News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
the beta is now available for everybody because its only a small edit needed for PS4's update list xml.

anybody wanna try it? Beware, it will stop remoteplay from working with PS Vita because it also need new PS Vita firmware. But PS Vita should be also can be fooled by the same trick to DL beta update.
hmm?? Where can someone get the beta? I checked for updates but it wouldnt update anything

As posted earlier if you where to do this you would need to cache all the game memory to the HDD, that would be an extra 40 seconds to hibernate the running game and 40 to bring back the cached game, that was also 12gig of HDD space used.

Is that quicker than now but with game saves?

I'll take the 40 seconds and being promptly dropped right back into the game versus sent to a couple of splash screens and then to the main menu.

Furthermore, I don't think its a limitation of the hardware or firmware but rather the software itself. GTA 5 drops into story mode or online mode simply through a button push. However, the elegance of the mechanic is minimized by GTA 5's notoriously long load times.

Both Sony and MS could do us all a favor and mandate this to developers.

I'll take the 40 seconds and being promptly dropped right back into the game versus sent to a couple of splash screens and then to the main menu.

Furthermore, I don't think its a limitation of the hardware or firmware but rather the software itself. GTA 5 drops into story mode or online mode simply through a button push. However, the elegance of the mechanic is minimized by GTA 5's notoriously long load times.

Both Sony and MS could do us all a favor and mandate this to developers.

Sounds like a lot of wasted HDD space if we store this for multiple games but I like the idea as you describe.

What about revisiting the old memory card design from Ps one but have these as child objects to the game from the dash, instead of launching the game you could directly load to a save and bar the splash as it physically loads you get dropped direct in the action?

Sounds like a lot of wasted HDD space if we store this for multiple games but I like the idea as you describe.

What about revisiting the old memory card design from Ps one but have these as child objects to the game from the dash, instead of launching the game you could directly load to a save and bar the splash as it physically loads you get dropped direct in the action?

Its no more wasteful than what we have now. It basically removing all the extra steps of loading up a save. You just need to change the behavior of the application. Click on the game tile and it automatically goes to load in the last save. Allow for prompts during the loading screen that will take you to the main screen or multiplayer online if going to the last previous state of single player is not your intended destination.

Its no more wasteful than what we have now. It basically removing all the extra steps of loading up a save. You just need to change the behavior of the application.
As you said earlier GTA V is a good execution of this. Infamous will autoload the last save as well but, I think, without the option to go to the menu. I would dearly like the option from PS4's dashboard to press X to start a game normally (go to the main menu) or SQUARE to immediately restore from the last save game because 9 times out of 10, that's what I want to do.

I thought this was really cool, until I got to the bottom and read the bit and the monthly subscription tiers and their pricing. Ouch.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/18/sony-playstation-vue-streaming-tv-launch/

The pricing information FTL ...

When PlayStation Vue goes live today, Sony's offering users a seven-day trial period after which they'll have to commit to one of three monthly pricing tiers: $50 for Access; $60 for Core; $70 for Elite. The tiers are based on access to additional channel lineups -- not increased remote DVR storage -- with Core adding a sports package and Elite bolstering that with a lifestyle, music and family programming package.

Here's a rundown of the various Playstation Vue packages ($50, $60, $70): http://consumerist.com/2015/03/18/6...before-paying-50-70month-for-playstation-vue/

Several things stood out to me:
NO ESPN
No ABC
No Disney
No Premium Channels at all (HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz)
Currently only works on PS4, no mobile yet.

And at least for me, the cost is the same as paying for cable and getting those bits included. The article you linked summarized the target market as this:
BOTTOM LINE
People who may want to consider PS Vue:

• Current basic cable TV customers looking to get a service that comes close to replicating the pay-TV experience but without having to deal with a cable company.

• People without cable who want access to live TV without contractual commitment.

Which makes no sense, the first group already "have to deal with a cable company", and the second group would already have some contractual commitment for the broadband connection they need to use Vue. Or, if your internet provider doesn't require contractual commitment for internet, it is unlikely to require one for TV, either.

Seems to me like this is priced way to high, probably because of all the licensing fees Sony has to pay in order to make it work - which, as you mentioned above, still doesn't include the Big Mouse and all his friends.

Price isn't bad when you consider there are no installation fees, no monthly equipment rental fees and no contracts. You also have no limits to the number of shows you can record at once or overall. If they can expand device support to make it easy to use with a Roku, FireTV, etc for multiple screens that will really help.

Price isn't bad when you consider there are no installation fees, no monthly equipment rental fees and no contracts. You also have no limits to the number of shows you can record at once or overall. If they can expand device support to make it easy to use with a Roku, FireTV, etc for multiple screens that will really help.

I'm with you with the no installation fee part. My cable company (Charter) keeps offering me essentially the same price that I pay for just cable internet to also have their mid-level (no premium channels, but ESPN included) cable TV offering including a DVR, but will not waive the installation fee - which is atrocious. I've escalated the call repeatedly trying to explain to the "managers" that it makes sense for them to not waive the installation because it also provides me their VOD service which they make bank on. Nope, no deal. So I just continue to use their internet service to watch TV and I figure out my own way to work around the DVR situation (XBMC, etc).

But I disagree with the rental fees bit, because my pricing includes the DVR rental - although, yes. There is a limit to how many shows can be recorded at once. But I think even with the most basic DVR these days it's still 4 shows at once. Or 3 shows and watching 1 live, I forget how many tuners are in the latest DVRs, but they've expanded.

So in my particular instance, and I realize your mileage may vary, this would increase my monthly bill by at least $50 a month and if I wanted to purchase the same service directly from my cable provider, my monthly bill would remain the same but I'd be hit with a couple hundred dollar installation fee. That would still be cheaper than this option.

Who is this Vue option more economical for? I guess there are cable providers out there that screw their customers more than mine does, but mine seems pretty much in line with most major markets.

I believe you can use multiple streams at a time:

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/5-things-we-learned-about-playstation-vue-20150318

2Mbps internet + max tv channels tear = 30 USD on my place. Vue is way too expensive. But again, im pretty sure my country wont be their target market haha.

2Mbps internet + max tv channels tear = 30 USD on my place. Vue is way too expensive. But again, im pretty sure my country wont be their target market haha.
Price is a bit off but it includes DVR functionality and multiple users. IMO the worst part of the announcement is that does not work with VITA... So Sony has a streaming TV device that doesn't work with their premier streaming service... That's just poor planning on their part.

but that is their business model for years. Release stuff that only work on select few of their stuff. At least you can remoteplay to PS4 to Vuew right?

but that is their business model for years. Release stuff that only work on select few of their stuff. At least you can remoteplay to PS4 to Vuew right?
As a company they are trying to unify their offerings, strengthen the brand with consumers in ways that make sense like offering their movies and music on PlayStation and yet we have missteps like this....

arent they are moving away from "one sony" mantra? i think it was discussed a few pages back on this thread or on Microsoft's. Spinning off their divisions, selling it, etc while MS is more and more into "one microsoft".

Price is a bit off but it includes DVR functionality and multiple users. IMO the worst part of the announcement is that does not work with VITA... So Sony has a streaming TV device that doesn't work with their premier streaming service... That's just poor planning on their part.
Yeah, the PlayStation TV should have been the basic way to support additional screens in a house. "Sign up today and get 2 PlayStation TV steaming consoles for only $100!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back