Nintendo announce: Nintendo NX

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sets precedent.

I agree with your sentence since Nintendo is vastly improving Wii U's operating system over the years which sets a precedent of a continual improvements made by Nintendo for own operating systems on Wii U and 3DS, actually in fact Nintendo's continuously improved OS in DSi thus it is a precedent before Wii U and 3DS...

Nintendo have shown fairly weak abilities regards system software.

That is your uninformed opinion and/or maybe a conclusion that you want to believe in.

Their OS and online components have been laughably bad.

On Wii and DS/DSi is questionable due to hardware limitations while certainly not on 3DS and Wii U. "Have been" is past tense thus you can conclude or have concluded that in present it is opposite of your past opinion.

Given that history, is there reason to be confident they can put together a superb OS comparable to those worked on for many years by other OS firms/organisations?

That is your "swiss cheese" history rather than actual history and yes, due to improvements that happened on Wii U's operating system since launch that is when comparing operating system on Wii U at launch and latest version of operating system on Wii U that shows that operating system is vastly improved since launch of the console.

Microsoft's first fully fledged operating system is Windows and Microsoft has 30 years of experience while Nintendo has 9 years of experience with fully fledged OS since Wii's OS.

Android would provide them everything they need in a working package with mobile integration to boot.

Basically to do things that operating system on Wii U that is capable of that and that it does that or going to do in near/close future.

If Nintendo make money off the hardware and selling games, giving up some of that to ease development and have a potentially far larger audience makes a lot of business sense. The cost and gains of a proprietary OS are difficult to argue in favour for.

You are being naive as it is not that simple, it is like saying Apple should use Windows which has DirectX and supports Open GL/Vulkan too yet that would't be in the interest of Apple as it is about having complete control over your product.

Your reply shows that your opinion is based around how uninformed, naive and a belief that suit your desired view that you have.

The OS, the documentation, some tools. Areas where Nintendo are supposedly pretty weak.

That is a conclusion that only someone uninformed or biased would make.

Your reply shows that your opinion is based around how uninformed, naive and a belief that suit your desired view that you have.

Well I have a Wii U, and while some of the opinions on certain aspects of Wii U are overly negative, its most certainly true that Wii U lacks some features that were made standard last generation, and Nintendo failing to adopt these now standard features does give people the right to express opinion that the online/OS on Wii U is not up to snuff. I love Nintendo, but even I cant believe Nintendo chose not to include voice chat in their latest new IP Splatoon. Cross game chat is nowhere to be seen on Wii U. Its been common for many many years now that Nintendo's develop kits have been pretty rough for third party developers, and documentation was reportedly very bad leading up to Wii U's launch. I love Nintendo for the games they create, and their willingness to try different things, but addition by subtractions doesn't work, and there are certainly areas where Nintendo could do better, and partnering with Dena and possibly Google would give them a strong foundation to strengthen their biggest weaknesses going forward.

Nope, those are situations that were openly documented and discussed by third party WiiU developers. You need to check your blind fanboy attitude at the door.

This outburst has earned you a 1 week reply ban on this subject. Your next outburst will see you banned outright from the entire site.

That makes more sense, although, in Nintendo's stead I'd hire people to do that internally.
Sony began to turn things around when they acquired SN Systems in 2005. Not quickly enough to get the initial tools for PS3 in robust shape it seems but I've seen developers comment that the Vita SDK is best in class and PS4's SDK seems decent enough that few are complaining about it although I seem to recall they have work to do on the compiler and linker.

Maybe Nintendo need to target a decent toolchain shop and buy them.

Great post from NeoGAF...

"I think Shirgeru Miyamoto said that there was no 3DS XL like... 2 weeks before it was announced from what I remember.

But this is different. Nintendo isn't denying the existence of something, rather, they are denying that the rumored premise of a thing they've already announced. They've never denied something like that before for it to be then proven true.

Project Cafe details leaked and there was no denial on behalf of Nintendo. The 3D screen rumors leaked and there was no denial about that from Nintendo either. Nitro details were not denied either.

So they probably aren't lying when they deny that NX runs on Android."

I heard last night that their info was lost in translation, and that what they said was their OS would be similar to Android, meaning that it would run across multiple devices. Oh well, I think the Android thing would have benefited them, but its not surprising that its inaccurate either.

"You're very close to getting banned as a mindless fanboy."
I apologize for being a bit harsh towards you, but that does not excuse that you now have attempted to frame/label me as a "mindless fanboy" due to not agreeing with your opinion/view and according to AlNets that I contacted that you thought that I am that because of some members that were previously on this forum thus you intentionally or unintentionally(subconsciously) put me in the same box as you maybe generalize people that have different views/opinions than yours.

"Start making actual arguments and engaging in debate, or depart (willingly or unwillingly)."
Why didn't you do that what you asking me to do? Please answer the question because you only made claims like for example in this reply/post of yours;

"It sets precedent. Nintendo have shown fairly weak abilities regards system software. Their OS and online components have been laughably bad. Given that history, is there reason to be confident they can put together a superb OS comparable to those worked on for many years by other OS firms/organisations? Android would provide them everything they need in a working package with mobile integration to boot. If Nintendo make money off the hardware and selling games, giving up some of that to ease development and have a potentially far larger audience makes a lot of business sense. The cost and gains of a proprietary OS are difficult to argue in favour for."
My response to that post is solely based around information on world wide web that I found on Wikipedia and various articles in which I spent a good hour or maybe two to find out if your bold claims are true or false because I operate under principle of "Scientia est Potentia" or in English "Knowledge is Power". I made subtle hints in the response to help you find out about what I am talking about.

