Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2015]

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I can tell, Cyan might be right. I've definitely seen spark showers doing things like suddenly changing from small bright dots to big orange squares, that sort of thing. First noticed it while using the Scorpion's machine gun in the tunnel at the end of the Metropolis bridge.

Maybe an issue with the fog in that section?

Just going off a bunch of footage I've come across. My Live sub ends next month anyway, and I don't plan on continuing on with it. ;)
Oh well, np then, I don't blame you. This generation isn't being as exciting as it was the previous one. It is full of rehashes, and there aren't original games, save maybe for Sunset Overdrive, and to a lesser extent Ryse.

The previous gen was one hell of a generation, really good, with new and exciting, original franchises all around, like Call of Juarez, Gears of War, Mass Effect, Oblivion, Skyrim, :) Super Mario Galaxy, Red Dead Redemption, Rock Band and Guitar Hero...very influential games in some cases that defined a genre.

The most interesting thing about this generation is the increasing amount of 60 fps games. I have a hard time playing 30 fps games, I can see the frames transitioning and "jumping around", :( it's twitchy, 30 fps is like a slide parade to me. :(

So I hope that devs sacrifice everything for 60 fps gameplay. Talking of which, this new DF article shows the beloved F-Zero GX, which I had back in the day (unlike DF, though, I don't see the point in bringing a remade F-Zero GX to a dead console):

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-wind-waker-hd-and-gamecube-remasters

How often will we see flawless and glorious 60 fps games like F-Zero GX (which was a masterpiece of programming, great graphics -played it on Dolphin at 1440p too, at like 8fps though :D, but you could discern the great detail even better-, along with perfect unerring framerate) or Metro 2033 in the future?

The previous gen was one hell of a generation, really good, with new and exciting, original franchises all around, like Call of Juarez, Gears of War, Mass Effect, Oblivion, Skyrim, :) Super Mario Galaxy, Red Dead Redemption, Rock Band and Guitar Hero...very influential games in some cases that defined a genre.
You should be banned from making any lists of games! :yes: Elder Scrolls, Super Mario, Red Dead and Guitar Hero are all franchises that pre-date last gen. You also missed off Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, Crackdown and probably a bunch more.

Back on topic, aaaah you are right there. Now that you mention it, may I... I'd add Dark Souls, Uncharted and The Last of Us -although this one was launched pretty late into the generation- to your list. How could Bioshock be missed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Digital Foundry: Hands-on with the PlanetSide 2 beta on PS4

Just how many players is too many for a console first-person shooter? After three years of sole residency on PC, PlanetSide 2 asks that very question as the PlayStation 4 beta rages on this month. It's an affair that has thousands of players vie for supremacy on a single server at once - an unprecedented figure for any console game. But given PS4's struggle to hold60fps in even 64-player titles like Battlefield Hardline, how has this been made possible? And indeed, is everything intact in the transition from PC to console?

I was glad to see DF finally do Zelda WW HD. I knew from playing it that there were some serious dips in framerate when out at sea, and they don't always make sense. They certainly don't seems to be from stressful visual effects, but things like bomb explosions seem to tank the framerate. Perhaps its a bottleneck in the physics engine. Once your on Land or in Dungeons, the framerate always seemed to hold to the 30fps target, and DF's video seems to support that. It would be interesting to get a better explanation on why the framerate seems to be at its worst out in a wide open mostly vacant ocean. I think most of these performance issues were there on the GC version as well, but you would think the more powerful hardware of the Wii U could eliminate those dips. Im sure this game runs on a single CPU core, seeing as how its very doubtful they would rework the game engine for multi threading, but even on a single core, the Wii U's CPU runs at nearly 3 times the clock speed of the GC's Broadway chip.

Mario Sunshine's framerate held up better than expected. I know there are a few levels where it tanks, but overall it seems pretty solid most of the time. F-Zero GX is a perfect 60fps game, and that's how I remembered it. Not only that, but the visuals were excellent for it time. Makes you wonder just how good a new F-Zero game could be on the Wii U.

