Nvidia Apollo Demo Released for Maxwell GPUs

Silly though when they lock the demo to only their most recent hardware.

Typical evil nvidia.

Maybe because of this :
Nvidia has added extra hardware within the GM204 Maxwell GPU to accelerate VCT further. The company claims Maxwell is able to speed-up this form of global illumination by a factor of three when compared to an older GeForce GPU, realising real-time VCT for the first time.

Unreal engine 4 (which this demo uses) runs on any current NV (or AMD) GPU though.

Wow completely maxes out my 970 in every way.
Same here.

Man this card is so fast. Also DSR is freaking sweet. I'm using it in pretty much everything. Knocked the blur amount down to 15% which is perfect IMO.

One thing the demo definitely shows is that PCs aren't ready for this in a real world game. So we'll never see it in current-gen consoles and only 4-5 years of GPU advances and DX12.

Maybe VXGI is running at super high quality for the demo or something. Or maybe it can be further (greatly) optimized. Otherwise yeah, I don't see any games making use of it any time soon.

I recall demos like Dawn etc didn't run exactly splendidly even on high-end boards at the time. I don't think these types of vendor-made graphics demos truly are demonstrative of either the hardware itself or in this case, the graphics engine it uses. My impression is they stack graphical effects on top of each other, slapdash-style to artificially pump up the impressiveness of the demo, with little thought to implementation or optimization. Kind of like the original Crysis for example (and arguably Warhead, C2, C3 as well from what I seem to recall reading on the web... :))

Maybe VXGI is running at super high quality for the demo or something. Or maybe it can be further (greatly) optimized. Otherwise yeah, I don't see any games making use of it any time soon.

But then, Tomorrow Children.

Back