So, apparently I've adopted a squirrel

Kaotik

Drunk Member
Legend
Supporter
Long story short:
While back we found a young squirrel on our yard, soon we found out that there's actually 3 of them. 2 of them died quite soon after to unknown reasons, but the last one seems like a survivor.

The squirrels probably lost their mom to some predator or a car, don't know, but they don't seem to be afraid of my cat Oni. And as it turns out, not afraid of me either, really. We've been seeing the last one arond for a week or so now.

Today, after greeting Oni first

oravajaoni.jpg

the squirrel approached me for the first time, first going around my shoes and climbing a bit. Then it was like "dude, I can do this" and started climbing up my pants. It took few tries, apparently my pants weren't the optimal climbing surface

oravakiipeaa.jpg

but it finally reached the peak of mount Kaotika

oravapaassa.jpg

After conquering the mountain, the squirrel started the descent only to find a perfect new place for a nest - from my pocket

oravatekeepesaa.jpg

The squirrel fell asleep in the new found nest and I took the opportunity to build it a nest - I think he/she likes it better outside than at my place after all.

oravanpesa.jpg

Heh, that's awesome. :D

Just don't get too friendly with that thing, squirrels are hellishly cute, but can also carry some nasty freeloaders (ticks infested with disease, other parasites, etc.)

Yea I wouldn't keep it in your house and certainly put some type of bug spray on before you go near it.

But if its the only one left go out and get some wood and build a nice insulated house for it and nail it up into a tree and put some nuts in it for it. It wont survive the winter without its parents since it wont reall know how to get food for itself.

Yea I wouldn't keep it in your house and certainly put some type of bug spray on before you go near it.

But if its the only one left go out and get some wood and build a nice insulated house for it and nail it up into a tree and put some nuts in it for it. It wont survive the winter without its parents since it wont reall know how to get food for itself.
Luckily it's start of summer here. Will have to see about the proper house later if it's around after summer

I do find it quite amusing how one type of rodent is considered 'cute' (e.g. Squirrels), but another is the worst thing in the world (e.g. Rats).

Wild animals generally impinging on human habitations but one is good and the other is bad. Strange.

@Mariner
Skwerls have nice fluffy bushy tails, not creepy icky naked tails.

Also, skwerls use their front paws in a rather human-like manner, making us emphatize with them more easily. Also, they don't compete with us for the same sorts of food, unlike rats.

Anything that wants to eat what we consider "our" food, we will hunt into extinction if we're able. :p Sad but (generally) true - dogs and a couple other species that have beneficial properties are the exception. ...Such as four-legged bacon factories for example, as long as they're domesticated. If they go feral, it's out with the rifle and bang-bang...

There are gliding squirrels, but not flying ones (IE, they can't go upwards in air; only down. :p)

I do find it quite amusing how one type of rodent is considered 'cute' (e.g. Squirrels), but another is the worst thing in the world (e.g. Rats).

Wild animals generally impinging on human habitations but one is good and the other is bad. Strange.

Speak for yourself, I have pet rats and they're great. But they're also not wild animals.

Their tails aren't naked either, they're covered in scales. They have fur coming out between the cracks of the scales.

Speak for yourself, I have pet rats and they're great. But they're also not wild animals.

Their tails aren't naked either, they're covered in scales. They have fur coming out between the cracks of the scales.

Mariner is speaking for the majority for our displeasure in rat tails. Your description doesn't help me overcome my preconception of rat tails. Made it worse if I should tell the truth.

Back