Nintendo announce: Nintendo NX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard last night that their info was lost in translation, and that what they said was their OS would be similar to Android, meaning that it would run across multiple devices. Oh well, I think the Android thing would have benefited them, but its not surprising that its inaccurate either.
The subtitle of nikkei article is "OS is android", and the article says "OS is toward loading google's android". These words are in the original article.

Nintendo replies that NX doesn't adopt android.

It is very interesting because if nintendo uses an android-based OS and give it a new name, then they can claim their OS is not android, and I think that nikkei didn't use precise words to describe the information. They just said "OS is android"^^

As for Android being slow, what model phone and Android? Google have done a lot to improve it, but manufacturer's front ends can slow it down.
Out of curiosity, what make/model/carrier phone do you have, and what are you comparing it too?
A Samsung Galaxy Ace compared to any Lumia or my brother's Xperia.

Gotta add that I dislike smartphones, I'd be happier with a typical mobile of the 2000s decade.
What lack of security?
Android has been jailbroken and it's very easy to do that in fact.

My $100 bet is that Ouya failed mainly for a very, very simple reason: intolerable latency issues with the gamepad.
Many people were looking at it as the next best thing for emulation and imaginative 2D or simple 3D games.
The gamepad issues killed it all in one fell swoop.

As for the NX using a forked Linux/Android: makes sense to me.
Even more sense if the NX ends up having (or being) a tablet controller capable of actually playing pre-authorized Android games.
I'd add to that that people thought Ouya asked for an online connection to work, which in the end it only happens once, I think.

Still, this article expands on the subject.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/ways-ouya-console-failed,review-1881.html

The subtitle of nikkei article is "OS is android", and the article says "OS is toward loading google's android". These words are in the original article.

Nintendo replies that NX doesn't adopt android.

It is very interesting because if nintendo uses an android-based OS and give it a new name, then they can claim their OS is not android, and I think that nikkei didn't use precise words to describe the information. They just said "OS is android"^^
Nintendo are... Nintendo. I don't see them working with another company on their console, much less an american giant like Google.

Nintendo should't use Android OS because of the fact that it was hacked with each iteration and version even when mobile manufacturers modified the OS to lock it down, it still was cracked...

For comparison 3DS OS hasn't been hacked/broken in nor Wii U's OS.

Are you sure that people that use the voice chat are actual majority or a loud minority?

I think so, the most popular game in the world is Call of Duty, and I would bet a large portion of those gamers use voice chat. You can always mute voice chat, and the developer can even have it turned off as the default option. I guess I am of the opinion that there will be potential customers turned off by the lack of voice chat and will choose not to buy it, would people actually not buy a game just because it has voice chat that wont be turned on unless you manually do so? Seems like having it is a win win to me.

Nintendo should't use Android OS because of the fact that it was hacked with each iteration and version even when mobile manufacturers modified the OS to lock it down, it still was cracked...

For comparison 3DS OS hasn't been hacked/broken in nor Wii U's OS.
Wrong comparison. The vendor security and encryption are above the OS.

A Samsung Galaxy Ace compared to any Lumia or my brother's Xperia.
Many reviews of the Ace phones pass comment on the lack of performance which is to be expected of a mid-range phone. The Ace, like many Android phones, can also suffer a performance dip if you upgrade it to latter versions of Android.

Android has been jailbroken and it's very easy to do that in fact.

A bit like iOS and Windows Phone. Or indeed most operating systems that are not completely locked down like a console.

I apologize for being a bit harsh towards you, but that does not excuse that you now have attempted to frame/label me as a "mindless fanboy" due to not agreeing with your opinion/view.
You lead with wild, somewhat insulting claim that "You guys are hilarious with Nintendo using someone else's OS." without any justification for that POV. You then rejected an opinion because it disagreed with you without entering into an debate about it, claiming two long time board members were too blindly prejudiced to have a legitimate argument. If I'm wrong, present the evidence I'm wrong. Don't instantly say I'm prejudiced and leave it at that. You have not presented a single reason why Android would be a bad idea; only an assertion that it's stupid for Nintendo to do anything but write their own OS and people are crazy for thinking otherwise.

