MassEffect4: Dropping older consoles has had an impact on gameplay

And Shepherd is now a mixed black/latino trans-(STRONG)woman because inclusiveness.
No gender choice this time. Bioware has decided what is canon to make things more consistent.

If Dragon Age Inquisition is anything to go by, expect lots and lots of shoehorned stuff for representation awards and inclusiveness checklist.
:smile2: What about a raped zombie transsexual?

I really wouldn't want another game with Commander "Space Jesus" Shepherd.
Not having played any of the Mass Effect games I'd also prefer a clean sweep.. Otherwise I will definitely feel compelled to play the first three games and mechanics that people often complained about are particular pet peeves and would drive me crazy.

Not having played any of the Mass Effect games I'd also prefer a clean sweep.. Otherwise I will definitely feel compelled to play the first three games and mechanics that people often complained about are particular pet peeves and would drive me crazy.

Short version:
Shepard is a jerk

Extras:
Jellyfish
Wrex, Shepard.
Mordin singing
Tali relationship
Mass Effect CSI

----

Would really like it if they went back to the 80s sci-fi style of the first game. :/ Second game wasn't too bad (grittier/gloomier), but it lost it's charm in the third game completely.

I really wouldn't want another game with Commander "Space Jesus" Shepherd. Bioware really need to get the handle of a little thing called subtlty in their RPGs. Both ME and now DA:I went too far to the point of becoming grating with the whole, "YOU ARE THE CHOSEN ONE", "SPACE MESSIAH", "SAVIOUR OF ALL" themes, that constantly hit you in the head with it over and over and over until you actually sorta started believing you were in real life (lol).

I see your point. However, while playing saviour has been done a thousand times, there aren't many stories that deal with a saviour experiencing the outcomes and consequences of his/her actions.

Would really like it if they went back to the 80s sci-fi style of the first game. :/ Second game wasn't too bad (grittier/gloomier), but it lost it's charm in the third game completely.

I really liked Mass Effect 3, but Mass Effect 1 looked a bit like an 80s sci-fi movie you would have watched on a VHS tape, and it had that great synth music. That definitely needs to come back.

Give us a fresh start so you can go nutz with the narrative/story/races etc, and not be hobbled by the first trilogy's narrative baggage... Just not "ME3-ending" nutz

It's almost certainly a pre-/side-/interquel.

From the new lead :
Every day is a revelation and every day I get to play in a new corner of the universe,” Schlerf says. “To be able to look three steps ahead to, ‘Where does this take us and how does it add to the way we look at the Mass Effect trilogy?

He also added :
You couldn’t ask for a better playground.

What a humongous lie, what new lead writer coming into someone else's pet project wants to be completely boxed in by the existing story and only expose new viewpoints on old canon? Look at what Mac did to the story after he got his hands on it, that's how almost all new writers want to work with existing stories unless they have a serious case of hero worship (and I can't see anyone worshipping Mac).

The ME3 ending fucked up the two games for the price of one ... damnit Bioware. I know the ending was meant a scorched Earth approach to give the old lead the final say but it doesn't make sense to actually let him get away with it. People who hated ME3 will accept huge asspulls to get beyond it, people who liked ME3 already proved that they'll accept huge asspulls and the franchise simply has more room for profit if it's open ended ...

I personally had no problems with ME3's ending, only some with the way it was first presented - everything was inevitably heading to major changes, so I'm not sure what other people expected instead. Still, this was inevitable, I haven't seen any story closure that worked well for everyone. The one thing it shows clearly is that a lot of people became quite attached to the characters and the universe. Catering to the expectations of the entire fan base is always impossible.

That had more to do with budgets, I believe. Reusing the same vendor work has probably allowed them to allocate more money for the actual game :)

It's also funny to see complaints about this. Just think about the ending for Deus Ex, not even any engine movies as I recall. Criticizing the superficial elements is not really valid - a more interesting debate would be focused on the actual events...

When I played ME3, all the crap about the ending had already settled and I played it with the "fixed" endings already.
My first contact with the issue was through popular games' media, which painted all people complaining as "entitled bastards who're squandering the developers' artistic freedom".

Having played the game, I perfectly understand why people were upset with the ending.
The original ending was the same, no matter what. Either Shephard had been good or bad, had he done lots of sidequests to warrant more help or just crept his way on to the ending without caring for any NPC: the ending was the same.
All the decision making that was made throughout the game was completely pointless in the end. That's frustrating to say the least.
Previous Mass Effect games showed different endings conditioned by the player's actions throughout the game: good endings, bad endings, more/less characters surviving, etc. ME3's ending just left everyone with a feeling of powerlessness after some 30-40 hours of gameplay.

