Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

Yeah we're kind of a twin star ;) especially these years when both studios are working on the same franchises, Halo, AC, DA and so on. I like to think of it as a friendly competition :)

Here are some images from The Crew PS4 beta

zzQYuN7.jpg

4ECFDd5.jpg

pWtIFHS.jpg

mP5VcbY.jpg

9jplIJN.jpg

I4kxGF2.jpg

probably one of the most compressed screenshots I've seen in a while, especially the last one.
Also it looks quite bad graphically.

probably one of the most compressed screenshots I've seen in a while, especially the last one.
Also it looks quite bad graphically.

They're directly from the PS4's share feature to USB.

I don't think the graphics look bad at all. Obviously not Driveclub levels or anything, but I think they look nice, but yeah I noticed the odd edges in motion sometimes. Not sure what that is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very odd first impression for The Crew (PS4).

I'm struggling to figure out what is going on visually. Resolution wise it feels like either some kind of aggressive dynamic resolution, or post AA is breaking.. It's weird. The game can have a staggering amount of aliasing one moment, then be fairly clean the next.

I have a number of theories for the heavy shader aliasing, my first guess is that their mipmapping is just buggered.
I also get the feeling that they aren't computing their specular quite right, which is leading to some extreme shader aliasing. Might also be a slightly wacky environment cubemap in use (prehaps without good mips, or mip selection).

The completion board in the garage is just a sea of aliasing when it really shouldn't be, unless it wasn't mipping right.
I've seen massive aliasing turning on and off on certain assets too, as if they suddenly didn't have mips or specular was suddenly 10x brighter. Something very wrong.

The DOF is absolutely atrocious though. It isn't sampling uniformly, so (surprise) it aliases quite heavily.

Very odd first impression for The Crew (PS4).

I'm struggling to figure out what is going on visually. Resolution wise it feels like either some kind of aggressive dynamic resolution, or post AA is breaking.. It's weird. The game can have a staggering amount of aliasing one moment, then be fairly clean the next.

Othb.jpg

Sshb.png

Jigsaw pattern? I have already seen that somewhere: FlipQuad component used in HRAA
Tshb.png

I have a number of theories for the heavy shader aliasing, my first guess is that their mipmapping is just buggered.

Here is another theory; FlipQuad could be the culprit.

Ushb.png

During beta testing aren't most IQ features turned off, and texture samples reduced for obvious download reasons? I remembered a developer stating; it forces the beta tester(s) to focus on bug reporting, not sightseeing.

Jigsaw pattern? I have already seen that somewhere: FlipQuad component used in HRAA

Here is another theory; FlipQuad could be the culprit.

What I'm not clear on is if the jigsaw is solely due to non-uniform rasterization or if it can also happen at native res, but with buggered mipmap selection etc (ala Graham's post). Though I think after seeing it in AC4 (see my previous post), maybe they tried to do something similar to flipquad with the temporal component (since that's usually used to give 2xSSAA-like results at rest).

edit:

What's also a bit different in The Crew shots is that the jigsaw goes vertically along edges where most issues in the past are seen on horizontal edges, meaning a mismatch in horizontal res (e.g. 640x720, 800x1080) where each subsample alternates in value on the edges there.

You can sort of see the more horizontal edges on the Crew's cars with the "2xMSAA" shade are just a blurred mess with slight vertical blur. The more vertical edges have the jigsaw instead, which may imply mismatched vertical res. (1920x ____)

During beta testing aren't most IQ features turned off, and texture samples reduced for obvious download reasons? I remembered a developer stating; it forces the beta tester(s) to focus on bug reporting, not sightseeing.

Graphics aren't without bugs either, so I would think enabling as they are meant to be enabled should be part of the bug testing, no?

Texture resolution makes sense to reduce for public beta.

After having read that on gamersyde The Crew videos:
We'll start with the Xbox One version, whose antialiasing technique is much less efficient than on PS4.
I decided to analyse both versions:

First the XB1 only uses some standard FXAA:
C5hb.jpg

When PS4 uses some high quality AA, (analytical? morphological?):
D5hb.jpg

Also I noticed the game always looks supersampled on PS4 and I also briefly noticed some pure temporal AA clues , like if the pixels were suddenly "doubled" on small and thin oblique geometry, similar to the ones witnessed in AC4 on the ropes of the ships.

I didn't notice any supersampling effect on the XB1 game, at least not on those screenshots, but I haven't seen the game in motion.

wddyz73.jpg

We know the beta coming out for release is 720p. But is this image 720p? Pixel Counters?

Details on car's dashboards and pedals, are impressive even in third person mode.

Back