Anandtech acquired by Purch (owner of Tom's Hardware)

So that's why DailyTech news disappeared from AT website ...
I was just wondering about that earlier today.

UGH regarding these news though! Don't think I'd trust the reviews on a site whose new owner states right in their pressrelease that their goal is to sell shit to me any farther than I can throw them. Wish Anand hadn't sold out, or at least picked a different buyer. Tom's is hardly authorative these days and hasn't been for ages. Shit, they even had these crappy in-line ad-words still, last I was forced to visit there some months ago.

Well, that might explain why it has been a bit slow lately at AnandTech (other than Anand leaving).

People have been waiting on the review of the iMac 5K for weeks on end.

People have been waiting on the review of the iMac 5K for weeks on end.
That's entirely me. Plans slip a bit, but what has really dragged things out is a very nasty case of the flu that's kept me out of commission for most of December. I have quite the backlog right now, but you will see it in time.:)

Wish Anand hadn't sold out
Respectfully, it's "sold", not "sold out". Our staff isn't changing and our editorial policy isn't changing; we have not had to sacrifice anything for this. The goal is to deliver the same quality and content as before (because none of the inputs are changing), and eventually deliver even more.

My wishlist for Anandtech 2015:
- Stay the same for everything Anandtech-related, except for:
- Start benchmarking Mantle with low/mid end CPUs
- Get rid of Dailytech association

Seriously, Dailytech is terrible. Lots of clickbait articles with very little fact-checking and poor knowledge over what they write about.
It's the complete opposite of Anandtech.

That's entirely me. Plans slip a bit, but what has really dragged things out is a very nasty case of the flu that's kept me out of commission for most of December. I have quite the backlog right now, but you will see it in time.:)

Hopefully you have recovered fully or will have a speedy recovery :) Nothing worse than being sick!

Really interested in that TCON and whether or not it really is a "hacked" 2 x DP1.2 solution to drive that amazing 5K display. Anyway, can't wait to read about it in your usual thorough and meticulously style.

IMHO AT was already on the way down after Anand left..I've hardly read any articles on there in the last few months.
Um. There were a lot of great articles. If you apply a "filter", IMHO Anandtech is the best site there is.

The problem is that all of the writers should be at least aspire to be great – and that Anandtech should be evaluating their writers' performance even after they've been working for some time and have been invested in. Some of the new writers are great, some... not so much. Yes, give them the benefit of the doubt, but if they don't improve over a long time, then...
Anandtech is very valuable for their, um, "scientific method", but some of the new writers are not good at this... and haven't grown for more than a year.

Respectfully, it's "sold", not "sold out". Our staff isn't changing and our editorial policy isn't changing
Respectfully, my choice of words was due to Purch's overt focus in their PR on selling things to me. I've always had a lot of respect for Anandtech's reviews, and by extension, staff. Can't really say the same for this new owner, though:

Emphasis mine:
Leading content and commerce company adds respected mobile, computing, and IT reviews site to its brand portfolio

Purch’s industry-leading combination of high-quality content and integrated commerce experiences makes complex buying decisions easy

Purch furthers its mission to simplify purchase decisions for in-market tech consumers
...And that's just from the first paragraph.

Technology manufacturers, too, can be assured that their messages will reach any serious buyer."
Ugh! Words I don't ever want to hear from the CEO of the owner of a tech reviews site.

strategic acquisitions and partnerships aimed at furthering its mission to ease complex buying decisions for shoppers and deliver branding and performance results to advertisers.

Purch’s ability to trigger buying decisions in an array of product categories
Vidal Sassoon Review&Sell, two bottles in one! :p

Emphasis NOT mine:
Each year, Purch’s content-commerce combination drives more than one billion dollars in commerce transactions.

In the past, I've never felt that any Anandtech review was trying to foist any of the wares being reviewed on me, but reading the PR I get the impression that's the ultimate goal of Purch. They're playing both ends against each other, the hopefully, supposedly, neutral reviews site in one hand, and billion-dollar sales revenues in the other, and I for one don't think that's a good combination. There's too big a risk for cross-pollination, so to speak.

I'm sorry, but I'll have to be more cautious reading Anandtech from now on. Having a corporation with vested commercial interests and stated goals of increased sales as a result of buying the site as an owner rather than the original founder... It doesn't inspire confidence in me.

It's pretty clear that if you want to maintain fierce independence from the commercial side of your business, and still do in-depth technology analysis, you're going to really really struggle. The 800lb gorillas in the space don't make it easier for the smaller outfits to do a good job and stay profitable and able to carry on, especially in today's age of cookie cutter reviews and parroting the vendor's messages. I gave up trying to make a living at Beyond3D precisely for that reason. To do what I thought was great work and needed for the audience I was writing for just isn't compatible with making money in the traditional ways with ads. You're frequently 'late' with content and while your audience is fantastically enthusiastic about the content, there's not enough of those people to keep an ad-driven business going.

