MassEffect4: Dropping older consoles has had an impact on gameplay

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
According to the developers of the game, Mass Effect 4 will only be released on the Xbox One, PS4 and PC, so it's going to be a new-gen exclusive.

This brings the possibility to focus on newer technology. and they say that this fact is going to have a huge impact on the gameplay.

Mass-Effect.jpg

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/mass-effect-4-dropping-older-consoles-has-had-impact-on-gameplay

“I’d go so far as to say that dropping the older consoles has had more impact on the overall gameplay goals of the next Mass Effect game than what Dragon Age: Inquisition successfully accomplished," said Flynn.

Taking to NeoGAF, Flynn highlighted that despite the fact Dragon Age Inquisition has been commercially and critically successful, Mass Effect will be an entirely different beast.

“All of our games are using Frostbite now,” said Flynn. “We’ve said the next Mass Effect (and our new IP, but I won’t expand on that yet) uses some of the technology from Dragon Age: Inquisition. We’ve been enjoying building larger areas that you can explore with less friction, so that’ll be there as well.”

“But after that, the next Mass Effect will be (and should be) drawing on its own rich and successful past more than what Dragon Age: Inquisition would say it should do. Take the Mako, something we’ve already shown in prototype form. We had that in Mass Effect 1, and bringing it back is more related to a feeling that we can do it much better than we did before and fulfil the original promise of that gameplay. That has nothing to do with Dragon Age: Inquisition.”

“We’re very proud of what Dragon: Age Inquisition, but that does not set a ‘template’ for what every other game we make needs to be. Each game franchise needs to innovate and improve their experience based on what’s best for it, not just what another game had success with.”

Too may developers/studios said the same and yet I have not seen a single next-gen game that did something that was "impossible" to do on last-gen in therms of gameplay.

Last edited:
Now if only they could drop the old story, rather than be boxed in by it :p
Mass Effect 4 will open with Cmdr. Shepherd stepping out of the shower and saying "I just had the weirdest dream"

Too may developers/studios said the same and yet I have not seen a single next-gen game that did something that was "impossible" to do on last-gen in therms of gameplay.
Elimination of load times in building interiors of Assassin Creed Unity. Todd Howard voiced similar remarks regarding future Bethesda titles in a german interview last year, that because of the ram increase they could have the interior of buildings loaded by the time you click to open a door and that as you approach a building you could lets say a tavern for example you could start to hear the noises from inside as you approach.

Mass Effect 4 will open with Cmdr. Shepherd stepping out of the shower and saying "I just had the weirdest dream"
And Shepherd is now a mixed black/latino trans-(STRONG)woman because inclusiveness.
No gender choice this time. Bioware has decided what is canon to make things more consistent.

If Dragon Age Inquisition is anything to go by, expect lots and lots of shoehorned stuff for representation awards and inclusiveness checklist.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd sooner buy a ME4 sequel/AU with a wheelchair driving multiracial hermaphrodite protagonist than a pre/mid/sidequel.

Well, I guess they could make a game about Jeff "Joker", after he went through a gender-change surgery...

But then they would be portraying a woman that wouldn't be invincible/faultless (since she would be wheelchair-bound), so 3rd-wave feminists would still hate the character.

I've given up on expecting next-gen gameplay. There hasn't been a real ambitious game from a gameplay standpoint in ages. I just want a good Mass Effect game, and the other 3 were good, so I'm confident in this one.

This means we'll get a holster animation right?

And characters who look like they're running more realistically...........right?

Anyways, regarding character creation, I just hope they have much better control over the features (DA: I felt a step backwards with weird 2D grid that did not have fixed steps), more hair styles, and the ability to change mid-game due to non-in-game-fucked-up-character-creation lighting (DA2 had the Black Weapons Emporium thing, why not DA: I or ME3 blah blah)

Need more choice for bang, ok?

Personally, the improvements that I'd want to see?

- they have the opportunity to make a better "world".
Skyrim felt like a real world... full of strange secrets that you could wander into. DAI felt like a really big assassin's creed map. Putting collectibles & hostile creatures everywhere made the game feel pretty small.

