NVIDIA Maxwell Speculation Thread

Not all combinations of bits are valid values, depending on type. That doesn't work for all types though, of course.

Even if you're not playing any tricks like that, you always just take the hit on the pathological cases. It's highly likely that you find some level of compression.

I've seen over 6 (before a patch even over 8) Gigabytes of VRAM used in Watch Dogs - Ultra-HD, Ultra-Textures and 8x MSAA. :)

Watchdog is really not an example, it is so badly optimized it eat memory for,... well nothing.. The next day it was released you have got hundred of non official patches, made by anonoymous developpers who have done a better job in 24h than all the Ubi over paid team.

If i was a an Ubi soft developpers, i will be in shame right now.

This is the Game and mode tweak zone of Guru3D: http://forums.guru3d.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29

It concerne every game, look on the first page, it speak of itself about watchdog.

Last edited by a moderator:
Large amounts of memory are used in high resolution textures. Thus, if you're targeting PS4, you use 6GB of memory so you can have the sharpest textures possible.

Not all combinations of bits are valid values, depending on type. That doesn't work for all types though, of course.
Aren't formats like 24-bits RGB the most common? I assume that for FP32 or FP16, there's some combinations that may be illegal indeed.

I think that 8gb in gtx980 is useless: if you want to game at 4k (where 8gb could be usefull) better wait gm200 (or even more...)

Well its probably useless if you game at 2k or below, but if you have a multi monitor setup and/or a SLI setup (where 2x8GB is still effectively 8 GB), games could use a lot of memory as others have stated. And this isn't even taking into account future games. With the consoles going to 8gb, the memory usage in games is only going to increase.

8GB is almost a requirement 4K gaming:

So if you have a 4 GB Radeon R9 290X or GeForce GTX 980 then it'll slowly fill that 4GB memory with textures, and then slowly but steadily in a minute or so (if you have disabled pre-caching) your graphics memory utilization will start to rise until nearly maxed out as shaders load up in video memory. Above you can see the Titan Black for example, already filling 5.4 GB of video memory.

Above two examples, 4 gigs of graphics memory are almost filled up for the GTX 980 with 4GB graphics memory. These are the default test settings we use incl. 2x MSAA and high quality textures. Now, to verify that COD will fill it up as much as it can, we tried 6 GB Titan Black as well. And indeed we reach 5.5 GB of used graphics memory. In fact once we started to use super sampling we reached the full 6 GB of used graphics memory.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_page..._graphics_performance_benchmark_review,8.html

Right, the game seems to use whatever is available. Doesn't mean 6+GB is necessary or even beneficial in any meaningful way.

I take it that you are referencing the "Nvidia Maxwell GM200 Titan II/GTX 980 Ti Slipping To 2016" portion.

That makes the analysis suspect and more that likely wrong.

I don't have a SA subscription but I could swear that Charlie knows that GM200 has been laid out on 28nm. I don't know what the author's at wccftech are smoking, but it doesn't sound healthy to me. The entire writeup is so full of errors and misconceptions that it's hard to even think of where to start....

Nvidia won't release anything below 28 nm for 2015. There you have it. Or so they announced to some select and people..

GeForce GTX 960 Specs ? ....

Zauba is an import and export shipment manifest tracking system, in the past we already have seen numerous specs leaked as the shipping manifest lists some intersting stuff. Below the break you will see a screenshot of a manifest showing a GTX 960 being shipped at the 29th of September.

GRAPHIC CARD GTX 960 4GB DDR5,256 BIT,993/6008 HDCP,DUAL DVI,HDMI,DP P PAKC (PCI,PCB POPULATED,VGA CARD,COMP. ACCESS)

993 MHz Core and 6 Gbps memory ? Interesting as why on earth would a shipping manifest show such specific information ? Well, it is interesting none-the less I guess.

index.php

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/geforce-gtx-960-specs-appear-in-shipment-manifest.html

I'm a little surprised that there isn't a GTX 960 out yet. Maybe they haven't cleared out enough stock on 7xx series, but I would have thought they would have wanted one out before the holiday shopping season.

993MHz/6000 256-Bit could be a GTX 760. And since 7 and 9 are a kind of optical similar, it could be a OCR error at Zauba.

I'm more interested in the last item on that manifest. GTX960 Shoes? Wonder if they're fully DX12 compliant.

Back