AMD Mantle API [updating]

Yes, the load times increase on all GPUs.

The loading screen seems to have some weird interaction with the frame rate, so I'm not sure it's a Mantle problem.
Well the problem goes away when using DX11 on the same exact system, so it sure does look like a Mantle problem from here.

Mantle doing a lot of intensive shader compiling for that API on load?

I just ran some test with loading between Skyhold and The Emerald Grave, going both directions.

DX: 20 seconds with, or without vsync
Mantle: 20 seconds without vsync, 28 with it.

Based on reports I've read it only seems to effect some people. Maybe vsync is the reason.

Based on reports I've read it only seems to effect some people. Maybe vsync is the reason.

It looks like vSync is somehow broken in Mantle! I tried playing BF4 Mantle edition with vSync but it was just stuttery hell and for that reason I went back to DX11 where 60FPS is more or less solid all the time and my card doesn't consume 280W like in Mantle vSync OFF scenario. The thing is without vSync Mantle is faster and has no stutter or weird slowdowns on my computer.
On the other hand I've just started playing Theft using Mantle and there are no such problems with vSync, but this game is using different engine so I blame Frostbyte :p

VSync works like a charm in my build both in BF4 and Inquisition, which I've been playing almost everyday for the past 2 weeks.

Decided to compare frame rates between Mantle, and DX. This was ran on a 4770K CPU, and a 290X. These are just random save files in different locations.

Mantle/DX % Diff
Skyhold 57/42 35
Emerald Graves 44/32 37
Val Royeaux 72/64 12
Hissing waste 64/55 18
Exalted plains 56/48 16
Forbidden oasis 64/56 14

All settings at max including MSAA at 1080.

The Crew's GPU requirements are relatively light for a great experience. However, similar to Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare we found that performance on AMD cards (we tested the R9 270X and R9 280) was considerably impacted in city areas when paired with a Core i3 CPU, whereas the Nvidia GTX 760 - which sits in the middle of the two AMD cards generally - worked just fine on the dual core processor. Once again it seems that AMD requires a better CPU to get the most out of the graphics card. Switching to a Core i5 saw the frame-rate drops we saw all but disappear.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-the-crew-face-off

It looks like vSync is somehow broken in Mantle! I tried playing BF4 Mantle edition with vSync but it was just stuttery hell and for that reason I went back to DX11 where 60FPS is more or less solid all the time and my card doesn't consume 280W like in Mantle vSync OFF scenario. The thing is without vSync Mantle is faster and has no stutter or weird slowdowns on my computer.
On the other hand I've just started playing Theft using Mantle and there are no such problems with vSync, but this game is using different engine so I blame Frostbyte :p

Dont have this problem, in addition Mantle with Frostbyte engine have framepacing directly build in the API for CFX, who is working really well ( you can enable, disable or choose between the 2 levels directly by command in the game ). This said, maybe need more information on your system as monitor resolution and base hz ( are you using a 144hz monitor ? ) could be specific to it.

@DavidGraham,

This is the third Ubisoft games and like Advanced warfare too, a gamework one who show this, i start to ask me if it dont bring more overhead on the driver with AMD GPU's just because of how they are optimized on AMD GPU's. ( and who consist of not be optimized at all for UBIsoft games now ) Or just because they have been extensively optimized for Nvidia gpu's who will not show this beahviour).

This should be really quickly fixed on some driver by AMD then . .

( Even if the gamework features are lightly used anyway. )

Last edited:
Dont have this problem, in addition Mantle with Frostbyte engine have framepacing directly build in the API for CFX, who is working really well ( you can enable, disable or choose between the 2 levels directly by command in the game ). This said, maybe need more information on your system as monitor resolution and base hz ( are you using a 144hz monitor ? ) could be specific to it.

