Low-cost emerging market SoC/phone discussion

• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
If you ever use GPS, I would run away from any MT65xx except for the new and short-lived MT6595.

MT6592 are being replaced by MT6752 models really fast, so there's not a lot of waiting to be done.

If you ever use GPS, I would run away from any MT65xx except for the new and short-lived MT6595.

MT6592 are being replaced by MT6752 models really fast, so there's not a lot of waiting to be done.

With the only other difference that the few 6752 based phones I've seen all cost over 220+ Euros (granted ZOPO and Meizu are expensive brands...) while the fore mentioned Ulefone comes at exactly half that price. Other than that no I don't really need much GPS; the few times I've used it on the 6589 it's usual problem was signal quality. If you're at the bottom of a huge building surrounded by huge concrete cement blocks good luck getting even close to a connection with those; that's true. :p

As for the 6795 I'm not so sure it has all that much to offer compared to the 6595, except for the marketing 64bit placeholder, A5x cores instead of A17/A7 and a G6230 GPU clocked at 700MHz compared to the 600MHz 6230 in the 6595. Uhmmm big deal o_O

That's because the MT6752 is still quite young so the chinese makers are putting it in their "low-cost flagships", for now.

There are MT6592 phones at a little over 110€ when they're put alongside low-cost components like 720p 5" screens, 3G broadband chips and smallish batteries (2000mAh).
But there are also MT6592 phones costing 220€, like the THL 5000.

Besides, I wonder if the MT6732 phones won't present "real-life" performance very, very similar to MT6592 models at much lower battery consumption.

As for the MT6595 vs. MT6795 yes, I agree. Never stated otherwise.

No idea about the 6732 as the A53 cores are still a mystery to me. Aren't those quite a bit bigger than A7 cores? If yes the likelier scenario is that if its performance difference is by N% higher than with an A7 core, vendors could clock by N% the A53 cores lower; then I could imagine similar performance at lower consumption (careful all speculative for which I'd gladly stand corrected).

Besides, I wonder if the MT6732 phones won't present "real-life" performance very, very similar to MT6592 models at much lower battery consumption.

As for the MT6595 vs. MT6795 yes, I agree. Never stated otherwise.
Depends on the clock really. If we look at the S410 numbers, clock for clock, the CPU performance seems to be ~25% higher for A53 v/s A7. And 6732 has a max clock of 1.5 ghz v/s 2 ghz for the 6592. So yea..the performance should be quite similar. I haven't seen any definitive comparison on battery life yet but I do not think it is significantly better.
No idea about the 6732 as the A53 cores are still a mystery to me. Aren't those quite a bit bigger than A7 cores? If

From what I have read and from Rys's numbers, AFAIK an A53 core is ~80% larger than an A7 core. And see above..performance is about 25% higher. But considering that an A7 core is about 0.5 mm2..I don't think the size increase matters much. Especially since 28nm costs have gone down even further.
If yes the likelier scenario is that if its performance difference is by N% higher than with an A7 core, vendors could clock by N% the A53 cores lower; then I could imagine similar performance at lower consumption (careful all speculative for which I'd gladly stand corrected).

We have seen manufacturers like Xiaomi doing exactly that. The Redmi 1S had A7s at 1.6 ghz but the Redmi 2 has A53s at 1.2 ghz so performance should be a wash. But 6732 and 6752 have maximum clocks of 1.5 ghz and 2.0 ghz so we should see some devices with higher performance. Not completely sure about power though..the process is still the same so I dont expect significant gains.

Allwinner A64:the Most Cost-Efficient 64-bit Tablet Processor! Priced at $5

AllWinner launched a new 64 bit tablet chip. And I thought their $4 quad core A7 chip was cheap... They've listed the following specs:-
  • 64-bit Cortex-A53 architecture (Quad core)
  • Supports H.265/H.264 video decoding in hardware, and supports HDMI 4K display
  • Supports various DDR memory types, making the BOM cost more competitive
  • Supports eMMC 5.0 for better IO performance and enhanced data throughput capacity
Nothing about the GPU but considering the cost..I wouldn't be surprised if its another Mali 450 implementation. I'm sure we're gonna see a whole bunch of low cost tablets based on this.

Source - Allwinner

6795 getting some design wins according to this eetimes article, also 20nm 6796 coming 4th quarter.

The next catalyst for MediaTek’s sales growth will come during February and March with design wins based on the company’s new LTE products, with the higher-end MT6795 designed into smartphones from 20 Chinese brands as well as HTC and Sony, according to Abrams. Mediatek will also have refresh models supporting LTE and introduce a new premium chip, the MT6796 fabricated on 20nm design rules in the fourth quarter of this year, he said.

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1325795&

The single-core score of only 886 points in geekbench "says" that the MT6795 really has only 8 A53 cores @ 2GHz and not the rumored 4x A57 + 4x A53 setup, or?

http://www.gizchina.com/2015/02/25/geekbench-shows-off-what-the-mediatek-mt6795-is-made-of/

IMHO disappointing

Why would you think that Geekbench is able to read out anything accurately? I get roughly a 800 single core in Geekbench 3.0 for A15@1.8GHz; considering my multicore score is barely at 2.5k, I find it hard to believe that you could get 4.5k on a 8*A53 config.

For the record Geekbench reports here "ARM sun9i @ 1.2GHz 1 Processor, 8 cores" and I can assure you that it's a big.LITTLE config. ;)

Last edited:
I think it is pretty clear that they are using 8 A53 cores. Their octa A53 @1'7GHz scores very similar results.

Take in mind that they are using 28nm node and you should clock cortex A57 at 1'3GHz to get around 800 in Geekbench. There is no point in making a big.LITTLE confg with the little clocked at 2GHz.

LOL if it ends up being an A53 octacore as it was my initial understanding after the 6795 announcement. I changed my mind after accepting the reasoning that the 6753 with an octacore would be a questionable update to its 6595 predecessor......

The MT6795 is the direct successor of the MT6595:
3yZyKBb.jpg

I'd find it really hard to believe that their top-end solution would go from a Cortex A17 to a Cortex A53. Even less with the MT6752 having the same 8 Cortex A53 cores.
Furthermore, Mediatek's MT6795 announcement page mentions CorePilot as a feature, which is Mediatek's IP for HMP SoCs.
If the MT6795 had 8 similar cores, it wouldn't need CorePilot (MT6752 doesn't have it)

6795 could be a different octacore implementation, but wait that roadmap states "easy modification from MT6595"...I'm confused o_O

It will be a little disappointing if the MT6795 isn't a considerable step up from the MT6595 as their (often slightly confusing) nomenclature indicates!

However, we've not seen many design wins for the MT6595 so perhaps it is better from a business perspective for MediaTek to produce the MT6795 as a mid-range octa-A53? I'd have thought that it should provide a reasonable improvement in performance over the MT6752 as it has a faster higher clocks, a faster (though still a little underwhelming) GPU and more than twice the bandwidth? The die size of an octa-A53 would be a good deal smaller than a big.LITTLE A57/A53 combo so perhaps MediaTek just aren't even attempting to compete near the higher end of the market?

Back