Apple post biggest profits ever.

Pretty effin nuts, really. Not sure there could possibly be any other words to describe it... ;)

I would think the very existence of these monster profits prove your comment wrong, heh. A casual observer would rather conclude that Apple is better at providing that which people want better than anyone else right now.

I would think the very existence of these monster profits prove your comment wrong, heh. A casual observer would rather conclude that Apple is better at providing that which people want better than anyone else right now.

Or, more likely, they are just better than anyone else at convincing someone that their product is the one that person wants.

I have a cousin that is a graphics artist that graduated from university just 3 years ago. Coming out of college she was convinced (due to Apple adverts, Apple store employees, her college professor, and people that use Apple products) that Apple was far superior to Wintel machines for graphics design and publishing. With such grandiose claims that Apple products control 90%+ of the graphics design and publishing business. That if she were to use a Wintel machine, the majority of print houses would not offer their services to her. Etc.

She invested thousands of dollars into Apple machines and professional design software.

The she actually got into the job market and landed in a nice design house. The only Apple product she still uses is the iPad she had while she was in college.

Apple is very very good at convincing people that their product is the best. So good that the people they convince often spread the gospel of Apple. Not to say that Apple products aren't good. They are. They just aren't nearly as good as Apple would like people to think they are. That's also not to say that everyone who uses an Apple product is a mindless sheep.

Regards,
SB

Their main problem is that they are not investing that absurdly humongous pile of cash, which means it's losing value every second.

They must find a way to start investing that cash and make it work, even though to be honest they seem to be doing pretty well anyway.

Damn, I guess the sheeple mass keeps growing larger and larger. Or they keep buying more expensive products.

Damn, I guess the sheeple mass keeps growing larger and larger. Or they keep buying more expensive products.

Still smaller than android by a lot especially if looking at global numbers. It was a good year for apple they gave people what they wanted which is somewhat rare but more common since Tim Cook has captained the ship.

Or, more likely, they are just better than anyone else at convincing someone that their product is the one that person wants.

I have a cousin that is a graphics artist that graduated from university just 3 years ago. Coming out of college she was convinced (due to Apple adverts, Apple store employees, her college professor, and people that use Apple products) that Apple was far superior to Wintel machines for graphics design and publishing. With such grandiose claims that Apple products control 90%+ of the graphics design and publishing business. That if she were to use a Wintel machine, the majority of print houses would not offer their services to her. Etc.

She invested thousands of dollars into Apple machines and professional design software.

The she actually got into the job market and landed in a nice design house. The only Apple product she still uses is the iPad she had while she was in college.

Apple is very very good at convincing people that their product is the best. So good that the people they convince often spread the gospel of Apple. Not to say that Apple products aren't good. They are. They just aren't nearly as good as Apple would like people to think they are. That's also not to say that everyone who uses an Apple product is a mindless sheep.

Regards,
SB

For some products maybe. We are moving to a work lifestyle where people want to use their preferred tools for the job, if price wasn't a factor I'd imagine I'd see a lot more Apple in more workplaces. There are of course some areas where Apple hardware has generally less presence, and often that has to do with any type of work that requires heavy GPU work. Not saying that Apple can't do it, but the price points between a Mac Pro and your consumer based cards make the choice easy to stick with Wintel, and there is particular software that still has yet to make its way to OSX.

As for mobile devices, and where Apple is obtaining a majority of their profits. It's not difficult to see why they do so well there. Since the inception of their company they have very much been designing software for closed box hardware. And that experience has built up for a long time. In a mobile world closed box makes the most sense, you're aiming for maximum performance in a device that has so many physical limitations, all of which these limitations do not exist in the desktop space.

Apple succeeds well here because this is their fundamental business. Their modern offerings are good, and have a very specific feel of quality to them, from the hardware to OS to customer service.

I've been an advocate of Apple products since 2006, but winds are shifting lately, MS has come back in a big way at least in my eyes. If I was only allowed 1 portable PC (including tablet) + 1 phone and I could never switch back and forth, I would have a tough time choosing between Windows and Mac from a professional standpoint.

Apple makes great stuff for a really large market. That leads to profits.

More companies should take note.

Damn, I guess the sheeple mass keeps growing larger and larger.
Damn, I wish people would stop calling Apple customers "sheeple", it's just dumb and narrowminded. There's no reason to believe the average Apple buyer is any less informed about their purchase decisions than anyone else. Perhaps you were being facetious, but it's still a ridiculous label to slap on millions of people, lots of them being really rather fucking awesome.

They're still really good products. Not always the best value, but often still the best. How often can you buy a non-ad version of a game or app on Android vs on Apple, for instance?

Their main problem is that they are not investing that absurdly humongous pile of cash, which means it's losing value every second.

They must find a way to start investing that cash and make it work, even though to be honest they seem to be doing pretty well anyway.
When entering an economic realm so rarified that whole countries become rounding errors, it becomes a problem of running out of (rational) things to spend it on.
Apple would also be aware that so much of its success is dependent on intangible brand cachet, so recognizing that today's windfall is due to catching lightning in a bottle could involve having more cushion should the whims of the market shift.

On top of that, a lot of corporations are building up reserves and are lobbying for changes in tax rates or a tax holiday for repatriation of funds in the US. It would take a very long time for historically low inflation to exceed the delayed payday for stockholders and executives if they can nudge Congress to make routing those hundreds of billions of dollars into the US, then back out to whatever Cayman Island or Swiss accounts for investors tax-free.

could also be their abuse of their iTunes monopoly still has people locked into eco system. I know people who have hundreds of dollars of music on iTunes and hudnreds of app purchases on ios . So there is little reason for them to move on dispite it taking 4 years for them to introduce a phablet .

I had a friend who made fun of me when I got my note 1 and then my note 2 and 3 saying they keep getting bigger but he was first in line for the 6+ and now we laugh at him because we all remember the conversation, we even hold our thumbs up and ask if the phone is perfect for our thumbs.

Apple is doing a good job of getting the average price of its hardware down while keeping its average selling price high. That is why they phased out the premium build quality now when the phones drop down to the $100 mark.

could also be their abuse of their iTunes monopoly still has people locked into eco system. I know people who have hundreds of dollars of music on iTunes and hudnreds of app purchases on ios . So there is little reason for them to move on dispite it taking 4 years for them to introduce a phablet .

I had a friend who made fun of me when I got my note 1 and then my note 2 and 3 saying they keep getting bigger but he was first in line for the 6+ and now we laugh at him because we all remember the conversation, we even hold our thumbs up and ask if the phone is perfect for our thumbs.

Apple is doing a good job of getting the average price of its hardware down while keeping its average selling price high. That is why they phased out the premium build quality now when the phones drop down to the $100 mark.
You will find that the infinitely vastest majority of Apple users don't feel subjugated and prisoner of Apple's 'abuse' and monopoly of iTunes, and are, in fact, pretty happy with their ecosystem. Which is why they don't want to change. And a lot of those that have tried to change, went back straight away.

I hardly even use iTunes and I'm definitely one of those 'clueless' Apple users.

Back