Graphical effects that should be standard by now but aren't

Regardless of whether muzzleflashes are exaggerated in games or not, the point is that if you have an intense source of light with a sizable radius, it should cast shadows, otherwise it looks wrong.
That's true. If the lightsource is being added, the shadow should be.

Human eyes have lenses so for a fully realistic rendering you do need lens flares.
'Lens flare' is used to mean the artificial artefacts, shapes, dots and circles in various colours, in lenses, caused by the lens structures and materials (internal reflection, etc). In eyes and simple lenses, 'flare' is glare.

hmm, most of the time when i see lens flare, its gone when i remove my glasses.
Look at a car's headlights at night.

'Lens flare' is used to mean the artificial artefacts, shapes, dots and circles in various colours, in lenses, caused by the lens structures and materials (internal reflection, etc). In eyes and simple lenses, 'flare' is glare.
From what I've seen the terms lens flare and glare are used interchangeably.

not hollywood, just a normal gun on a shooting range
gun1.png

gun2.png

And here's an M16 firing full auto in typical lighting conditions. I don't see any giant fireballs coming from it.

And an Uzi firing in typical lighting conditions. I don't see any giant fireballs coming from it.

So they exist but are so quick that they shouldn't be standard in games.

And here's an M16 firing full auto in typical lighting conditions. I don't see any giant fireballs coming from it.

And an Uzi firing in typical lighting conditions. I don't see any giant fireballs coming from it.

I watched the whole blondie clip. God something is wrong with me... I must be tired or something. Back to gradient descents

Prerendered 2d background for most birdseye and isometric games. Why Diablo 3 bars itself from the majority of PC users with integrated gpus I dont know.

Check out Heroes of might and magic Online, game is much prettier than Diabo3 could ever which to be thanks to prerendered environments.

There's a whole thread on mandatory 60 fps - let's not bring that one into here.

As for lens flare, surely it depends on the game? For example, in any first-person game where the POV is the player's own eyes, it makes little sense.

I think Sigfried1977 is right and very, very few effects should be mandatory.
Well, lens flare can be created in between your eyelashes, it's not just an artificial effect, that's why it would be a good idea to have it on FPSs, which btw, don't represent the human vision, people blink...

Talking of which, yesterday I saw god rays in real life. I was coming home via train and it was very early in the morning, and foggy. The fog was very thick and the sun was rising, there were like 20 rays of god rays coming out of the fog by the left side of the train. It was amazing.

Talking of which, yesterday I saw god rays in real life. I was coming home via train and it was very early in the morning, and foggy. The fog was very thick and the sun was rising, there were like 20 rays of god rays coming out of the fog by the left side of the train. It was amazing.
Yeah, god rays are very much a real thing, although anything looking like screen-space god rays should only show up if you're squinting or have a damaged eye.

Yeah, god rays are very much a real thing, although anything looking like screen-space god rays should only show up if you're squinting or have a damaged eye.
Why is that so? I mean, what difference does make a screen for that effect having to be achieved simulating a squinting or damaged eye?

The god rays I've seen yesterday were quite similar to the ones below..although the angle was much much lower, almost ground level, like 25º-30º because the sun was raising, it was 9AM -winter in these latitudes belonging to the northern hemisphere- and the fog was low, ground level, covering the buildings, and the god rays were coming through.

1*3olKe9mZU1k0IEepEUzClg.jpeg

786abfa41f42913476550c4e410347c7.jpg

Back