News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You seem to be too in love with the physical hardware. No one in this thread wants game development and user experience development to end. We just want choice and convenience. As long as the UI and input mechanisms are consistent (and good), and online MP is balanced, then who cares what hardware is under the hood?

Look where this generation's hardware went - absolutely low end crap. It's just a business reality that consoles can't continue to be loss leaders, so they will never again pack cutting edge hardware. Why not break that cycle completely and give users the choice of what they want in terms of performance, features, and graphical capabilities?
I am a traditionalist. And as @Rurouni and @Nesh and @shredenvain denvain have mentioned already, having a close hardware has many advantages. Look at the Xbox One, it uses 3 OSes, they can tweak everything around per user feedback, they can control every little bit of the hardware and its firmwares. It's theirs, and you can make it UNIQUE. At the same time the experience is universal for everyone who owns the closed hardware.

You can drive a Ferrari F50, and a Mercedes Gullwing, even a train or a plane (in sims and games)...but is it the same as having those very rare cars and so on in real life? It will never be. Also closed hardware can run streamed games, so what's the problem?

I like hardware on consoles, I like the physical things. I like not to depend on connections, internet and stuff. I like the real things. For mobiles, streaming is fine in my eyes though.

That's great and your opinion, but it doesn't have anything to do with the console wars. Microsoft getting out of pure consoles won't end sh!t. You still have Sony and Nintendo whose followers will go at it. Xbox didnt exist during one of the most memorable console wars between the genesis and SNES. Console wars dont have to be participated in to begin with. I guess I am just old school as far as consoles go as I enjoy there being multiple companies having systems that have exclusive titles that make each system important and special. The problem with this newest gen console war wise is the insufferable A-holes they fill the internet willing to say anything no matter how negative to win an argument about their systems. This generation just started and is setting records in sales and people want it to go away?
Not to mention that even streamed games need some kind of hardware to be run on, be it a TV, PC, tablet, mobile, but yes, it has to be the Xbox the one that should disappear instead of a crappy mobile or any of those. What the heck? I don't see the point there.

TitanFall DLC is now FREE for everyone to celebrate it's 1 Year Anniversary. You still need the base game to play, but now all the DLC packs (Season Pass) are free on XBox360, XBox One, and PC. Info: http://www.titanfall.com/dlc

DLC Map Pack #3: IMC Rising

DLC Map Pack #2: Frontier’s Edge

DLC Map pack #1: Expedition

I found a quote in a Pcgamer interview from Phil Spencer that should help put to bed the idea that windows10 means all Xbox One exclusives go to PC.

PCG: Once it's (Halo MCC) all fixed up, any chance we'll see on PC?

Spencer: It's a good question. I want—well, through the streaming, obviously people will be able to play on their PCs in their home. And bringing more and more of the right genres to PC, I think is clearly in our future. But we don't have anything with Master Chief...I think it's sacrilege to talk about doing anything with Master Chief now other than making the experience better on Xbox One.
Here is a link to the entire article.
http://www.pcgamer.com/phil-spencer...hat-was-going-on-with-windows-to-launch-xbox/

and i just bought the season pass for 5 dollar on last year's discount :(

but this should boost the player again. Titanfall sorely need more players

I found a quote in a Pcgamer interview from Phil Spencer that should help put to bed the idea that windows10 means all Xbox One exclusives go to PC.

Spencer: It's a good question. I want—well, through the streaming, obviously people will be able to play on their PCs in their home. And bringing more and more of the right genres to PC, I think is clearly in our future. But we don't have anything with Master Chief...I think it's sacrilege to talk about doing anything with Master Chief now other than making the experience better on Xbox One.
http://www.pcgamer.com/phil-spencer...hat-was-going-on-with-windows-to-launch-xbox/

Sure, that's what you would get from that quote, because that's what you want to get out of it.

To me, I see a pause as he starts to say what he wants - realizes he can't say that and goes to the streaming bit. Then he talks about how he wants to bring more things to the PC, then after yet another pause ..., he says it's sacrilege to talk about anything other than making MCC better on Xbox One right now because it's been a huge sore spot about how horrible it has been. The last thing he can do is talk about bringing it to the PC when the game doesn't work on the Xbox One. People would flip if they knew resources were being expended it that way.

