Could Sony's Cross-Play technology be the reason for the Street Fighter 5 PS4/PC deal?

onQ

Veteran
Maybe Sony wanted to try their Cross-Play tech out between PS4 & PC. Guilty Gear Xrd Sign is Cross-Play between PS4 & PS3 maybe Sony thought SFV would be a good game to display PS4/PC Cross-Play.

Also could this be a sign of things to come?

It's not like it requires any special technology to do this. Microsoft and Sony have just kept this locked down for the most part. I can definitely see cross-platform play being a big desirable for Capcom. It'll help them expand Street Fighter onto the PC-side of the business. Microsoft does not seem to want to allow cross-platform play at all, so it could have been one of the factors. My guess, is the business arrangement is probably a lot more significant than that, and it was just one of many factors. My guess is they negotiated with both Microsoft and Sony, and Sony came up with he better overall deal. These kinds of things never get disclosed. I'm sure they'll highlight a few reasons they decided on the arrangement, but for the most part the details will never be released, and any negotiations with Microsoft would be NDAd entirely.

It's not like it requires any special technology to do this. Microsoft and Sony have just kept this locked down for the most part. I can definitely see cross-platform play being a big desirable for Capcom. It'll help them expand Street Fighter onto the PC-side of the business. Microsoft does not seem to want to allow cross-platform play at all, so it could have been one of the factors. My guess, is the business arrangement is probably a lot more significant than that, and it was just one of many factors. My guess is they negotiated with both Microsoft and Sony, and Sony came up with he better overall deal. These kinds of things never get disclosed. I'm sure they'll highlight a few reasons they decided on the arrangement, but for the most part the details will never be released, and any negotiations with Microsoft would be NDAd entirely.
Maybe Sony has a framework in place that make Cross-Play easier to deal with since they are already using it for PS4/PS3/PSV. They actually said Sony is helping with the development so I wonder what they are helping with.

Cross-play only requires PSN access for PC. I can see Sony wanting this to help extend into software sales. PSN on PC would be a rival to XBLive on PC, and Sony could then go selling PC content via PSN. /wild theory.

I think for Sony it makes it attractive for PC titles to come to PS4. PC developers can view the PS4 version as an extension of their PC product, vs having to cultivate a new community on that platform.

Cross-play only requires PSN access for PC. I can see Sony wanting this to help extend into software sales. PSN on PC would be a rival to XBLive on PC, and Sony could then go selling PC content via PSN. /wild theory.

Is it really that simple? I'm sure this would cause lots of new bugs that the devs would have to work on from both the PC & console side. But if this deal is about Cross-Play it wouldn't be the 1st because War Thunder devs also said that the game wasn't on the Xbox One because they wanted cross platform play.

Network code is all about data being sent to/from clients/host. If you have a suitable protocol, there's no reason for bugs to appear by the client changing. This is somewhat illustrated by browser-based games, that work regardless of the hardware. And these have the added difficulty in the browser being an abstraction and possibly introducing browser-based bugs. When you write the client yourself and it's a closed entity, you're dealing with a black-box as far as the data is concerned. There may be some design issues with PCs running at different framerates, but netcode needs to cope with variable package time anyway so I reckon that's extremely unlikely.

I don't foresee any issues implementing a PSN network protocol on PC. It's also worth nothing that Sony Computer Entertainment America has added an Audio bundle on the Unity Asset Store, creating a Sony Asset publisher. I can well imagine a PSN Asset option. For $50 or whatever, enable PSN access for your online Unity game.

Network code is all about data being sent to/from clients/host. If you have a suitable protocol, there's no reason for bugs to appear by the client changing. This is somewhat illustrated by browser-based games, that work regardless of the hardware. And these have the added difficulty in the browser being an abstraction and possibly introducing browser-based bugs. When you write the client yourself and it's a closed entity, you're dealing with a black-box as far as the data is concerned. There may be some design issues with PCs running at different framerates, but netcode needs to cope with variable package time anyway so I reckon that's extremely unlikely.

I don't foresee any issues implementing a PSN network protocol on PC. It's also worth nothing that Sony Computer Entertainment America has added an Audio bundle on the Unity Asset Store, creating a Sony Asset publisher. I can well imagine a PSN Asset option. For $50 or whatever, enable PSN access for your online Unity game.