I was glad to see DF finally do Zelda WW HD. I knew from playing it that there were some serious dips in framerate when out at sea, and they don't always make sense. They certainly don't seems to be from stressful visual effects, but things like bomb explosions seem to tank the framerate. Perhaps its a bottleneck in the physics engine. Once your on Land or in Dungeons, the framerate always seemed to hold to the 30fps target, and DF's video seems to support that. It would be interesting to get a better explanation on why the framerate seems to be at its worst out in a wide open mostly vacant ocean. I think most of these performance issues were there on the GC version as well, but you would think the more powerful hardware of the Wii U could eliminate those dips. Im sure this game runs on a single CPU core, seeing as how its very doubtful they would rework the game engine for multi threading, but even on a single core, the Wii U's CPU runs at nearly 3 times the clock speed of the GC's Broadway chip.

Mario Sunshine's framerate held up better than expected. I know there are a few levels where it tanks, but overall it seems pretty solid most of the time. F-Zero GX is a perfect 60fps game, and that's how I remembered it. Not only that, but the visuals were excellent for it time. Makes you wonder just how good a new F-Zero game could be on the Wii U.
F-Zero would be great even on the WiiU but a game like that deserves a better console with better sales, because WiiU has been killed by Nintendo already.

Since you mention F-Zero GX, one of my preferred games in the history of games, it occurs to me that Digital Foundry could test the performance of several legendary games. I thought of this time ago, by the way.

But now that we have the tools, we could confirm or debunk several myths. For instance:

- Unreal Tournament 2: The Liandri Conflict ; I had this game on the original Xbox, I liked it, some people said it ran at 60 fps but I'd swear it runs at 30 fps.

- Gran Turismo 4 ; I remember the heated discussions on the realism of its lighting. Question is, did it run at a flawless 60 fps? I highly doubt so, graphics were too good for a true 60 fps game.

- Ninja Gaiden Black : another one of the best games I've ever played. The game had incredible visuals on the Xbox. Did it run at a constant 60 fps? Again, I doubt so, if true the game is a technological marvel in every level.

- Rallisport Challenge 2 : a highly acclaimed racer and visually wise another achievement for Xbox users. It ran at 60 fps but the graphics were also very good. Was the framerate perfect?

- Timesplitters 2 , this seemed to be a "legitimate" 60 fps game back in the day. Things moved around so softly it looked like it ran at 100 fps or so, no kidding. Even so, the game felt so "airy" that it caused motion sickness to me.

- Burnout 3: Takedown , that game needed the 60 fps and the execution was really good, but I wonder if the game ran at a perfect framerate too. One of my favourite Xbox games.

I can say that Ninja Gaiden on PAL Xbox had constant tearing right in the center of the screen. It kept me from buying an Xbox 1 for a while, but I eventually got it when both Halo 2 and Forza (2?) were out. GT3 was pretty close to flawlessly 60fps, and I actually think GT4 was pretty good too. It was with GT5 when framerates started to really become unsteady, also depending on whether you ran the game on 720p or 1080p, different AA options etc. (and 3D of course killed the framerate). After many patches, that framerate came close to stable 60, but some tracks like London remained unsteady for a long time, and probably still aren't a fully stable 60fps even today. GT6 was not that much better, thanks to its ambition to run at 1440x1080p, instead of 1280x1080p for GT5, but GT6 did also get better as time went on (we're at 18 patches now, but some were content patches only). The game would have been better off with WipeOut style dynamic vertical resolutions probably.

- Unreal Tournament 2: The Liandri Conflict ; I had this game on the original Xbox, I liked it, some people said it ran at 60 fps but I'd swear it runs at 30 fps.
Pretty certain it was 30-ish. I finished the campaign once on Xbox, but it was so long ago. A shame it never got ported to PC, even if it was extremely different from the other games.

