Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

New Arkham Knight video running on PS4 is out. Visuals look great, but there is some nasty shader aliasing from time to time.

1080p?
At 6 mn 30 I found clues of a native ~1080p resolution (the top right of the hologram).

ZXqb.png

Taken from the PS4 version of Projects Cars. On paper it looks great: 1080p, 60fps (imagine forza 5 smoothness and clarity on PS4 with 40 cars), on paper only because it's 2015 so mandatory industry standards are fully there, deal with it:

image_project_cars-28171-2520_0006.jpg

:cry:

Taken from the PS4 version of Projects Cars. On paper it looks great: 1080p, 60fps (imagine forza 5 smoothness and clarity on PS4 with 40 cars), on paper only because it's 2015 so mandatory industry standards are fully there, deal with it:

image_project_cars-28171-2520_0006.jpg

:cry:
Hopefully this is either from photo mode or a replay, but motion blur shouldn't be there in a game running at a high framerate.

Hopefully this is either from photo mode or a replay, but motion blur shouldn't be there in a game running at a high framerate.

Now I understand why I genuinely thought the game was running at only 30fps on one previous console video:

60fps + heavy motion blur = the feel of 30fps. :confused:

So is this MB implementation intentional or maybe a bug?
It's just an old-school blend with previous frames. It's not motion blur at all (to few samples to simulate continuous sampling), but the radial quality shows exactly what's happening as the vector of motion is into the screen.

perhaps it's simply an artifact from a capture device capturing at 30fps and blending frames together.

however (while this isn't motion blur), motion blur still makes sense at 60fps because there is still motion that happens between frames, so motion blur will still make motion look smoother even at 60fps.

GAF members have brought this to the attention of SMSRenderTeam . It's difficult to detect during gameplay, but pause at any frame and you can see this ghosting effect. The effect might be more pronounced on LCDs with their 'sample/hold' nature.

If this is actually happening to the game and not just a capture card artifact, is it possible they're using some post processed trickery to fake 60fps? Like it's actually a 30fps render, but being displayed with every other frame being a blend in between frames, making it appear like 60fps?

If it's truly 60fps and they're using this for motion blur (a very old and outdated way to fake that) that's incredibly stupid.

That would have been my first thought...
It's full screen, every pixel. What kind of AA solution indiscriminately blends the previous frame?

perhaps it's simply an artifact from a capture device capturing at 30fps and blending frames together.
That's a possibility, although AFAIK 30 fps capture just capture every other frame. I don't recall any other examples of 30 fps captures of 60 fps material exhibiting 'double exposures'.

The only sure thing here is we have the current frame and the previous frame blended 50/50 full-frame. If not the cheapest of moblurs, it's probably more likely a bug IMO.

I read that only the PS4 version has a low quality per-object motion blur, causing the artifacts only seen on PS4, on top of the usual full screen motion blur used also on PC and XB1.

But apparently it's going to be removed in future PS4 builds. I wonder why.

Back