XBox One and Windows 10 Programs [UWP, X0, W10]

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
^ I think I have a spare 50', was going to run it in the attic and decided it was too hot (a few years back). :) Would that be long enough?

--

Still not getting great results with the wi-fi display, video is not all that great and it shrinks the screen on the Xbox as well. Have not tried my phone though. Maybe once we invent a way to send photons through a wormhole we can have projectors anywhere, like a hololenseless Hololens!
haha, yes, a la American, bold and sufficient. :D

Xbox One will have thousands of apps thanks to Windows 10.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/xbox-one-to-get-thousands-of-apps-thanks-to-windows-10

And MS say that you will be able to run office on the X1:

http://www.computing.co.uk/ctg/news/2406621/enterprise-start-your-xbox-you-will-be-able-to-run-office-on-games-console-says-microsoft

haha, yes, a la American, bold and sufficient. :D

Xbox One will have thousands of apps thanks to Windows 10.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/xbox-one-to-get-thousands-of-apps-thanks-to-windows-10

And MS say that you will be able to run office on the X1:

http://www.computing.co.uk/ctg/news/2406621/enterprise-start-your-xbox-you-will-be-able-to-run-office-on-games-console-says-microsoft

Interesting, more and more Microsoft is doing a complete 180 from when they first launched the original Xbox. Back then they were trying very hard to make the Xbox as unlike a PC as they could. Now with the new change in power structure within MS, they are pushing the Xbox closer and closer to PC.

It's a bold but risky move. And comes down to whether there really is a separation between people that want to game on a TV from their couch (traditionally console gamers) and people that don't care where they game and thus game on desktops (PC gamers).

If the above stays true then Xbox sales won't be affected other than perhaps going up. Additional PC functionality from your couch/TV in a device that can game cheaper than most PCs, might make it a fair bit more desirable. If the above isn't true, they stand to lose more sales as it then becomes why bother with an Xbox if it does the same thing as my PC.

Alternatively, it becomes an interesting proposition for people with space and budget considerations, college students, for example. An XBO that you can game on and at the same time do all your school work (papers, etc.) as well as all your social media needs would offer incredible value versus a comparable PC.

Regards,
SB

Now with the new change in power structure within MS, they are pushing the Xbox closer and closer to PC.

If the above isn't true, they stand to lose more sales as it then becomes why bother with an Xbox if it does the same thing as my PC

Not the change in power structure, but in lieu of the mountain of successful stigmas for Xbox One, targeting the PC is the only realistic next move (as in games available for both, PC features, etc). Now the Xbox One trashing is mitigated, and it falls right in line with moves made since Satya took the helm, which is to spread services. So sink or swim for Xbox One, Xbox services... are always online :)

Not the change in power structure, but in lieu of the mountain of successful stigmas for Xbox One, targeting the PC is the only realistic next move (as in games available for both, PC features, etc). Now the Xbox One trashing is mitigated, and it falls right in line with moves made since Satya took the helm, which is to spread services. So sink or swim for Xbox One, Xbox services... are always online :)

It's quite evident it's a huge change in philosophy that comes about as a change in the internal power structure.

Prior to Ballmer being forced out and Nadella being put in charge Xbox was still going to have a very hard seperation between Xbox and PC. That despite increasing pressure from the power groups amoung shareholders that were pushing for Microsoft to spin off the Xbox brand and focus on PC only. Xbox would pursue the living room dream without reliance on or affiliation with Windows.

XBO under-performing and Windows under-performing lead to a relatively massive change in the power structure within Microsoft (although oddly enough many of the things, like Hololens, were spearheaded by Ballmer). Those large power groups (large shareholders) were now able to steer Microsoft more in the direction they wanted.

That vision has no place for a non-Windows device. It was either make Xbox basically a Windows device or get rid of the Xbox division.

Had XBO been successful, it wouldn't have changed anything. Windows under-performing means that the power shift was likely going to happen anyway. With the power shift, even if XBO was selling better than PS4 right now, they would still be forced to make it more PC centric...more Windows centric.

Right now, with the power structure that exists and the current power broker shareholders, if it isn't Windows or somehow ties into the Microsoft Software ecosystem (MS software on other mobile devices, for example), then it doesn't belong in Microsoft.

Regards,
SB

Costs have also upended, (consumer ) Windows licenses seem cheaper than ever and console hardware is now sold at a profit. Coincidence?

Interesting, more and more Microsoft is doing a complete 180 from when they first launched the original Xbox. Back then they were trying very hard to make the Xbox as unlike a PC as they could. Now with the new change in power structure within MS, they are pushing the Xbox closer and closer to PC.

It's a bold but risky move. And comes down to whether there really is a separation between people that want to game on a TV from their couch (traditionally console gamers) and people that don't care where they game and thus game on desktops (PC gamers).

If the above stays true then Xbox sales won't be affected other than perhaps going up. Additional PC functionality from your couch/TV in a device that can game cheaper than most PCs, might make it a fair bit more desirable. If the above isn't true, they stand to lose more sales as it then becomes why bother with an Xbox if it does the same thing as my PC.