- the castle thing.
A great idea, but mostly pointless and technically uninteresting. Maybe 'next-gen' allows actual base-building etc

- UI.
I'll give bioware the benefit of the doubt and say that maybe DiCE didn't integrate some form of HTML rendering for the UI, and as a result they were unable to fix their awful UI?

It's also possible that they are talking about the online aspects of ME4 - although I'm not sure what that means exactly (certainly DAI's strategic map felt pretty weird).

This means we'll get a holster animation right?

And characters who look like they're running more realistically...........right?

And facial animation! Facial animation in Inquisition was gawdawful!
(beware spoilers)

I guess what we want for character customization is this:
Black Desert Online

- they have the opportunity to make a better "world".
Skyrim felt like a real world... full of strange secrets that you could wander into. DAI felt like a really big assassin's creed map. Putting collectibles & hostile creatures everywhere made the game feel pretty small.

I guess it becomes a problem of how extensive, what with multiple worlds/locations. I gather they don't have the luxury of Bethesda's development cycle. :p But yeah, more sidequests - I thought ME2 was pretty decent for that - just need to combine it with the land exploration.

The resource/collectible gathering - they could maybe look into making that more involved, like negotiating with people who own said items/objectives, not just finding them randomly in the galaxy and mining or bending over to pick it up off the ground every 2 meters. Getting tired of finding/gathering.

- the castle thing.
A great idea, but mostly pointless and technically uninteresting. Maybe 'next-gen' allows actual base-building etc

hm.... Might as well stick to the ship and vehicle upgrades I suppose (it's your mobile fortress). Adding interior design customizations would probably be the next step for that.

Black Desert Online

Some of us can dream. :(

I've given up on expecting next-gen gameplay. There hasn't been a real ambitious game from a gameplay standpoint in ages. I just want a good Mass Effect game, and the other 3 were good, so I'm confident in this one.

Yeah, I'm not sure how I want them to expand the combat aspect really. It's all kind of centered around no-jumping, and they've made it unique enough with their biotics/tech abilities. I play the single player for the character/story aspects. At the same time... I dunno. The combat just needs to be competent, which I thought was fine in ME3.

Multiplayer is where it shined IMO - tech/biotic explosions i.e. teamwork. I'm sure they learned a lot about balancing and creating unique weapons over the course of the two years it still had a decent population. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to look at Gears 3 control handling for some input (still feels a bit weird in ME3 at times).

They could maybe stand to make the environment more dynamic (i.e. destruction) now that they're using Frostbite.

Wonder how they're handling sound design. Loved ME3's explosions, and the guns sounded pretty meaty without being overwhelmed. Just hope they don't follow some other games that have sounds for every single little damn thing.

Would be interesting if they basically did something like a Mad Max in space. No one has done a post apocalyptic setting on a galactic level and ME's story arc basically allows for the exploration of such a setting.

I wouldn't mind if Commander Shepard is brought back. Given that he was brought back to life after falling from orbit, he can be a relatively unique character. He can be the first video game character that dies every game. LOL.

Would be interesting if they basically did something like a Mad Max in space. No one has done a post apocalyptic setting on a galactic level and ME's story arc basically allows for the exploration of such a setting.

I wouldn't mind if Commander Shepard is brought back. Given that he was brought back to life after falling from orbit, he can be a relatively unique character. He can be the first video game character that dies every game. LOL.

I really wouldn't want another game with Commander "Space Jesus" Shepherd. Bioware really need to get the handle of a little thing called subtlty in their RPGs. Both ME and now DA:I went too far to the point of becoming grating with the whole, "YOU ARE THE CHOSEN ONE", "SPACE MESSIAH", "SAVIOUR OF ALL" themes, that constantly hit you in the head with it over and over and over until you actually sorta started believing you were in real life (lol).

I do like your idea of a postapocalyptic galaxy though, dobwal. But I'd honestly a ME game set thousands of years after the events of ME3, where the events of the first three games are only really alluded to in part of the new galaxy's ancient history texts.

Give us a fresh start so you can go nutz with the narrative/story/races etc, and not be hobbled by the first trilogy's narrative baggage... Just not "ME3-ending" nutz

Back