hope patch 1.4 doesn't degrade the framerate. The game seems to run at 30 fps like 90+% of the game -Novigrad could have spikces, but not so noticeable, the swamp isn't that ad either. I am in the 1.3 version of the game, I played yesterday night -XB1- and the patches apply automatically, am I missing anything?

DF made a stress test video 6 days ago, patch 1.3. The results differ:

The swamp area is fine in the XB1 version, for the most part, taking into account what kind of test is that. I just hope patch 1.4 doesn't degrade the framerate. The game seems to run at 30 fps like 90+% of the game -Novigrad could have spikces, but not so noticeable, the swamp isn't that ad either. I am in the 1.3 version of the game, I played yesterday night -XB1- and the patches apply automatically, am I missing anything?

Watch again, results are very similar than NX gamer's in the purely swamps area, but it's obviously not at the beginning of their video.

From 1:10 to 1:48 the XB1 game never even reaches 30fps once with a constant fluctuating framerate (from 25 to 29), capped 20fps on PS4 with fluctuations too, and again they only did a fast travel test, like if they wanted to stress test one version more, as fast as they could on the horse...They didn't stop to fight a few enemies like NX gamer and that's what you often do during quests and stuff.

But during those ~30 seconds the XB1 game runs at 30fps 0% of the time indeed, not 90%, similar to what NX gamer video showed.

Now analyse closely when they stop the horse and walk near the house (still in the middle of the swamp) from 1:51 to 2:02, it's the PS4 game that now reaches more often 30fps than the XB1 game...

Like what NX gamer video showed, when you are not fast traveling on your horse (walking, questing or fighting), in the swamps, the PS4 game reaches more consistently 30fps. And I suspect it's the same thing in the cities too, the streaming involved during fast traveling must be straining the framerate on PS4 more than on the XB1 version. It could be interesting to test the PS4 version with a SSD installed...Do we know what HDD DF use on their test machines?

We can see on the latest DF PS4 video 1.03 vs 1.04 (when the 2 versions are ideally synced), that the drops usually happen at the same exact moment which could be easily explained if those happen during the same streamed loading process. And what about those textures that need several seconds (an eternity in computing!) more to load on PS4 in some cases in the city compared to the XB1 game? A CPU bottleneck couldn't explain that kind of loading anomalies. Could it be because of the directX nature of this game that could explain those differences? Because those problems never happen in Sony first party games.

I've stumbled across someone every part his equal in game analysis in Karak of AngryCentaurGaming

Check out one of his videos here:
If you like NXGamer Watch the full thing its worth it

Eh, he's annoying and not very accurate. When he starts talking about AF on the PS4 (which he doesn't even call by name), he goes off the rails. He sounds like someone who is just repeating crap he read on the web and has no personal experience beyond what he reads. He also doesn't have a British accent...

Edit: He says V-sync makes the frame rate match the monitor refresh rate. Oh boy.

Eh, he's annoying and not very accurate. When he starts talking about AF on the PS4 (which he doesn't even call by name), he goes off the rails. He sounds like someone who is just repeating crap he read on the web and has no personal experience beyond what he reads. He also doesn't have a British accent...

Edit: He says V-sync makes the frame rate match the monitor refresh rate. Oh boy.
Well he did say that he was going to speak in laymens terms. Anisotropic filtering isn't going to make much sense to the average layman gamer. Neither is the would the term oblique angle. So its better to say horizontal facing and vertical facing textures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back