Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

Carmack on "worst case scenario" with software-based asynchronous time warp:

youtube.com/watch?list=WL&feature=player_detailpage&v=UNAmAxT7-qs#t=3125

John Carmack tweeted:

2015-03-05%20Carmack%20Tweet%20Morpheus.png

So, now we know precisely how Valve's VR system is collecting positional data.

"Lighthouse" beacon contains the array of small laser emitters which are rotating at the speed of 100 rpm. When each laser falls on tracked device [headset or controller], the photo receptors report which laser hit them [every laser and every rotation is coded] and they just send at what time they reported the hit. PC collects timings when lasers were sent, when photons were received, and the rest is just a quick math. Oculus calculates headset position by processing 60hz video stream for positions of IR dots, which asks for complicated math and more processing power that Valve's design.

Additionally, Digital Foundry reports that Valve VR demos on were powered by single GTX 980, and that all demos had great aliasing/framerate [90].

Correction: not a small household solution. ;) I think it's very cool though! The first version holodeck indeed.

IMO, this is opposite of complex. It is elegant and much less processing heavy than Oculus and Morpheus [who are limited to real-time processing of 60fps video feed for positions of IR dots [which can be interfered by other lights in the house]]. You just plug lighthouses into the wall plugs and do initial calibration. If you don't have place for walking, fine, nobody is forcing that on users, especially since majority of games will also be compatible with Oculus/Morpheus who are more focused on sitting/standing still.

If you don't have place for walking, fine, nobody is forcing that on users.
I would hope the game designers are, otherwise what's the point of a feature you don't have? ;) I see this as an Arcade solution. It'd work great there and cost won't be an issue.

The Gallery: Six Elements devs have already shown that it supports everything - sitting, standing, and Valve VR walking in small environments.

I think walking around is a terrible idea for VR. AR, it's great. VR, it's dumb. You'd basically need a special room that's always clear for walking around, but you'd better have a good sense of where the walls are, or any furniture. And you'd better make sure all of your Legos are cleaned up. I hate stepping on Lego!

And God knows how you're supposed to accurately avoid wires.

Edit: I'm sure the plural of Lego is Lego.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. Lego is Lego. I watched the Lego Batman movie the other day and it had a feature at the end with a Lego professional who made this point. As kids we always called Lego 'Lego' in plural. I associate the individualisation of the blocks as an Americanism. The block isn't a 'Lego', but a 'Lego block/brick'.

I'm sure some folk could arrange a very nice VR space, but if it's not something you can depend on as a developer, who's going to target it? For spacial movement, ideally you want an infinite walk system. That stuff is great for arcades. For home users, convenience means you want locomotion kept to a minimum. Sony's been fairly smart IMO by uncluding the break-out box and recognising there's a social need, even though VR is inherently anti-social (outside of the VR realm). Watching Dad fumble around in a 15' space in front of the TV isn't going to be altogether fun (until you start trying to block him, move furniture, etc), whereas having him on a chair and watching on TV lets you at least share as a spectator, maybe shouting advice.

IMO, this is opposite of complex. It is elegant and much less processing heavy than Oculus and Morpheus [who are limited to real-time processing of 60fps video feed for positions of IR dots [which can be interfered by other lights in the house]]. You just plug lighthouses into the wall plugs and do initial calibration. If you don't have place for walking, fine, nobody is forcing that on users, especially since majority of games will also be compatible with Oculus/Morpheus who are more focused on sitting/standing still.

What make you think that it's less processing heavy than Morpheus? As far as we know object tracking could be done in hardware.

why tested videos always too long... their video seems have good informations but simply too long.

btw the dualshock4 VR representation seems running at lower rate than the head. Its quite laggy. But not as laggy as kinect1.

I agree, it's extremely simple to process the data compared to any other solutions so far, and in theory it's more robust data. The only con is that it's a mechanical thing, which might become noisy or sensitive to vibrations, it needs a lot of sensors on the headset. And the other con of Valve is that it looks like the headset lenses are crap compared to the latest oculus and morpheus. (but... prototype)

Morpheus is not limited to 60Hz, the stereo camera can do 120Hz at a very useful resolution, and the accelerometers and gyros continue to calculate the position at 1000Hz (those frames are simple math between the camera frame decoding). The camera data is to get the absolute position, and then keep the system from drifting.

Oculus is only 60Hz and have more issues with positioning because there's no stereo camera for triangulation, but it's also using accel/gyros at 1000Hz, and also magnetometers (I think Morpheus doesn't need them anymore, they needed them for the old Move system with only one camera).

Wild theory, It's possible that Valve used this system because it's the safe one that wasn't patented for VR, or expired because laser scan is extremely old technology for triangulation... Sony have a lot of stuff from Richard Marks work on the original eyetoy, MS bought a lot of VR patents, and facebook also bought a lot of VR patents. Apple being Apple, they patented "putting a phone close to your eyes". This is all patent warfare, everybody is walking on eggs.

IMO, this is opposite of complex. It is elegant...
A cluster of laser emitters and a truck-load of photoreceptors dotted all over the headset and wands isn't what I'd call elegant. Morpheus has a single unit camera sensor and a few LEDs which also look quite cool. The mathematical solution for Vive's triangulation is perhaps more elegant, but the data acquisition and hardware isn't.
You just plug lighthouses into the wall plugs and do initial calibration.
I don't know any households where the wall-plugs aren't out-of-site, typically behind furniture, often with a multiple point adaptor on the end to attach all the necessary electronics. In an ideal case where you have a couple of wall sockets free and no furniture in the way, great. But for ordinary folk, Vive would likely require considerable room rearranging for an experience mostly achieved by Morpheus and a less ridiculous looking glowing wand.

Move came in for a lot of grief on its design, but they look like Red Dot design winners next to Vive's positively medieval maces!

The novelty makes the Steam tracker the new hottest thing in the world,but as Shifty says I cant see how cant be considered more elegant an integrated solution based on a camera and some leds,besides Morpheus looks super hot.I hope also they mantain the name, i really like it. On the other hand Sony has something nobody has,apart from their own Oled R&D,they have MINOLTA.

The novelty makes the Steam tracker the new hottest thing in the world,but as Shifty says I cant see how cant be considered more elegant an integrated solution based on a camera and some leds,besides Morpheus looks super hot.I hope also they mantain the name, i really like it. On the other hand Sony has something nobody has,apart from their own Oled R&D,they have MINOLTA.

What does MINOLTA have to do with Morpheus? The sensors in the PS4 camera is from Omnivision.

Back