So, sure. You read that article and interpret his statements through your lens and I'll do the same. But it hardly "puts to bed" anything.

On an unrelated note: Does anybody know why we can't remote download and install apps from Xbox.com just like games?

It seems weird to me that we're restricted from using the service to install apps (like say... Crackle, to watch the new Dead Rising Movie, which I just tried to do), but we can with games?

I understand that game installs take longer and so it's more of benefit to remote install them, so they're ready when you want to use them while apps are small enough that it shouldn't be an issue to just download and install them immediately before use. But, still.. why not equip the feature?

Just a lack of demand and a long list of other priorities? Or is there something I'm missing in how apps interact that would make the implementation more difficult than I'm imagining?

Too bad I am not into (american) football -I want to learn but don't find how, at least not easily- although Joe Montana sounds familiar for reasons unknown to me. After reading the news, I don't think it's bogus at all.

I am in a rush, so in short... Xbox One bundle featuring Ori and the Blind Forest to launch in Austria.

XboxOne_Ori_Packshot.jpg

I'm betting Bogus. The article mentions some weird licensing agreement that doesn't make sense to me. You can't make a multi-platform NFL licensed game, because EA owns the rights to that. But you can still make an NFL licensed game as long as it is only XB1 and PC? I can't imagine a licensing agreement would work that way.

Too bad I am not into (american) football -I want to learn but don't find how, at least not easily- although Joe Montana sounds familiar for reasons unknown to me.

If you have EA Access, I'll play some Madden 15 with you and help you learn the ropes (I'm not good at this game myself, not having played for 4 years or so), and I can at least explain the concepts of "American Football", if you'd like. If you don't have EA Access, it's probably not worth picking up a copy of the game, although that's up to you. :D

I'm betting Bogus. The article mentions some weird licensing agreement that doesn't make sense to me. You can't make a multi-platform NFL licensed game, because EA owns the rights to that. But you can still make an NFL licensed game as long as it is only XB1 and PC? I can't imagine a licensing agreement would work that way.
Would EA be allowed to resell the rights as long as within the conditions of their license? What if MS paid EA to make an exclusive NFL game without treading on Madden's toes?

Would EA be allowed to resell the rights as long as within the conditions of their license? What if MS paid EA to make an exclusive NFL game without treading on Madden's toes?

Hmmm... that's an interesting question. If you own exclusivity can you also decide to allow others to violate that exclusivity through making another deal with third parties? I suppose it's impossible to answer that without actually reading the exclusivity agreement that EA has with the NFL. The third party would still have to pay the NFL for their license, so the NFL probably wouldn't care because they would get to double dip. EA paid a boatload for not only the ability to license the NFL, but for the exclusive ability to do so. If EA wants to allow somebody else to piggyback on their license (as you suggest, MS paid them for this right), I would imagine the NFL wouldn't care, so all parties involved in the transaction would benefit.

I don't really see the benefit to EA, though. They are allowing a competitor (albeit, only on PC and Xbox), for their product when they paid handsomely to prevent competitors. EA had the choice of just licensing NFL property and they chose to spend significantly more money for exclusive licensing rights. If they thought their product was so solid that they didn't have to worry about competitors, they wouldn't have paid for exclusivity to begin with.

Where's the benefit to EA? Other than that they can then control who else can license NFL properties. But it's not like they can agree to only have crappy games as competitors. It's not like they can say that 2K can make an NFL game on the Xbox and PC as long as it's garbage and isn't good enough to compete with their tentpole franchise.

Where's the benefit to EA?
Money. If MS offered enough, it'd justify it. The question would then be what would MS get out of it? An exclusive NFL game that uses Kinect might be worth it for US competition, but it's a very niche market. An otherwise conventional NFL game makes little sense. Depends on the price I suppose, if such a deal is possible.

Sure, that's what you would get from that quote, because that's what you want to get out of it.

To me, I see a pause as he starts to say what he wants - realizes he can't say that and goes to the streaming bit. Then he talks about how he wants to bring more things to the PC, then after yet another pause ..., he says it's sacrilege to talk about anything other than making MCC better on Xbox One right now because it's been a huge sore spot about how horrible it has been. The last thing he can do is talk about bringing it to the PC when the game doesn't work on the Xbox One. People would flip if they knew resources were being expended it that way.

