Status
Not open for further replies.

Globalisateur

Globby
Legend
Veteran
Supporter
NX gamer latest video is out: How important is software? Game UPdate Round-up

At ~18:47 he confirms that the severe framerate (~25fps) drops on GTA5 while driving fast in the city in the PS4 version have being apparently totally fixed with the latest patch.

Also along with the AF inclusion (or improvement) on Dying Light (PS4) he confirms the slight LOD improvement with no noticeable performance difference (he only showed the still existing weird >30fps variations).

But he talks about many others games like COD and battlefield and the PC version too of many of those games.

Ok that's funny because I almost asked for a NX gamer thread spinoff in my post...

Beyond3D mods can read minds confirmed! :D

We should have B3D podcast! Ahem! I think there is enough talent to do so.
Will listen and post about it in a bit, this is quite a long video

I've been wondering about that GTA5 thing. I've stopped playing the game last year only to continue a bit last week... and it felt pretty darn different. And then NXGamer comes out and confirms my suspicion. Pretty good timing as well.

GTAV improvements seem to be at (subjectively) fairly severe cutbacks though.

GTAV improvements seem to be at (subjectively) fairly severe cutbacks though.

I've seen the video, but I would not call it definitive. What do you consider sever? Most people can't notice any visual differences. The car deformation has been restored in the 1.09 patch, so that was a bug. At this point the only thing that looks like a real cutback (if not a bug) is the POM. But I'm not sure how that would improve frame rates driving on the streets since the effect is rarely used in game.

But I'm not sure how that would improve frame rates driving on the streets since the effect is rarely used in game.
Everybody drives on the streets, Grandpa! It's GTA! :runaway:

Most people can't notice any visual differences.

Yes most don't give a shit what AF, POM or anti-aliasing is but I don't believe that's ever been something for us to consider on a site like this. Removal of POM would be a major downgrade for me, it's a very noticeable prevalent feature. Over the recent years I honestly expected POM, Tessellation or even just increased geometry to be far more widespread and instead we're still stuck with flat texturing frequently. Even WItcher 3 a supposed graphical tour de force has completely flat brick walls.

I agree that POM shouldn't really affect driving down the streets at full speed but it looks like LOD pop, decreased aniso and some blurring seem to be the biggest indicators for the performance increase.

It nicely demonstrates a trend game devs and pubs are following. Started last gen, is now fully present this gen.

I wonder how long it will take until consumers react: don't buy a game at launch. Wait until the release game gets patched. Then buy it.

This gives a better game at lower costs for the customer.

Of course pubs will then start moaning and bla-bla-ing all day how difficult game dev business has become with decreasing return from AAA games become and come up with something else to annoy us, like e.g. something crazy as day one DLC...oh wait!

Yes most don't give a shit what AF, POM or anti-aliasing is but I don't believe that's ever been something for us to consider on a site like this. Removal of POM would be a major downgrade for me, it's a very noticeable prevalent feature. Over the recent years I honestly expected POM, Tessellation or even just increased geometry to be far more widespread and instead we're still stuck with flat texturing frequently. Even WItcher 3 a supposed graphical tour de force has completely flat brick walls.

I agree that POM shouldn't really affect driving down the streets at full speed but it looks like LOD pop, decreased aniso and some blurring seem to be the biggest indicators for the performance increase.

You are taking for granted that video is 100% accurate. I see tons of issues with their evidence. The only thing that is concrete at this point is deformation which was patched back in and POM. The other stuff they are claiming is very suspect. They present two very blurry (whole screen) scenes as evidence, which doesn't fit at all with their claims or other user experiences. Look a their AF screenshots, the 1.08 one is super blurred - the whole scene, it has nothing to do with AF. Then look at their "popping" video and see how blurry the 1.08 video is, it is obvious something is up and has nothing to do with pop-in. At this point I don't trust the source and would wait for further confirmation.

Edit: Some more discussion about the AF issue, or non-issue as it is.

http://67.227.255.239/forum/showpost.php?p=157589959&postcount=657

Last edited:
It nicely demonstrates a trend game devs and pubs are following. Started last gen, is now fully present this gen.

I wonder how long it will take until consumers react: don't buy a game at launch. Wait until the release game gets patched. Then buy it.

This gives a better game at lower costs for the customer.

Of course pubs will then start moaning and bla-bla-ing all day how difficult game dev business has become with decreasing return from AAA games become and come up with something else to annoy us, like e.g. something crazy as day one DLC...oh wait!

TBH I'm already rarely buying games at launch at the current situation just helps enforce the desicion. I haven't started Dying Light yet, but when I do I'll be playing a nicely improved version and I stopped playing GTA so will benefit from that.

The only games I'll be buying day one are 'must haves' or if there's a decent deal going on. Uncharted I will buy regardless, but what I may do is play through once and then await updates until getting the plat.

To be fair... not all games ship broken. GTA5 was just as playable at launch as it is now. Same goes for Bloodborne. They have issues, yes, but... only NeoGaf and DF make a mountain out of a molehill in these cases. I can see the uneven frametime in Bloodborne, and I'd prefer it if it was gone... but it's not game breaking or anything. It's still nearly locked 30Hz in all cases. Loadtimes are long... but not really worse than say Dragon Age for example.

There is a 1.09 out already, I think it came yesterday.

This is a bug. From Rockstar Support:

Question: After updating to Title Update 1.08 on PS4 and Xbox One, there appears to be a deterioration of graphical quality. Is Rockstar investigating this issue?

Answer: We are aware of some graphical issues on the Xbox One and PS4 versions of GTAV after the most recent Title Update, and we are investigating a fix now. If you would like to receive an automatic email notification as soon as there is more information, please log into the Support Site and click Subscribe at the top of this page.​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back