Are PCs holding back the console experience? (Witcher3 spawn)

• Thread starter Deleted member 11852
  • Start date
Really? You don't think the biggest barrier is the huge number of PCs with old graphics or low VRAM?

I agree. For some odd reason, every PC gamer swears he/she belongs to the upper echelon of high-end gamers, that make up less than 1% of PC configurations. Me personally, I get annoyed when low/mid spec PC users try to bad mouth console gaming... yet, they're the first ones to complain about poor PC performance (see: GTA V).

For the "ultra " configuration? No. If those screenshots were from "medium" or "low" then it wouldn't be an issue.
I don't follow this line of reasoning. If CDPR want the game to sell on PCs then their engine has to target realistic PC specifications that actually comprise a sizeable amount of their target market.

I don't follow this line of reasoning. If CDPR want the game to sell on PCs then their engine has to target realistic PC specifications that actually comprise a sizeable amount of their target market.

That's why PC games have configurable settings. If your PC can't handle the highest settings, tune them down. Also, high-end games drive hardware sales, it's part of the reason why nVidia partners with the companies in the first place.

That's why PC games have configurable settings. If your PC can't handle the highest settings, tune them down.
And the PC version has configurable settings because we're seen the game played a lot on the default "ultra" settings. So what's your point?

The demographic of PC gamers that engage in online discussions probably consists of a high proportion of this 1%.

True. But, thank God we (high-end gamers) do not make up the majority of sales. Gamers come in all classes (income wise), and thankfully the majority (console gamers and low/mid spec PC users) can enjoy gaming without selling a kidney on doing so.

More grass/ moar hair. moar pubes?

So fur, much AO, many shrubs, so wut

If you play like a true Witcher with moar vodka then amount of foliage on screen will not be something of your concern :p You will forget that this is a game and totally immerse yourself in fantasy world just after few bottles, but be careful not to overdose as your toxicity will raise with every sip you take and this might lead to sudden virtual world collapse called blank screen or memory hole!

I'm not understanding your post...

The PC version still retains all the needed assets and IQ settings on making it a cut above the console editions. So, what's the problem?
That apparently the draw distance for example cannot be changed beyond what is seen on a mobile level cpu. GTA V did a marvelous job at this, it's not impossible.

I'm not understanding your post...

The PC version still retains all the needed assets and IQ settings on making it a cut above the console editions. So, what's the problem?
Parity with consoles is the problem. Setting the bar high and then drop it to the ground at release is a problem.

It's Crysis 2 all over again.

It's Crysis 2 all over again.

So, CD Projekt RED should release a high-end game similar to the 2013 reveal... so that 99.9% of PC gamers should bitch about poor performance, system crashes, and whatever else PC gamers aren't satisfied with?

Or

Should they release something that actually works across all platforms and include the needed enhanced scaling features for PC users?

As an FYI: I own a Titan Z and Titan X (SLI setup on the Titan X rig) rigs... and I'm very positive what was shown during the 2013 reveal, wasn't all gameplay footage. More like, a controlled slice of gaming, with very scripted cinematic views, along with some fancy offline lighting/shadowing and so on. Something that I find hard my rigs could run in realtime at 1080p/60fps synced or 4K/30fps synced. Hell, GTA V is making current high-end rigs buckle under pressure.

Last edited:
I decided to check out the 24 page sample of The Last Wish on Apple's ebook store, blitzing through it enthralled, then found myself buying the book. So good. I'd recommend the sample for anybody interested in reading more about Witchers and Geralt in particular.

So, CD Projekt RED should release a high-end game similar to the 2013 reveal... so that 99.9% of PC gamers should bitch about poor performance, system crashes, and whatever else PC gamers aren't satisfied with?

Or

Should they release something that actually works across all platforms and included the needed enhanced scaling features for PC users?

Or they can do like Rock* and treat PC gamers well, especially since up until recently that's what they had been doing. But now that consoles are also one of the main development platforms (The Witcher 2 was PC and then eventually ported to consoles) we're stuck with shitty (crass hyperbole, it's not shitty, just not as good) console limitations. Again unlike The Witcher 2, which at high settings made most computers beg for mercy at the time.

They had the assets before. They had the settings, but everything was made that little bit crappier just so consoles could have basically the same graphics. Bleh.

Oh well, perhaps they haven't forgotten about PC users and we'll get an Enhanced Edition in a year that'll make it look like it should.

Regards,
SB

They had the settings, but everything was made that little bit crappier just so consoles could have basically the same graphics. Bleh.

How do you know this as fact? This sounds awfully similar to PS4 users complaining about XB1 parity.

What if CD Projekt RED felt that the numerous PC configurations would require more manpower, more money, more development time, and so on... that they simply couldn't do it. Especially knowing that the vast majority of PCs (low/mid spec machines) couldn't run the initial 2013 reveal? And decided to tailor and optimize TW3 for the most minimum PC configuration - yet, providing enough additional features for high-end users to use. Making optimization the main priority, over the slideshow for the minority.

Blaming consoles solely for this (supposed downgrade) isn't helpful... especially time after time, we have seen target footage (PS3 Killzone 2, Watch Dogs, ACU, etc...) falling short on all platforms.

Last edited:
Atleast us PS4 only gamers complaining about parity in the ACU debacle were only talking about resolution anyway when parity came up. I don't think anyone reasonable expects devs to make a whole different game complete with different assets just for one SKU.

Unified development has been the case for years, last gen was 90% 360 ports, this gen its 90% PS4 ports, its just easier from a cost and development perspective to focus on a baseline, we know this.

Star Citizen, and Total War are still there for PC gamers who don't want consoles to 'hold back' their games. This is without the fact that PC always get the better version by default anyway even if its just res and IQ and FPS.

Back