But these browser games are still running in the same environment no matter what hardware it's on.

But these browser games are still running in the same environment no matter what hardware it's on.

Are you truly thinking the Chrome browser for Android runs exactly the same code as IE browser for Windows? :eek:

Is it really that simple?

More than likely, yes it is.

I'm pretty sure SCE has learned a trick or two, from SOE (Sony Online Entertainment). Sony internal departments and subsidiaries, should have network(s) in place on testing these things out... especially if PC/Console cross-play is what they're aiming for.

Anyhow, the SFV deal is more likely to do with development financial support (footing some of the cost), thus giving Sony exclusive rights towards/for the PS4... while Capcom can still capitalize on the PC for added revenue. Cross-play is just a bonus, rather than SONY just wanting it.

Last edited:
Cross-platform play should be relatively trivial. It really should be that easy. The only reason it doesn't happen is because Xbox Live and PSN are closed systems, so you can't just decided to advertise user client information for matchmaking against PCs. You would need special privileges from Microsoft or Sony to do that.

I wonder if they'll force PC users to create PSN Ids to play online. The more difficult thing would be services like plugging into PSN voice chat, friends lists and reporting users for abusive behaviour, cheating/unfair play etc. Making the game operate through a PSN client on the PC might fix that.

Cross-platform play should be relatively trivial. It really should be that easy. The only reason it doesn't happen is because Xbox Live and PSN are closed systems, so you can't just decided to advertise user client information for matchmaking against PCs. You would need special privileges from Microsoft or Sony to do that.

I wonder if they'll force PC users to create PSN Ids to play online. The more difficult thing would be services like plugging into PSN voice chat, friends lists and reporting users for abusive behaviour, cheating/unfair play etc. Making the game operate through a PSN client on the PC might fix that.

Did they force PC users to create PSN IDs for War Thunder & Final Fantasy 14?

It isn't like MS is not open to cross platform play. See Shadowrun. Plus, recently they said this earlier this year regard War Thunder's concerns...

"For developers interested in enabling cross-platform game play between Xbox One and PC, we work with them closely to meet their development needs and ensure a great user experience."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/mi...tform-play-says-war-thunder-dev/1100-6418587/

Personally I don't think there was one reason. Phil's latest tweets make me think they were probably included in the deal, but I suspect it was too rich & they rather spend the money on their 1st-party game Killer Instinct...

hqjb.jpg

Tommy McClain

Did they force PC users to create PSN IDs for War Thunder & Final Fantasy 14?

I'm assuming that's hypothetical and they did not. I'm legitimately asking the question if they'll do that, because it'll be a good way to tie in PSN services and make it easy to deliver them.

I'm assuming that's hypothetical and they did not. I'm legitimately asking the question if they'll do that, because it'll be a good way to tie in PSN services and make it easy to deliver them.

I'm actually asking if that was the case for those games.
It isn't like MS is not open to cross platform play. See Shadowrun. Plus, recently they said this earlier this year regard War Thunder's concerns...

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/mi...tform-play-says-war-thunder-dev/1100-6418587/

Personally I don't think there was one reason. Phil's latest tweets make me think they were probably included in the deal, but I suspect it was too rich & they rather spend the money on their 1st-party game Killer Instinct...

hqjb.jpg

Tommy McClain

Both War Thunder & FF14 devs said that the games wasn't on Xbox One because they wanted Cross Play. MS say they will work with devs but from the look of things something isn't working out & we have 2 games that are not on the Xbox One because of this & now it's looking like SF5 might be the 3rd.

Side note: I think SF5 might be a free to play game.

Cross play was possible between PC and PS3 for Portal 2. PC users did not need PSN id's, but PlayStation users could connect their accounts to Steam.

Both War Thunder & FF14 devs said that the games wasn't on Xbox One because they wanted Cross Play. MS say they will work with devs but from the look of things something isn't working out & we have 2 games that are not on the Xbox One because of this & now it's looking like SF5 might be the 3rd.

I don't doubt MS has stringent requirements to allow cross play. I think we will eventually we'll see it happen, but I think it will be a special title from a developer willing to abide by MS requirements. More it happens on the other guy's platforms the more it will force MS to support it too.

Tommy McClain

I have a feeling cross-platform will remain something negotiated on an individual basis, and not become a privilege that any developer will have access to.

Back