Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

They have a more elaborate and complete system than oculus, so I doubt they would sell it for less. Oculus still has no release date nor price other than the wide range of 200 to 400. The target price seems to be 300 for now. Morpheus at 400 is going to be a hard sell unless it's a total package with camera and Move. And a good game bundled.

It sucks a bit that I'll have to get oculus for my PC rig, and morpheus for my PS4. At least that's not the case for force feedback wheel kit. I just have to be careful to make sure it's licenced for PS4 (secure chip). I hope sony release morpheus on pc eventually. But they have a delicate truce right now that might be more valuable to them.

What do you mean by more elaborate and complete system ?

We really don't know what oculus will have since its not announced. They have some ex valve engineers that worked on vr and they have worked closely in the past and have spoken about their need for controls.

The dev kit 2 launched with a 75hz 1080p oled panel last year. Oculus has gear vr shipping with a 2560x1440 screen since nov 2014.

They are rumored to have consumer version 1 ready early fall (based on Carmacks tweet today). Sony will show up months late to the party. They announced a first half 2016 release date . so they will be at least a few months to half a year late. At that point htc , oculus and others may be talking and showing off their second gen head sets.

I think Sony has a very tight rope to walk.

On the one side they have gear vr to combat against. Its currently $200 + the cost of the cell phone. For tens of millions of galaxy note 4 , galaxy s6 ,6 edge and more coming in the future will have their phone and see this as a cheap vr price.

Then you have Sony. The cost for the ps4 is $400 today. What will it be in a year ? Then you add in another $400 head set ? Your looking at $800. Even with a $100 price cut by then on the ps4 your still looking at $700 entry.

Then you have valve and oculus . What are their price points ? a $300 rift or vive leaves you with $400 to put towards a new video card or to put towards a fancier laptop for gaming.

That's why I think they will try to hit $300 and under. $300 for the head set with camera and then you can pick up the ps4 for $300 in spring of 2016.

This is a console device. They are not competing much with either pc nor mobile, only on a very superficial level. Impression of value comes into play based on what is available, but nobody will be on the fence deciding between a gear vr and morpheus. Those with a ps4 will hesitate between buying one or not. Gamers deciding between xb1 and ps4 will consider the availability of vr carefully.

Occulus has to recoup their dev costs from the hardware by making a margin on the hardware sale. Sony wouldn't really have to. They can probably sell at break-even and make the money through software sales and generally attracting more people to PS4. In terms of sale price, they should have Occulus beat.

Occulus has to recoup their dev costs from the hardware by making a margin on the hardware sale. Sony wouldn't really have to. They can probably sell at break-even and make the money through software sales and generally attracting more people to PS4. In terms of sale price, they should have Occulus beat.
Makes sense. But they have an outboard processor with rectilinear output pass-through and a sound processor, and a more expensive stereo 240fps camera. The screen is probably a similar cost (if oculus stays with a pentile 1440p, that's a similar price to a real rgb 1080p, based on phablet BOM), the rest of the hardware is similar too.

Facebook might be in a position to try a quick adoption rate this early, before too many competitors appear on the PC side. Sony have a different consideration, they must be quick before MS comes out with a VR for XB1 (or nintendo... naaah), but it's nowhere near the same situation. PC gamers are in their own microcosm. My decison to buy oculus for my PC have no link with my decision to get morpheus for PS4. Each decision exist based on availability of games on each platform to justify the cost of the peripheral. I went through the same decison process about a wheel, it's just fun that I can buy one for both.

This is a console device. They are not competing much with either pc nor mobile, only on a very superficial level. Impression of value comes into play based on what is available, but nobody will be on the fence deciding between a gear vr and morpheus. Those with a ps4 will hesitate between buying one or not. Gamers deciding between xb1 and ps4 will consider the availability of vr carefully.
I don't agree , these are new device types and everyone will have to consider what platform to get , the one for their phone that they use every where , the one on their console with a bunch of wires sticking out , the one on the pc that also has a lot of wires and everyone will make a choice based on something. Even people with ps4s will think of the other options avalible

Why ? Oculus is going to have their own store front just like

Makes sense. But they have an outboard processor with rectilinear output pass-through and a sound processor, and a more expensive stereo 240fps camera. The screen is probably a similar cost (if oculus stays with a pentile 1440p, that's a similar price to a real rgb 1080p, based on phablet BOM), the rest of the hardware is similar too.

Facebook might be in a position to try a quick adoption rate this early, before too many competitors appear on the PC side. Sony have a different consideration, they must be quick before MS comes out with a VR for XB1 (or nintendo... naaah), but it's nowhere near the same situation. PC gamers are in their own microcosm. My decison to buy oculus for my PC have no link with my decision to get morpheus for PS4. Each decision exist based on availability of games on each platform to justify the cost of the peripheral. I went through the same decison process about a wheel, it's just fun that I can buy one for both.

We don't know what oculus has , it hasn't been announced yet .

If you invent imaginary devices, anything is possible. I go with what we know.

Oculus VR, who are now owned by Facebook, probably aren't focussed so much on recouping sunk R&D costs but monetisation going forward. But you're right, Sony's overall package is complete - Sony PS4, Sony controllers, Sony VR headset and if you're springing from scratch for a VR platform then it's almost certainly going to be a cheaper than Oculus, a PC to drive it and controllers. Sony will make getting VR simple without worries of setup or compatibility.

It'll be a long time before VR devices for PC are the kind of commodity peripherals where you can plug and play and everything will just work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read all report and interview about Sony Morpheus and I think the eastmen and Engadget journalist problem will not been adressed.

For me sony needs to start leveraging Sony pictures and have a lot of real life experiences ready for Morpheus when it launches like documentaries or sports experiences for the mainstream, have a sub section on the psn store thats got nothing to do with gaming. Thats how you pull in the "normal people" :)

Do we have a thread for HTC/Valve Vive VR?

pvXwld3.jpg

K8rcSbx.jpg

http://www.roadtovr.com/valve-talks-advanced-vr-rendering-live-blog-5pm-pst/

A couple of Morpheus related videos:

First, a piece of a Bloomberg interview with Richard Marks. It does not appear to be the whole thing and it loops for some reason.
[

Second, a shaky cam video of part of the GDC presentation.

EDIT

I had not seen some of these improvements mentioned or outlined previously. This is from the RoadtoVR Live Blog.
img_54f76b228b7e7.jpg

Last edited:
Anandtech said Vive HTC did not have directional audio. Maybe they simply has not implemented it.

btw on that morpheus photo. what do they mean as inline remote?

I only watched that second video, but that second video is great (from a geek about motion controls and controller kind of perspective at least). That controlling a 3D platformer setup was fantastic. That would immediately work for a large range of games.

I only watched that second video, but that second video is great (from a geek about motion controls and controller kind of perspective at least). That controlling a 3D platformer setup was fantastic. That would immediately work for a large range of games.

To be blunt, that first video is of little value to anyone who has been following this even loosely. But I suspect the intended audience for that interview is not us.

Back