Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2015]

Status
Not open for further replies.
They still require it to analyse torn frames and framerate.

They still require it to analyse torn frames and framerate.
Actually I found out it's a false alarm. Tynipic resizes the image to a maximum of 1600x900 :(

This can be seen in this thread, the original image is 1080p and I uploaded it to tynipic, there it is 900p. Plus some details ar elost in the compression. Not uploading there anymore.

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/diablo-3-gamepad-edition.55102/page-29

All the images are 1080p in the Onedrive account. You can view my 4 images I got in several games right here.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7654cbd539891154!32242&authkey=!ABAs473lcbZRYNA&ithint=folder,png

Last edited:
Digital Foundry Face-Off: Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remaster on PS4

Add in cross-save compatibility with Vita and PS3 and a new option to run with the game's original soundtrack, this is without a doubt the definitive version. As one of Square Enix's first major in-house efforts on PS4, this shows an early confidence in the team's use of the hardware ahead of bigger titles.

Digital Foundry don't seem to be in a hurry to release any Witcher 3 preview article when almost everybody have already reviewed the game or compared both consoles versions...Here is Blimblim comment from his gamersyde comparison video, apparently the XB1 version has serious stuttering / framepacing issues:

I made very clear (or at least I thought so :) ) in the news that I did this video because people asked me to, but honestly it doesn't show much if anything besides some differences in framerate.
I don't like doing these comparison videos, so don't look too much into that one.
As for which version is better, the PS4 version is much smoother in terms of framerate than XB1, so the choice is clear. We'll have the replay of tonight's live stream up in a hour os so, and in this one we switched from the X1 version to PS4, and the difference is very noticeable.
It's doesn't mean the PS4 version is perfect though, it's very rarely locked at 30 fps from what I saw (first 90 minutes of the game, end of prologue).
Of course, we don't know if the current patch available for both consoles (v 1.01) is the day one patch or if there will be another before tuesday, but I doubt anyone would be willing to get a new patch live this close to launch...

I still remember the AC Unity framerate article they released... like maybe at least 10 days before the release of the game...:yep2:

Digital Foundry don't seem to be in a hurry to release any Witcher 3 preview article when almost everybody have already reviewed the game or compared both consoles versions...Here is Blimblim comment from his gamersyde comparison video, apparently the XB1 version has serious stuttering / framepacing issues:

I still remember the AC Unity framerate article they released... like maybe at least 10 days before the release of the game...:yep2:
And it was lackluster coverage to say the least. The didn't test pre day one patch nor post patch(s).

I think DF just got the title.... last night.
What makes you think this? Are you spying on them? :runaway:

I'd like them to analyse the retail version with whatever patches are available on day one. One patch (v1.01) is already available for both PS4 and XBO but it's unclear if this is the only patch that will be ready launch of it's there's another one due. A few people have GAF have confirmed they've suffered the endless-loading and Gwent-freezing bugs with the 1.01 patch.

Face-Off: Oddworld New 'n' Tasty

Not so much a remaster, but more of a full-on remake, Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty is a completely new take on the fondly remembered PS1 puzzle-based platformer, Abe's Oddysee. Built up from scratch with brand new artwork and a modern 3D graphics engine, developer Just Add Water faithfully replicates the gameplay of the original release, while adding new features to better utilise the more modern hardware. Scrolling environments add new twists to old puzzles, while the use of 3D visuals allows for sweeping camera angles and additional details that further flesh out the world over what was possible on the first-gen PlayStation hardware.....

That stuttering comes from the video, not from the game. Maybe because of a 60fps video with a ~30fps game

That stuttering comes from the video, not from the game. Maybe because of a 60fps video with a ~30fps game

I believe NXgamer has something up for the XB1 build... definitely some awful stuttering and frame pacing issues going on. The PS4 version has this as well, just less of it from my understanding.

The guy who captured both the PS4 and XBO footage in that video (BlimBlim) says that the difference in framerate is very evident when playing. It's not the video, which is a constant 1920x1080 30fps recording. :nope:

What I dont understand is why these consoles struggle to reach 60fps with titles that arent very demanding. There is either a significant bottleneck somewhere or optimization is very hard.
Even remastered games dont seem to reach the 1080p and stable 60fps. Let alone a reboot

What I dont understand is why these consoles struggle to reach 60fps with titles that arent very demanding. There is either a significant bottleneck somewhere or optimization is very hard.
Even remastered games dont seem to reach the 1080p and stable 60fps. Let alone a reboot

As much as complainers gamers want to bitch about the PS4/XB1 CPUs being poor choices... however we're still in the early stages of this generation (gaming). Developers and engine optimization gets better over time, not overnight.

That being said; if console gamers want better hardware, then the underlying issue must be addressed, that is "How much is too much" when it comes to purchasing console hardware? And from what we have seen in the past (3DO, Neo Geo, PS3, XB1), console gamers aren't very receptive to high prices.

Last edited:
That being said; if console gamers want better hardware, then the underlying issue must be addressed, that is "How much is too much" when it comes to purchasing console hardware? And from what we have seen in the past (3DO, Neo Geo, PS3, XB1), console gamers aren't very receptive to high prices.

Yup it's the same old song and dance, gamers won't spend money on console hardware hence they get new boxes with weak hardware that will struggle with visuals for the entire 8 year generation. That's how it is. I figured gamers knew that by now, consoles are built to be dirt cheap not to be powerful.

I think DF just got the title.... last night.
I apologize, I can't find how to send you a message to I want to notify you off this:
http://nintendoeverything.com/legend-of-kay-anniversary-now-outputs-at-1080p-on-wii-u/

Developers of Legend of Kay Anniversary that is still in development is rendered at 1600x900 with Anti-Aliasing at 60 frames per second.

Update that thread that has lists of games that contain information involving rendering resolution, framerate and antialiasing.

Yup it's the same old song and dance, gamers won't spend money on console hardware hence they get new boxes with weak hardware that will struggle with visuals for the entire 8 year generation. That's how it is.
That's how it's been for one generation (this one). Previous generations have had by-and-large very strong hardware that's gone toe-to-toe with decent PCs in terms of results for years after release. And it's ridiculous to think that a console can be designed to be technological 'strong' 8 years after release, at least without being £2000 at launch.

According to this presentation, Naughty dog's Game logic on PS3 was single threaded (not the SPU job stuff). They had to move it into fibers and spread it across 6 threads (It's not like they could keep the game logic still single threaded and jobify just the rest for the purposes of remastering), even after they jobified everything, including render logic, the cpu could finish at 25ms. They had to get creative (and change how their engine handled frames) to go under 16ms. The amount of tweaking they had to do to paints a bleak picture of the current gen cpu's IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back