So, sure. You read that article and interpret his statements through your lens and I'll do the same. But it hardly "puts to bed" anything.

Yah the quote can have 2 meanings.
The point is they aren't bringing all exclusives to Windows 10!
Here is another link that provides the same sort of info. Phil basically states that Forza isn't right for windows 10.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-03-13-microsofts-new-vision-for-the-xbox-one?

You don't have to agree with what I am saying. You don't have to like the situation, but you do need to acknowledge that until Microsoft comes out and announces otherwise. The Xbox One will continue to have exclusive 1st party games. You and other people read to much into what MS announced at the Windows 10 event and GDC. They will bring more Xbox One first party titles to windows 10, but they aren't going to completely devalue a console they just released a little more than a year ago by not offering exclusive titles.

If you have EA Access, I'll play some Madden 15 with you and help you learn the ropes (I'm not good at this game myself, not having played for 4 years or so), and I can at least explain the concepts of "American Football", if you'd like. If you don't have EA Access, it's probably not worth picking up a copy of the game, although that's up to you. :D
Many thanks, much appreciated. The science of learning from a videogame is better than a not-so-great start learning from a real life match because you aren't interacting and might not know what's going on. It's also a videogames fan dream. :D Still, as you have guessed correctly, I don't have EA Access for now, plus my HD space is limited --it's imperative for me to get a new USB 3.0 HD. My library of games is also relatively large -sure more varied than EA's- so I had to delete games from the HD and sometimes I just have so many games to play and choose from (in fact, I'd want to play more Diablo 3 and so on and so forth, so many good games.., but that's how it is)

Anyways, I am going to add you the next time I log into Xbox Live.

Doubtful. NFL would want a piece of anything made with the licence, including a sublicence. The only way I can see there being any truth to the rumor is if the game in question is a mobile title that supports Windows Phone and by extension Windows 8/10 and Xbox One.

Most likely it probably means multi-platform as the console manufacturer's think of multi-platform. IE - multiple console platforms. PC is likely negotiated separately from that.

Regards,
SB

Yah the quote can have 2 meanings.
The point is they aren't bringing all exclusives to Windows 10!
Here is another link that provides the same sort of info. Phil basically states that Forza isn't right for windows 10.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-03-13-microsofts-new-vision-for-the-xbox-one?

You don't have to agree with what I am saying. You don't have to like the situation, but you do need to acknowledge that until Microsoft comes out and announces otherwise. The Xbox One will continue to have exclusive 1st party games. You and other people read to much into what MS announced at the Windows 10 event and GDC. They will bring more Xbox One first party titles to windows 10, but they aren't going to completely devalue a console they just released a little more than a year ago by not offering exclusive titles.

Yeah, again, none of his quotes say that. You are reading into it what you want to. In fact, what he says about Forza is that there's no demand for racing games on the PC and that currently games and being made for different experiences - television gaming is different than monitor gaming. But,

If you play this out - so let's not talk about the next 6 months but talk about the next three or four years - you'll see more and more developers that are building these games that are appropriate for any screen that the gamer's sitting down on. And that's just more opportunity for gamers and developers.

He thinks future games are going to be made so they can succeed on both the TV and Monitor, both the couch and the desk.

What he announced at GDC was the ability to develop cross platform games. Nobody has said that MCC will be available on Windows 10, or that Sunset Overdrive will, or that currently being developed games will be, either. However, the games that are just starting development will be cross platform. When we see games that would have been Xb1 exclusives cross platform will depend on the development cycle of those games.

As he said about, this isn't something that will happen in the next 6 months. It's their vision going forward. It's their vision for what the landscape will be in 3 or 4 years. Which is pretty much the development cycle for any AAA game.

I had to laugh at the "you can do it through streaming" answer. Lol, not quite the same thing Phil.

Too bad I am not into (american) football -I want to learn but don't find how, at least not easily- although Joe Montana sounds familiar for reasons unknown to me. After reading the news, I don't think it's bogus at all.

I am in a rush, so in short... Xbox One bundle featuring Ori and the Blind Forest to launch in Austria.

XboxOne_Ori_Packshot.jpg
I need that box so I can frame the art in my kids room. I find myself stopping in the game to just look at what they crafted, jealous that my stickman can't even look right. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back