I didn't know how to do any better, and had bills to pay, so I 'quit'.

I've seen how it works from both sides of the fence now, here at B3D, before that at Hexus, and now at an IHV with PowerVR who wants to work with sites like Anandtech. It's brutal, and in many ways I completely understand why a large money-focused entity is the best place to get a stable income from which to do your work, as the publisher.

Rock and a hard place for the independent publishers trying to do a great job and not sell out the editorial independence. I fear for their longevity, which is terribly sad.

Online media has also changed a lot in the last few years. I often wish I could get back into the business, but I have even less of a clue how to make money with it than I did when I quit.

In my opinion, if you really love a website and its content, honestly, just ask them how you can give them money to survive. If they have that option already, give them as much as you can afford. Otherwise all that'll be left is big sites run by corporations where you can't trust the independence.

In my opinion, if you really love a website and its content, honestly, just ask them how you can give them money to survive. If they have that option already, give them as much as you can afford. Otherwise all that'll be left is big sites run by corporations where you can't trust the independence.

Some websites have donations banners with goals to fullfil, thinking of boardgamegeek for exemple, it might be worth giving that idea a try for B3D...
That said, IHV are more and more open about their hardware too, it's just the marketing/benchmark bullshit that still rolls on and on...

Online media has also changed a lot in the last few years. I often wish I could get back into the business, but I have even less of a clue how to make money with it than I did when I quit.

In my opinion, if you really love a website and its content, honestly, just ask them how you can give them money to survive.

...make posts readable in Youtube, if you reach 200-400k follwers you might make a living out of it...

On a serious side, my previous company did shut down its historical forum due to stalkers (and leechers killing our bw), and in these days another historical forum is (almost) closing as the owner cant fund it with 80$/month any more since he lost his job...

...keeping good stuff on internet is hard.

Tom's is hardly authorative these days and hasn't been for ages.
To give some props to Tom's of today, they do have the most comprehensive equipment and test methods for power consumption tests out there nowadays

It's pretty clear that if you want to maintain fierce independence from the commercial side of your business, and still do in-depth technology analysis, you're going to really really struggle.
Question is though, did AT really struggle, or did Anand simply sell because of his new job at Apple? Are you privy to inside information?

As for 800lbs gorillas, Anand has been one of them for ages. Not sure which other tech site could have been squeezing them with its incredible gorilla-ness...

To give some props to Tom's of today, they do have the most comprehensive equipment and test methods for power consumption tests out there nowadays
More comprehensive than Techpowerup? How? :)

TPu is one of the very few measuring graphics card power at the slot as well as any auxiliary connectors. Not sure how you can get more comprehensive than that.

Question is though, did AT really struggle, or did Anand simply sell because of his new job at Apple? Are you privy to inside information?

As for 800lbs gorillas, Anand has been one of them for ages. Not sure which other tech site could have been squeezing them with its incredible gorilla-ness
I don't know anything about the AT setup. 15 years in the business and this week was the first I heard that another company was involved at any point.

As for the gorilla part, that's what I mean. I think AT is indirectly putting smaller publishers out of business, as the model for making money on independent publishing on the Internet changes. They'll survive (and just did) by being huge, but that lessens the chances that a smaller site will live as a result. There's now less money in the industry to be spent on relevant publishers, and a huge chunk of it (presumably) just went to one place.

I used to work for a tech site for couple of years. There's a way to make monies, you just have to compartmentalize. You need small bites, crap content for the masses which pays the bills and funds awesome content for the few. This is sad (and not that simple to pull off, actually) but it works. Most of the people visiting your site will have attention span of a cat and hope for some jolt news they can consume in 3-5 minutes. But this ADHD generates ad impressions and ultimately brings additional revenue in a form of promotional deals, contests, games and what not with big tech companies.

As for the gorilla part, that's what I mean. I think AT is indirectly putting smaller publishers out of business
Ah, I see. Yes, I understand your concerns, at least for the english market. "International" (hah! :)) regions often have their own major news and reviews sites that cater to a more local demographic, so the size, and/or buyer of AT shouldn't matter much, if any, for them.

Ah, yes, their digital oscilloscope thing. I forgot all about that.

I can't say I really see the point in that though, the instantaneous power curve is literally of no interest whatsoever to me as an end user. It's just gimmicky, basically superflous information. Can my PSU drive the graphics card? Yes. Okay, fine.

On a more general scale, wattage (power integrated over time) is a sufficient indicator of power draw when I wish to buy a more frugal card. Microsecond precision is of no additional help there.

Last edited:
I'm never against more data, so this high resolution power measurements are a good thing IMO.
But they should be interpreted well: if you see short spikes about a certain level, that doesn't mean that the GPU in general is running out of its budget. I think most people understand that, but definitely not all...

Back