Why didn't you do that what you asking me to do? Please answer the question because you only made claims like for example in this reply/post of yours;
I recall the Wii U owners' thread on this forum. The system was a mess. Nintendo have also made a persistant mess of online and are collaborating with an existing online gaming company to address that, by accounts. They also have struggled to update their development skills and hardware philosophies with the times - their tools are reportedly bad and difficult, and their system design doesn't support proper multithreading it seems. I should back these up with links but some of us have more important things to do than spend hours trawling the net for links! ;) You can look these up yourself if you don't believe me. Maybe you'd find some solid links proving me wrong?

As these machines become more multifunctional, the OSes become more complex with far more potential for (critical) errors. Sony went with BSD for their OS. MS uses their Windows experience. What reason is there to think Nintendo, with their past record, is well positioned to roll their own operating system when none of the other companies with a stronger software track record dared?

For example on Wikipedia I used these articles to have an educated opinion on the subject which you directed on me with your reply on my post in which I expressed my view.
What exactly to these links show?

As an aside, please add quotes when replying. Use a (quote) tag in square brackets instead of normal at the beginning of a piece of quoted text, and (/quote) in square brackets at the end. I've edited your post to add these and make it clearer.

I heard last night that their info was lost in translation, and that what they said was their OS would be similar to Android, meaning that it would run across multiple devices. Oh well, I think the Android thing would have benefited them, but its not surprising that its inaccurate either.
Also the rumour was that Nintendo were considering it, not that they had settled on it. Perhaps once upon a time they were. But Nintendo rolling not only their own OS, but also a multiplatform OS?! Maybe the idea is the unified hardware as they've talked about before?

Both 3DS and Wii U hacked long ago.

There is even piracy on 3DS for a long time.

Absolutely correct!

WiiU was hacked by the very nature of it being an extension of Wii which was an extension of Gamecube. The hacks were all derivative of the previous hacks. The WiiU is absolutely hacked in the same means the Wii was, you can pirate copy ALL of their games and run them off sdd or hdd or even sdxc cards.

The 3ds can also be pirated exactly the same way.

Only someone truly ignorant of reality would state that neither system has been hacked. The question is why are they ignorant, is it through blind faith and love of a company or is it through not reading any of the existing information? If its the first, they will not fit in here. If its the latter, they need to recognize their ignorance and not pass themselves off as an expert, otherwise they will not fit in here.

Both 3DS and Wii U hacked long ago.

There is even piracy on 3DS for a long time.
Absolutely correct!

WiiU was hacked by the very nature of it being an extension of Wii which was an extension of Gamecube. The hacks were all derivative of the previous hacks. The WiiU is absolutely hacked in the same means the Wii was, you can pirate copy ALL of their games and run them off sdd or hdd or even sdxc cards.

The 3ds can also be pirated exactly the same way.

Only someone truly ignorant of reality would state that neither system has been hacked. The question is why are they ignorant, is it through blind faith and love of a company or is it through not reading any of the existing information? If its the first, they will not fit in here. If its the latter, they need to recognize their ignorance and not pass themselves off as an expert, otherwise they will not fit in here.

I am wrong about 3DS, I forgot about Cubic Ninja exploit though 3DS operating system hasn't been hacked while I guess they have access to the hardware while for Wii U I am not sure since they have only partial access to Wii U and not complete one on like they had on Wii and have that access to legacy Wii hardware on Wii U and not a full access to non-legacy Wii U hardware.

"You lead with wild, somewhat insulting claim that "You guys are hilarious with Nintendo using someone else's OS." without any justification for that POV."
You want it to believe that it is insulting because you maybe don't know the meaning of the word hilarious and that means or can be described as "extremely amusing", so I doubt that you believe that telling someone that is amusing is an insult.

