Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2015]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rallisport Challenge 2 would tear when the frame rate dropped, but there were only two or three points on two of the snow courses where I ever noticed it.

It was a remarkable game. By far the best looking driving game of the generation. So much better than Forza a or GT.

The version of Halo ported was Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary from 360.
Well..., the Halo 1 TMCC version also lets you choose the original visuals of the first Xbox console in real time, so you can compare them to the remastered version.

Well..., the Halo 1 TMCC version also lets you choose the original visuals of the first Xbox console in real time, so you can compare them to the remastered version.
Yes, but that probably has very little bearing on the real-time performance. Unless they're using an absolutely nonsensical and bizarre timeslicing approach, it's clear that the two layers aren't rendering simultaneously. There's probably a simultaneous RAM allocation for both, but that shouldn't be an issue considering the size of the RAM pool and the needs of the two graphical layers.

Yes, but that probably has very little bearing on the real-time performance. Unless they're using an absolutely nonsensical and bizarre timeslicing approach, it's clear that the two layers aren't rendering simultaneously. There's probably a simultaneous RAM allocation for both, but that shouldn't be an issue considering the size of the RAM pool and the needs of the two graphical layers.
Well, unlike Halo 2 TMCC version, sometimes there is a delay between versions when you switch from the classic Halo 1 to the remastered version, especially, it never happened to me the other way around, so your theory sounds about right.

Well, unlike Halo 2 TMCC version, sometimes there is a delay between versions when you switch from the classic Halo 1 to the remastered version, especially, it never happened to me the other way around, so your theory sounds about right.
Even if we're talking about Halo 2, I have my doubts as to the "we run both layers at the same time" thing. The explanation never really made any sense to me, and it's easily demonstrable that at least some aspects of H2C's graphics aren't running when you're in Anniversary Mode.

Why would anniversary not be full 1080p then if they are not doing at least a reasonable chunk of work for the classic mode given halo 3 and 4 are both full HD.

Would you assume they are calculating meshes and depth duffer but not rendering it out but do keep textures and audio in cache?

Why would anniversary not be full 1080p then if they are not doing at least a reasonable chunk of work for the classic mode given halo 3 and 4 are both full HD.

Would you assume they are calculating meshes and depth duffer but not rendering it out but do keep textures and audio in cache?
Why is Halo 5 not 1080p?

Why is Halo 5 not 1080p?
I believe anniversary engine was based on the halo4 engine which was 1080 in halo 4 single player and 1080 in both anniversary and halo4 multiplayer.

Which is why to me it's lower resolution seems to indicate that they are indeed doing something for classic all the time.

Anniversary on 360 let you switch between original and updated graphics using the Back button.

Why would anniversary not be full 1080p then
Because it was built for XB1 and in some ways is more graphically intensive than the other games in the collection.

I believe anniversary engine was based on the halo4 engine
H2A MP is effectively a Halo 4 mod, but H2A SP is completely different, using completely new assets and Saber's engine.

All of Halo 2's assets probably have to sit in memory to enable the clean switch, and the audio layer is probably having to keep track of what's playing all the time.

I'm not sure what you mean by "calculating meshes", and producing a depth buffer likely isn't something they'd have to be constantly doing.

Last edited:
All of Halo 2's assets probably have to sit in memory to enable the clean switch, and the audio layer is probably having to keep track of what's playing all the time.
Heh, wonder what their memory management & streaming is like. Or did they get rid of streaming?

Even if we're talking about Halo 2, I have my doubts as to the "we run both layers at the same time" thing. The explanation never really made any sense to me, and it's easily demonstrable that at least some aspects of H2C's graphics aren't running when you're in Anniversary Mode.
I don't see how you could prove either way. The switch with halo 2 is less than 1 second. When you switch back and forth there is no texture or geometry pop in whatsoever. I don't see why its so hard to believe they are storing both framebuffers in memory. Halo 2 anniversary has slightly better graphics then Halo 4 in the MCC. H4 runs at 1080p, but it isn't burdened with running an older version of the title in 1080p. What I am curious to know is why with Halo 2 they wouldn't run the original version at 900p and give the anniversary version a boost in pixel count? Og Halo 2 has some of the worst texture mapping in a Xbox game I have seen. Sure they are normal maps, but they shouldn't have borhered. The 1080p res isn't really needed for the original Halo 2 graphics.