For example on Wikipedia I used these articles to have an educated opinion on the subject which you directed on me with your reply on my post in which I expressed my view.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_system_software
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DSi_system_software
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_3DS_system_software
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_U_system_software

Nintendo, like any other company improves over time and operating systems are not the exception of the rule.

Lets just say that you and I agree that we disagree...

"Well I have a Wii U, and while some of the opinions on certain aspects of Wii U are overly negative, its most certainly true that Wii U lacks some features that were made standard last generation, and Nintendo failing to adopt these now standard features does give people the right to express opinion that the online/OS on Wii U is not up to snuff."
Don't over simplify the situation since both Microsoft and Sony don't have some of the features on their current generation consoles that are present in their last generation consoles and Wii U at very least has folders. :LOL:...and good for you for owning a Wii U, I'l be in my corner next day playing Nocturne and grind til my friend gets a Wii U. :devilish: Streaming capabilities of Wii U are used by the Gamepad... :!:

I am happy that you have a Wii U while my friend does not(yet)...:no:

"I love Nintendo, but even I cant believe Nintendo chose not to include voice chat in their latest new IP Splatoon. Cross game chat is nowhere to be seen on Wii U. Its been common for many many years now that Nintendo's develop kits have been pretty rough for third party developers, and documentation was reportedly very bad leading up to Wii U's launch."
I don't know why are you telling me that you love Nintendo, maybe you're assuming I am a Nintendo fan? Whatever... :sleep:

You got it wrong, it is not Nintendo that chose to not have voice chat in Splatoon since that was decision of one person and not entire company so you can't blame an entire company for a decision of one individual and as for cross game chat...

Nintendo can do it, likely if there isn't something in system design that stop them from doing which happened with PlayStation 3 and Sony could't simply do it. If Nintendo was to introduce cross game chat then they will also introduce risks for abuse one way or another. We need to take a lot of things into consideration.

Lets say Devil's Third has only team voice chat, you create your own server/match that anyone can join and then you have two douche bags join your server/match and have a plan that each one is at opposing team. Now imagine ways/scenarios in which they could abuse the system, players or both. One can tell the other location of their team mates and the other racks up kills/points thus the game is unbalanced.

My friends pull that once on me... That left a bitter taste in my mouth.

If there was a parental system to stop a kid or even a young teen from using cross game voice chat, a kid or a young teen that is clever/resourceful enough can succeed in finding out the password and cover up their tracks. Don't believe me, heck I did it with sheer persistence to use the computer when my parents aren't at home... :devilish:

Cross game chat is a nice option, but its not something that is so important that you can't live without in gaming like lets say not having a save system or updates for your game that fix bugs and glitches and potentially fix the game if it was broken. :D

"I love Nintendo for the games they create, and their willingness to try different things, but addition by subtractions doesn't work, and there are certainly areas where Nintendo could do better, and partnering with Dena and possibly Google would give them a strong foundation to strengthen their biggest weaknesses going forward."
Some apparent small or big weakness can be a strength of its own which is the case with Japanese economy and indie developers that graphics aren't the highest priority...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It could have been called Amiiboid. ಠ_ಠ
That's a good one! :LOL:

How did you achieve this smile? ಠ_ಠ Please teach me senpai! :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know why are you telling me that you love Nintendo, maybe you're assuming I am a Nintendo fan? Whatever... :sleep:

You got it wrong, it is not Nintendo that chose to not have voice chat in Splatoon since that was decision of one person and not entire company so you can't blame an entire company for a decision of one individual and as for cross game chat...

Nintendo can do it, likely if there isn't something in system design that stop them from doing which happened with PlayStation 3 and Sony could't simply do it. If Nintendo was to introduce cross game chat then they will also introduce risks for abuse one way or another. We need to take a lot of things into consideration.

Lets say Devil's Third has only team voice chat, you create your own server/match that anyone can join and then you have two douche bags join your server/match and have a plan that each one is at opposing team. Now imagine ways/scenarios in which they could abuse the system, players or both. One can tell the other location of their team mates and the other racks up kills/points thus the game is unbalanced.

I wasn't specifically telling you that, I am just open about being a Nintendo fan, and that's why I will typically have a more favorable view on them and their decisions.

I call BS on it being one mans decisions for Splatoon to not include voice chat. Nintendo as a whole has not been big on including it in their games. Both Mario Kart and Smash feature lobby only voice chat, and with friends only. So its obvious to me that they are reluctant on including the feature. Yes, they have their reasons, but those reasons I do not feel outweigh the positives that voice chat brings to these online games. I would be fine with friends only voice chat in private matches, but having nothing is absurd in the year 2015

People could exploit voice chat in ways to cheat, but again, its a minor problem compared to the benefits it offers to the majority of the community.

I call BS on it being one mans decisions for Splatoon to not include voice chat. Nintendo as a whole has not been big on including it in their games. Both Mario Kart and Smash feature lobby only voice chat, and with friends only. So its obvious to me that they are reluctant on including the feature. Yes, they have their reasons, but those reasons I do not feel outweigh the positives that voice chat brings to these online games. I would be fine with friends only voice chat in private matches, but having nothing is absurd in the year 2015

People could exploit voice chat in ways to cheat, but again, its a minor problem compared to the benefits it offers to the majority of the community.

Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros are Everyone rated games... It is understandable that they are being careful and taking baby steps rather than take a decent step and step on a potential landmine. Splatoon not having decision of one man, be in denial if you want, but that is reality like it or not since Nintendo is a Japanese company.

Metroid Prime Hunters is developed by Nintendo's western team, it has voice chat and it is a teen game and if Nintendo was that what you claim then MPH would't have voice chat yet it does. It solely depends on a decision of those who make the game and what is the current stance in company for better or worse.

Are you sure that people that use the voice chat are actual majority or a loud minority?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back