No justification... It seems you're resorting to a lie or ignoring that I wrote this or both:
You can run android applications on Windows and Ubuntu via an application designed to do so.

"You then rejected an opinion because it disagreed with you without entering into an debate about it, claiming two long time board members were too blindly prejudiced to have a legitimate argument."
You didn't have legitimate argument not because I said so nor because it disagreed with me since you want to think it that way, but because of information that I found on the web that negates your argument and history by the actual history from a neutral source.

"If I'm wrong, present the evidence I'm wrong. Don't instantly say I'm prejudiced and leave it at that.".

I have, you have apparently ignored it in this post and you are prejudiced due to your bold claims that are false.

"You have not presented a single reason why Android would be a bad idea; only an assertion that it's stupid for Nintendo to do anything but write their own OS and people are crazy for thinking otherwise.".

Ignoring this? I am pretty sure you are;
You are being naive as it is not that simple, it is like saying Apple should use Windows which has DirectX and supports Open GL/Vulkan too yet that would't be in the interest of Apple as it is about having complete control over their product.

"I recall the Wii U owners' thread on this forum. The system was a mess. Nintendo have also made a persistant mess of online and are collaborating with an existing online gaming company to address that, by accounts.

As I said before, should we live in the past? Were you living in the past when it came to PlayStation 3?

"They also have struggled to update their development skills and hardware philosophies with the times - their tools are reportedly bad and difficult, and their system design doesn't support proper multithreading it seems. I should back these up with links but some of us have more important things to do than spend hours trawling the net for links! ;) You can look these up yourself if you don't believe me. Maybe you'd find some solid links proving me wrong?".

Are you referencing this article? "Wii U - the inside story"
I didn't know you were such a naive person, don't be a -video- !

http://gimmegimmegames.com/2014/01/...urogamer-report-based-really-really-old-info/
http://www.destructoid.com/experienced-devs-counter-anonymous-wii-u-criticisms-268857.phtml
http://nintendoeverything.com/shinen-wii-u-gpu-and-its-api-are-straightforward-easy-to-use/
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...ii-U-run-PCARS&p=944946&viewfull=1#post944946

Should you really trust someone who thinks that SMT isn't proper mutlithreading or multicore?

"As these machines become more multifunctional, the OSes become more complex with far more potential for (critical) errors. Sony went with BSD for their OS. MS uses their Windows experience. What reason is there to think Nintendo, with their past record, is well positioned to roll their own operating system when none of the other companies with a stronger software track record dared?".

They already did as you contradicting yourself and making logical mistakes, they have their own operating system on Wii, DSi, 3DS and Wii U also they have been developing an operating system in 2000 called ES for x86 which now under Esrille's development since 2008.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/107454/Inside_Nintendos_ES_OpenSource_Operating_System.php
https://code.google.com/p/es-operating-system/

"What exactly to these links show?".

You can't access Wikipedia or are you intentionally ignoring links or you simply can't comprehend the context of these links which contain update logs of updates that contain information about what has been changed, added and fixes in each update thus you have a insight on the progress that Nintendo has made from Wii to Wii U, from Wii's launch to latest update on Wii U/3DS.

Nope, google cannot require anything, because it's open source.

However, they can require features be present if an Android device manufacturer wants to include the Android Play store without user intervention. And running an Android device without access to that isn't a very good idea. So, Google can require manufacturers to do what they want in a round about manner. They've used that to muscle in some features/software that OEMs hadn't included in past devices, but have include after those features were mandatory if the OEM wishes to include the Android Play Store..

Regards,
SB

Those are requirements to include the proprietary play store with a shipped device.

Google cannot prevent nintendo from modifying android any way they like, including encrypting and locking it to a nintendo walled garden, and preventing the execution of unsigned apps. Which was the context of my comment above. They cannot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back