- Gran Turismo 4 ; I remember the heated discussions on the realism of its lighting. Question is, did it run at a flawless 60 fps? I highly doubt so, graphics were too good for a true 60 fps game.
It was pretty stable IIRC, but I'm not sure if Richard ever did a full analysis with graph (publicly).

- Ninja Gaiden Black : another one of the best games I've ever played. The game had incredible visuals on the Xbox. Did it run at a constant 60 fps? Again, I doubt so, if true the game is a technological marvel in every level.
Up to 60fps, though i remember it being rather unstable.

- Rallisport Challenge 2 : a highly acclaimed racer and visually wise another achievement for Xbox users. It ran at 60 fps but the graphics were also very good. Was the framerate perfect?

That'd be neat to look at.

I've never noticed any performance issues in Rallisport Challenge 2. It's worth noting that the game dials back some alpha effects when there are multiple cars on the track. Also worth noting is that replays run at 30fps, although I'm not sure why.

Last edited:
Watching Zelda Wind Waker (Wii U) regularly running at ~25fps or so on some taxing levels is depressingly sad. It's breaking my heart!

The original game was released 2 generations of Nintendo consoles before Wii U. 2 for god's sake!

This predicament is telling so much about the sorry state of Nintendo tech, whether hardware or software...I remember a time when Nintendo games were not only synonymous with stellar gameplay and fun (still are) but also stellar immersion (are not anymore): Super Mario World, Yoshi's island, Zelda LTTP, Mario 64, Zelda OOT, Mario sunshine, Wind Waker...

Those games had everything done right: fun, gameplay and graphics (immersion).

Pretty certain it was 30-ish. I finished the campaign once on Xbox, but it was so long ago. A shame it never got ported to PC, even if it was extremely different from the other games.

It varies.
Definitely at or near 60 in some spots, while clearly dropping lower when you move to another room or face a different direction.
Just played it three minutes ago.

Also,
I've been a member 12 years and I'm still a "newcomer"? Gah!

Watching Zelda Wind Waker (Wii U) regularly running at ~25fps or so on some taxing levels is depressingly sad. It's breaking my heart!

The original game was released 2 generations of Nintendo consoles before Wii U. 2 for god's sake!

This predicament is telling so much about the sorry state of Nintendo tech, whether hardware or software...I remember a time when Nintendo games were not only synonymous with stellar gameplay and fun (still are) but also stellar immersion (are not anymore): Super Mario World, Yoshi's island, Zelda LTTP, Mario 64, Zelda OOT, Mario sunshine, Wind Waker...

Those games had everything done right: fun, gameplay and graphics (immersion).

The framerate out at sea is definitely sub par, but when on land and in dungeons, its pretty stable at 30fps. Doesn't Halo Master Chief Collection have similar issues, and X1 is much more powerful than the Wii U. They aren't rebuilding these games from the ground up, but instead porting them with some upgrades, such as the bump from 480 to 1080p. So while Wind Waker HD for Wii U isn't flawless, its still the version I would prefer to play going forward. I have both versions, and I see no reason to play the GC game over this HD remastered version.

Only one hardware iteration though. :p
I reckon software. They've been working with cave paintings while the rest of the world invented paper and pencils and watercolours and spray-paints. They haven't the skills or basic experience to wrap their heads around the latest tech and use it efficiently. Whatever R&D know-how they've been working on hasn't propagated to the studios. All the advanced possibilities of AMD's DX11 class GPU will likely go to waste if there aren't any PC-experienced 3rd party devs wanting to stretch the machine.

Is my guess!

Last edited:
The version of Halo ported was Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary from 360.

Well, I imagine it was comparing Zelda remaster to the CEA/CEA2 being remastered vs oXbox versions, but I'm not sure how the difference in XO & WiiU strength is indicative of anything given the number of factors involved - the level of remastered assets & tech upgrades is not really comparable IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back