Alternatively, it becomes an interesting proposition for people with space and budget considerations, college students, for example. An XBO that you can game on and at the same time do all your school work (papers, etc.) as well as all your social media needs would offer incredible value versus a comparable PC.

Regards,
SB
Be great for college honestly, and my kids later on so they don't have to touch my PC (I am overprotective since I have not setup other users to smartly protect my work...) :) They touch it, and I chase them off with a broom. One year old was playing with the mouse, and somehow caused the mouse to not register clicks at the correct cords.

It would be a rather affordable PC, and should be mostly quick in comparison to "low cost generic" brands. Be really interesting if they open it up for office, and plenty of sources have said as much now.

I'm somewhat puzzled that some people here really care about the XB1 running Win10 and being part of the infrastructure. The only potential use I see in that for me as an user is getting access to better supported Plex versions and other multimedia apps which might be of some use.

But other apps, especially productivity ones, wouldn't even cross my mind due to the glaring obvious case of ergonomics with a TV and gamepad. Even if the machine would suddenly support Bluetooth for keyboards/mouse using them on the couch isn't something I would look forward to.

Windows has always worked with many architectures. Including PowerPC. Since Xbox One is getting Windows 10, why won't it get that same ability to work on many architectures. Including Xbox 360?

I'm somewhat puzzled that some people here really care about the XB1 running Win10 and being part of the infrastructure. The only potential use I see in that for me as an user is getting access to better supported Plex versions and other multimedia apps which might be of some use.

But other apps, especially productivity ones, wouldn't even cross my mind due to the glaring obvious case of ergonomics with a TV and gamepad. Even if the machine would suddenly support Bluetooth for keyboards/mouse using them on the couch isn't something I would look forward to.

Yes. I'm hoping for significantly better and wider diversity of Media applications for Xbox One. Plex currently requires a PlexPass which is pricey to me since I don't primarily use Plex. I'm more of a Emby / MediaBrowser user. However, Plex and Kodi does have some nice plugins for alternate media content. So if there is an XBox One KODI application, that would be slick.

As for the productivity apps, just plug in a wireless USB Keyboard and Mouse. The Xbox One has supported HID compliant drivers, so any USB wireless keyboard works. Here's a video from 2013 showing a Logitech K400 keyboard+mousepad working:

Windows has always worked with many architectures.
It hasn't always worked. It needs to be ported to new architectures. That involves significant cost which needs to be weighed against the benefits. What's the economic argument for porting Win10 to a decade old, outdated hardware that's woefully underspec'd to run it well (in-order CPU running Windows applications?! On 512 MBs RAM?!)?

I realized only now that the one too will have the ports from ipad and android 0_0

Yup. Since going forward, what we used to call Metro/Windows Store apps will be Universal apps. As such they should be available on the XBO as well. And MS have made it extremely easy to make Android and iOS apps into Windows 10 Universal Apps.

Regards,
SB

Windows has always worked with many architectures. Including PowerPC. Since Xbox One is getting Windows 10, why won't it get that same ability to work on many architectures. Including Xbox 360?
Xbox is not getting Win 10.
It updates WinRT library and connected components and that's pretty much all. Kernel won't change.

@Rikimaru , and Win10 isn't just the Kernel. What matters to end users is the RunTime, so XBox One getting the WinRT Library to be able to run Win10 Apps is more important than the actual low level Kernel.

Apps on Xbox have been announced many times before, but it seems it might actually be happening this time? I've always said I would like it ...

Apps on Xbox have been announced many times before, but it seems it might actually be happening this time? I've always said I would like it ...
As of now they are quite scarce save, obviously, multimedia apps. But there are apps like the Rosetta Stone app, which I have installed when it came out, and it lets you learn new languages. I used it with my gf, in fact, it kinda works.

Virtual travel experiences teach you the vocabulary and grammar necessary for real-world interactions. So before you book a flight to a foreign destination, grab your controller.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/lear...your_xbox_one_with_new_rosetta_stone_app.html

Last time, you had the whole XNA thing going, but that was never even released in The Netherlands. I hope this time it'll be the real thing. The one thing that could pursuade me to get an Xbox One now eventually is if I could develop Apps for it using Xaml and C#.

@Rikimaru , and Win10 isn't just the Kernel. What matters to end users is the RunTime, so XBox One getting the WinRT Library to be able to run Win10 Apps is more important than the actual low level Kernel.
It's just pretty much everybody think Win10 on Xbox will be complete rework of OS. It won't be.

And I do not think many apps would be useful with gamepad interface.

It's just pretty much everybody think Win10 on Xbox will be complete rework of OS. It won't be.

And I do not think many apps would be useful with gamepad interface.

XBox One System OS is Windows 8 .... hugely different to Windows 10 ... at build they talked about how lots of work has already been done to bring across the Win8 custom bits into the core Win10, so XB1 will get it soon (im guessing E3 we'll see it alongside the new dashboard)

unified core windows in win10 across the entire ecosystem is the goal, and it did sound like a lot of work needed to happen to get it ready for xb1 ...

Back