Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

heh, maybe for Xbox a Fat G-buffer would smoke esram. But PS4 shouldn't be affected by something like that right? I think with Fox Engine the fact that we see 1080p/720p the fat g-buffer is a reasonable guess. But when I see PS4 dip in resolution I feel like the reason is elsewhere. They seem to be both affected, equally, so it's something they both share in common, i'm wondering if clock speed/not enough shaders is playing a factor here.

Why bother on theories, just say it is a demo of an unfinished game.

Why bother on theories, just say it is a demo of an unfinished game.
oh yea i'm not looking at the final product. I'm just curious as to what games that overall cause a reduction in resolution for both platforms, what type of demands that they are putting on the system.
Demos are generally unoptimized, I get that part ;) but zoning in on 792p is curious. I really don't have much to comment on about it, game looks great though imo.

It looks fine! They're obviously going for the ultra-smooth Vaseline blur look and AF wouldn't really be ideal. It almost looks like they want to try and look like CGI by blurring the hell out of everything, so pin-sharp details are out of the way. At least it looks amazingly consistent.

I wish we knew. I'm guessing just lack of FLOPs/unused FLOPs for the type of code they were running.
I think things are going to get worse in terms of guessing what the issue will be as console developers continue to improve and bypass bottlenecks.

Older generation games it's easier to point your finger at the problem, everything was fairly standardized, we had an idea of the performance based upon numbers, but games in 2017 with DX12/mantle/Vulkan and beyond, they're going to really start to leverage more and more of that peak shader throughput, and the perspective of what 1.84 and 1.3TFLOPS will change.
I think the developers confirmed that this is just a demo, early build and that they aim to run the game at 1080p, so no worries. Someone is famous here.

http://gearnuke.com/ffxv-episode-du...creenshots-reveal-sub-900p-resolution-report/

A curious look at some of the direct-feed screenshots of Final Fantasy XV Episode Duscae for the PS4 reveals a native 900p resolution, as can be seen in the image below. The talented folks over at Beyond3D, who are known for their accurate pixel counting, also confirm a resolution of 900p for the PS4 version of the game.

Here is a ~900p JPG (900p being the maximum, slightly sub-900p possible here strangely, anyway presumably from PS4 version) in a very similar spot (middle of the road) than the ~800p PNG.

[/SPOILER]

By extrapolating the missing aliased edges (edges behind "WIZ CHOCOBO POST" words) in this one I can be a lot more precise with the PS4 approximative resolution on FF15 episode Duscae: ~880p.

Definitely sub-900p on PS4 on those 2.

iNLLckzHvcGEA.jpg

bRlrLp.jpg

It's possible you're overthinking it a bit (shader aliasing). :p

There has to be a screenshot with something more clear.

I believe this lower resolution was due to them trying to meet deadlines with an engine that's still being worked on since they started the transition from Ebony to Luminous just a little under 2 years ago. But we'll know when the game comes out.

I feel the three things that hurt the visuals most (in no particular order) and prevent it from having a pristine look is

1) lack of ground vegetation a bit further away, what's there looks very artificial and hand placed. it looks bad, especially after playing games like Farcry 4. (Even Farcry 2/Farcry 3 were good at this on PS360)
2) Lack of AF
3) Lower resolution

I believe this lower resolution was due to them trying to meet deadlines with an engine that's still being worked on since they started the transition from Ebony to Luminous just a little under 2 years ago. But we'll know when the game comes out.

I feel the three things that hurt the visuals most (in no particular order) and prevent it from having a pristine look is

1) lack of ground vegetation a bit further away, what's there looks very artificial and hand placed. it looks bad, especially after playing games like Farcry 4. (Even Farcry 2/Farcry 3 were good at this on PS360)
2) Lack of AF
3) Lower resolution
Too true, Open world games these days pretty much have very dense grass and foliage taken for granted such as The Witcher 3, Far Cry 4 and even MGSV at 60fps. I think it's those GPU particles that's really hindering the engine to reach a higher res when shits hit the fan say after a summon. Tone them down ffs, it's only visible for a short period of time and not a huge priority over the consistency of a pristine iq.

Also what's people's take on Bloodborne retail version?
7s3nQpJ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/IHWCMOy.jpg
Looks like 1080p with FXaa to me.

New Arkham Knight video running on PS4 is out. Visuals look great, but there is some nasty shader aliasing from time to time.

1080p?

Too true, Open world games these days pretty much have very dense grass and foliage taken for granted such as The Witcher 3, Far Cry 4 and even MGSV at 60fps. I think it's those GPU particles that's really hindering the engine to reach a higher res when shits hit the fan say after a summon. Tone them down ffs, it's only visible for a short period of time and not a huge priority over the consistency of a pristine iq.

Also what's people's take on Bloodborne retail version?
7s3nQpJ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/IHWCMOy.jpg
Looks like 1080p with FXaa to me.

I don't mind it. FXAA is the only thing that stands out. Some people might be quick to point out AF (on neogaf) issues, but it looks good to me. Generally speaking the tesselation/parallax tends to deal with low AF fairly well as we see here. I'd be okay with this if I could play it, and I really want to play it. The palette is a little brown lol, but it is what it is. Some more colour would have been nice, seems like the whole environment is made and carved of exactly the same type of stone. Weapons too. The contrast of the lighting on the player to the environment makes this seem pronounced.

New Arkham Knight video running on PS4 is out. Visuals look great, but there is some nasty shader aliasing from time to time.

1080p?
I couldn't focus on anything but the gameplay LOL. Trying to keep it technical,but looks too fun

is it hard to port UE3 game to UE4? Would have been better if Arkham Knight was ported over since it looks like UE4 temporal AA is doing awesome job from removing the shader aliasing.

Looking at some of those games released or about to I think we can already declare that this generation of consoles will be the truly artistically cinematic generation.

We can thank those GPUs because they have so much "room to spare" that can be now dedicated into those commercially highly desirable cinematic post effects.

I even wonder sometimes how some of the best selling and/or best games of the last generation, like GTA5, COD, Battlefield, Batman or Bioshock even passed their Quality Control tests without any heavy layers of optical post effects.

Almost sounded to me as if they switched the voice actors for Gordon and Batman.

Almost sounded to me as if they switched the voice actors for Gordon and Batman.
Batman's voice actor has been the same for all of the Rocksteady Batman: Arkham -games, but Origins made by WB Montreal has different one. Gordon's voice actor has changed more, and there's no final confirmation for Knight's Gordon actor yet

Asylum:
Kevin Conroy: Bruce Wayne / Batman / Thomas Wayne (voice)
Tom Kane: Commissioner James Gordon / Warden Quincy Sharp / Amadeus Arkham / Guard Louie Green (voice)

City:
Kevin Conroy: Bruce Wayne / Batman / Thomas Elliot / Hush (voice)
David Kaye: GCPD Commissioner James Gordon / Inmate #3 / TYGER Lieutenants (voice)

Origins:
Roger Craig Smith: Bruce Wayne / Batman (voice)
Michael Gough: G.C.P.D. Captain James Gordon (voice)

Knight:
Kevin Conroy: Bruce Wayne / Batman (voice)
David Kaye: G.C.P.D. Commissioner James Gordon (voice) (rumored)

It just doesn't seem right to give him a voice more grovelly than Batman's when he doesn't even need to hide his identity. But I've always been overly sensitive to anything sound related.

Back