Of course, out of thousands of protesters, one chickenshit decided to send an e-mail with a death threat so that gave the media the ammunition they needed to insult everyone who wasn't happy with the ending.

Dragon Age I still had the classic BioWare walking away animation! Now if they want to go next-gen on us, give us the Mako on worlds like No Man's Sky. You could spend years jet jumping around.

If ME3 had an ending completely predetermined by your actions throughout the game, and possibly through all the previous games, then that would have been the reason for complaint - no real room left for player decision and all. It had to come down to a final choice at the end, I see no other solution. And once again I have to mention Deus Ex which pretty much did the same - the end game was a direct result of a final choice, despite all the player freedom throughout the story.

Also, all those decisions did matter in the end, by shaping the destinies of the characters in your crew and the overall outcomes for the greater story threads like the Genocide. It's of course pointless to get into more specifics, there are a LOT of variables and denying the player's involvement in the resolutions is silly.

I think the major factor in disappointment has to be that the game did not offer a win-win solution at the end...

I think what disappointed me most about the ending was that they completely ignored the dark energy issue surrounding the premature exploding of stars that was introduced in ME2. I'm not entirely sure it would have been a worse explanation than what we did get eventually with the reason behind the Reaper motive or existence (trying to mitigate conflict between organics and machines).

It's complex. The Geth supposedly develop their tech independently of Mass Effect Fields. Somehow the Reaper machines could not. Why do not the Reaper machines, and the Geth machines do? Inevitable consequence/impatience/programming demands total annihilation every 50K years (folly assumption, especially if time was running out for the Reaper Creators i.e. someone else could come up with a solution that you could not. *ahem*). Not enough time to explore the consequences of MEF. I DON'T KNOW.

The mass relays jump-start the technological leaps of species to inevitable conclusions for technological progression. Said civilizations would need to know about the issue though, and be pressured enough to act upon it (ahem oil vs alternative energy sources *cough*). idk.

Not enough accumulation of knowledge at the 50K span of time (TIME RUNNING OUT) - only enough for evolution to get said species into space.

At the time of destruction, species are concerned about the war started by Reapers.

I don't know. Humpback whales save Earth.

----

It's still curious to me that they haven't made the ME3 MP a separate F2P game. :p It would have been interesting to see them release that first, and then release the ME3 campaign at a later date.

I personally had no problems with ME3's ending, only some with the way it was first presented - everything was inevitably heading to major changes, so I'm not sure what other people expected instead. Still, this was inevitable, I haven't seen any story closure that worked well for everyone. The one thing it shows clearly is that a lot of people became quite attached to the characters and the universe. Catering to the expectations of the entire fan base is always impossible.

The cliche ending would have been to have the mcguffin weakening them, you fighting them with your recruitment drive determining the win/loss(es) ... I promise you, the cliche would have been better received (even if Shepard had to die).

PS. I'd still have felt betrayed by what they did to Legion ... died on his knees betraying his entire ME2 character.

I have to admit, Legion was pretty interesting to see on both sides at the end of the Rannoch mission.

I really liked Mass Effect 3, but Mass Effect 1 looked a bit like an 80s sci-fi movie you would have watched on a VHS tape, and it had that great synth music. That definitely needs to come back.

The replacement of crouch button with melee-combo is pretty big flaw in my book, but then I favor sneaky/adherent , henchmen directing type gameplay instead of collective run&gun, thought ME1 was better in this aspect than Fallout3 (= meaningful control over henchmen) , then ME2 was a disappointment for the same reason.

If ME3 had an ending completely predetermined by your actions throughout the game, and possibly through all the previous games, then that would have been the reason for complaint - no real room left for player decision and all.
Perhaps I'm lost in translation, but this doesn't make any sense to me.

It had to come down to a final choice at the end, I see no other solution.
There was no choice at the end in the original version of the game. Certainly not one that made any difference. Perhaps this is where your confusion comes from.

I think the major factor in disappointment has to be that the game did not offer a win-win solution at the end...
No.
There are lots of games with "only bad endings" that people love. Deus Ex: HR and Spec Ops The Line are two of them.

That was the main idea sold by Kotaku&friends, though. That gamers were acting like "entitled bitches" because there was no good ending.
Then the ending patch came out, all of them were "bad" endings, except if you did 100% of the game + 100% of the mobile game + a bunch of other stuff (that very few people did).
People were mostly happy with the patch, proving kotaku&friends wrong.

There was no choice at the end in the original version of the game. Certainly not one that made any difference. Perhaps this is where your confusion comes from.

Aaaaand I'm out of this discussion. Complete lack of respect, thank you very much.

A polite disagreement means a complete lack of respect for you?
Wow..

Back