I don't see how you could prove either way. The switch with halo 2 is less than 1 second.
Did you read the post I linked? I can't determine the exact extent to which Classic Mode isn't active during Anniversary Mode, but it's clear that not everything is running. There's also no obvious performance crossover between modes, although as noted I wasn't really able to test H2C load in H2A since H2C is so stable (all other conditions for both oXbox games are testable with negative results, including CE performance not affecting CEA performance).

(As to why they'd stretch the truth, resolutiongate would be a reason. It seems silly, but this is the same studio behind crap like Fourteen Day Buy and Play.)

When you switch back and forth there is no texture or geometry pop in whatsoever.
As I noted earlier in the thread, it's probable that both audio layers are running all the time, and Classic Mode will have to have a RAM allocation in addition to any OG memory management (i.e. streaming) requirements. Although the general lack of streaming-related pop-in makes me wonder if that's even an issue (or if they just load in everything at the start).

Halo 2 anniversary has slightly better graphics then Halo 4 in the MCC.
In some ways it's doing a lot more than Halo 4 is. Dynamic lights are often much larger, have specularity, and are capable of being spotlights. Some "static" lights are handled as their own precise sources, not just as part of an environmental lightmap. Some materials seem to have more expressive shading than in Halo 4, especially glossy metalish stuff. Screen-space reflections. Much higher-quality reflections for special/transparent surfaces like water (responds to lighting, sometimes reflects level geometry i.e. through what seems like might be box-projected maps, etc). Transparencies don't seem to have ordering issues.

I'm not very fond of how H2A looks, but regardless of the extent to which H2C is active in the background, it wouldn't shock me if it could merit resolution compromise in circumstances where Halo 4 didn't. Remember that on 360, CEA had lower resolution than Halo 4 (and in that case it definitely wasn't running both layers simultaneously), and in some ways H2A is more intensive than CEA.

Last edited:
Also,
I've been a member 12 years and I'm still a "newcomer"? Gah!

Haha. For a second I thought you had selected "newcomer" to be funny, but then I looked at mine and it seems that's not the case considering i've been here since 2002. I bet there's at least one forum member who wasn't even born when I signed up. lol.

Why is Halo 5 not 1080p?
Because it was only in early beta when people could play the multiplayer tests.
I highly doubt Halo 5 will be 1080p if the framerate is flawless 60 fps. If the graphics are like Halo Reach or Halo 4's -which I'd be okay with with a few tweaks here and there- then maybe...
Rallisport also looked great back in the days. But 60FPS were not much stable.

The replays run at 30 fps, plus the video's description says the game has a perfect 60 fps framerate.
Haha. For a second I thought you had selected "newcomer" to be funny, but then I looked at mine and it seems that's not the case considering i've been here since 2002. I bet there's at least one forum member who wasn't even born when I signed up. lol.
Hey... You are a true survivor. Sheer awesomeness!

LOVE this video.

Digital Foundry: The best PC hardware for Grand Theft Auto 5

Grand Theft Auto 5: we've tested and benchmarked the title on every single-chip enthusiast-level graphics card on the market right now. It's been quite the undertaking, but with the game notching up stratospheric sales in the last couple of weeks, we thought it would be worth it.

The Titan X is clearly the most capable card, but in a world where most gamers use 1080p or 1440p displays, the GTX 970 is the star of the show in terms of price vs performance. It's faster than both of AMD's cards, and not that much more expensive than the 290X (and at the time of writing, you get The Witcher 3 with it too).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back