It was an issue for me on my HD7970 and then R9 290X using both i5 2500k and i7 4770k. I played in 1920x1200 without AA but everything else maxed. Last time I checked was on 14.3 driver and W7 x64 few months ago. I wasn't really looking for solution to that problem as I could as easily play in DX mode, but have to admit my W7 install is old, very old. It remembers HD6970 ;)

When I get a chance I will try Mantle on new Cat 14.11.2 driver and current build of BF4, maybe even load W8.1 from my secondary boot partition (but that will need installing BF4 first to work).

It was an issue for me on my HD7970 and then R9 290X using both i5 2500k and i7 4770k. I played in 1920x1200 without AA but everything else maxed. Last time I checked was on 14.3 driver and W7 x64 few months ago. I wasn't really looking for solution to that problem as I could as easily play in DX mode, but have to admit my W7 install is old, very old. It remembers HD6970 ;)

When I get a chance I will try Mantle on new Cat 14.11.2 driver and current build of BF4, maybe even load W8.1 from my secondary boot partition (but that will need installing BF4 first to work).

Something i need to do too, install Win 8.1 for extend test.. need to clean one of my backup HDD.

Last edited:
Here it comes!

Today I only have time for old W7 x64, but other games work fine and as I said Theft Mantle has no problems at all with vSync ON.

First part is with vSync On and second part OFF

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm gaming on 2560x1440 monitor but for the sake of ruling out GPU performance issues I lowered BF4 res. to 1920x1080. As you can see without vSync Mantle works great but for some reason it becomes unplayable on my system as soon as vSync is turned ON

Last edited:
Here it comes!

Today I only have time for old W7 x64, but other games work fine and as I said Theft Mantle has no problems at all with vSync ON.

First part is with vSync On and second part OFF

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm gaming on 2560x1440 monitor but for the sake of ruling out GPU performance issues I lowered BF4 res. to 1920x1080. As you can see without vSync Mantle works great but for some reason it becomes unplayable on my system as soon as vSync is turned ON

Thanks for have take the time to do this video... Have you try limit the fps simply ? and can i ask you how is set v-sync in the driver, anyway you should report it to AMD.. ( or Dice, look more like a game problem for me ).

Effectively something look really wrong.

Thanks for have take the time to do this video... Have you try limit the fps simply ? and can i ask you how is set v-sync in the driver, anyway you should report it to AMD.. ( or Dice, look more like a game problem for me )

When I limit FPS in game then it stutters too, or though the higher max. FPS the less stutter I get, eg. 90FPS is already great, but 80FPS is still not :(

Before I report it, first I want to try W8.1 and then maybe Omega drivers.

EDIT:

Windows 8.1 fresh install with no AV software and no other crap.
Cat. 14.11.2 beta and still same issue exist!

Time to call AMD and/or Repi [Dice]

Last edited:
According to pclab, It seems NV still continues to lead the pack when it comes to DX11 performance, AC:U and COD:AW still shows big leads for them in CPU performance compared to AMD, COD:AW shows a whooping 97% lead for NV when the CPU is the bottleneck!
http://pclab.pl/art57717-6.html

However, in BF4 and Civ: Beyond Earth, AMD DX11's performance is downright pathetic! for example in Civ, NV provides 84% more performance than AMD! And in BF4 it's 54% more!
http://pclab.pl/art57717-8.html
http://pclab.pl/art57717-5.html

Tests done using the Omega release.

According to pclab, It seems NV still continues to lead the pack when it comes to DX11 performance, AC:U and COD:AW still shows big leads for them in CPU performance compared to AMD, COD:AW shows a whooping 97% lead for NV when the CPU is the bottleneck!
http://pclab.pl/art57717-6.html

However, in BF4 and Civ: Beyond Earth, AMD DX11's performance is downright pathetic! for example in Civ, NV provides 84% more performance than AMD! And in BF4 it's 54% more!
http://pclab.pl/art57717-8.html
http://pclab.pl/art57717-5.html

Tests done using the Omega release.

The former are TWIMTBP titles where you'd expect NVIDIA to lead, the latter are Mantle titles, where AMD's D3D11 performance isn't particularly relevant.

Back