Ryse of the off-topic conspiracy rant (spawn)

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
Hands on with Ryse PC
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...er&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph
The motion blur is way over done in motion, the 1080p upgrade is pretty significant in foliage shots as expected, I'm also finding PC even on Low settings looks better simply due to the increased resolution.

Now I think we all wanna find out how this thing runs with a naughty naughty 7850 at 1080p don't we ;)?
I will never ever read any Digital Foundry article anymore if I can help it.

If we remember their first "technical analysis", they focused the analysis on the game not even being 1080p native and did not recommend its purchase. :???:

Now that Ryse has been launched on the PC it seems that things look different and they have changed their words now that they realised how similar it is the Xbox One version the PC version.

Amazingly enough, they admitted themselves that the analysis they made of Ryse was done without even getting to the 3rd level of the game,:???: nor they tried multiplayer, and that the technology behind the Ryse is really at the top in terms of rendering technology.

Ryse is a game I always liked, and I am pretty disappointed. Looks like some gloomy hand is behind this, to try to appeal to the masses and slander the Xbox One.

If we remember their first "technical analysis", they focused the analysis on the game not even being 1080p native and did not recommend its purchase. :???:

Now that Ryse has been launched on the PC it seems that things look different and they have changed their words now that they realised how similar it is the Xbox One version the PC version.

Amazingly enough, they admitted themselves that the analysis they made of Ryse was done without even getting to the 3rd level of the game,:???: nor they tried multiplayer, and that the technology behind the Ryse is really at the top in terms of rendering technology.

Ryse is a game I always liked, and I am pretty disappointed. Looks like some gloomy hand is behind this, to try to appeal to the masses and slander the Xbox One.

Yeah I read that too. I am not going to say they are biased are any of that crap though cuz I hate how some people constantly accuse them of it. I will say there is no way that they could have done a proper analysis only playing the first 2 chapters. The game really shines graphically from the 3rd chapter on.

I'm not sure if anyone would read a technical analysis to decide if a game is worth buying or not. A technical analysis like DF conducts IMO is only relevant to the point that you would want to know if it 'runs good enough' or if you are lucky to own two consoles to decide on which version is the better of the two. Apart from that, DF only serves as a means to discuss the technical material here on B3d. Apart from that, I wouldn't even think to read it. Does anyone else read this for other reasons?

If I wanted a review of the game to help me decide if a game was worth purchasing, I think I'd read a less technical versed review like by IGN...

Yes, more and more I fear that something, at least, "strange" has happened on the web during the launch of the xbox one, and Ryse was one of the victims of what, to me, sound as an incredible well orchestrated crowd/herd management process. But this is not the right place to talk about it.

It a shame however how, a year after, DF revealed and admitted how they superficially had analyzed Ryse, a game that still today is absolutely one of the best new AAA ip in years, one of the best core-game available, and, in my opinion, the best next-gen graphic I have ever seen until today.

All XboxOne owner should have this game, and should have considered and valued this new exclusive day-one franchise with high respect and pride, just like Gears, Uncharted or Halo.

I am sure that Ryse, in time and with the PC release, will gain a well deserved cult status.

All XboxOne owner should have this game, and should have considered and valued this new exclusive day-one franchise with high respect and pride, just like Gears, Uncharted or Halo.
Which all sold to substantially less than 100% of the install base. It's ridiculous to say one game is good for everyone and everyone should own and enjoy it. Would you please kindly moderate your enthusiasm for Ryse outside of its own game discussion thread.

You really need to cool it. And stop twisting their words. They only got to sample the 2 levels in the PC preview. Your over the top fanboy statements and crazed emotionalism have no place here.

Yeah I read that too. I am not going to say they are biased are any of that crap though cuz I hate how some people constantly accuse them of it. I will say there is no way that they could have done a proper analysis only playing the first 2 chapters. The game really shines graphically from the 3rd chapter on.
I think the prettiness of the British levels is something unmatched in many many games, AAA or not. The gameplay is also probably the best in the entire game, in addition to the pace of the British Isles levels. Plus, I really liked the character of Boudica. And how her tribe fought against the occupying forces.

I'm not sure if anyone would read a technical analysis to decide if a game is worth buying or not. A technical analysis like DF conducts IMO is only relevant to the point that you would want to know if it 'runs good enough' or if you are lucky to own two consoles to decide on which version is the better of the two. Apart from that, DF only serves as a means to discuss the technical material here on B3d. Apart from that, I wouldn't even think to read it. Does anyone else read this for other reasons?

If I wanted a review of the game to help me decide if a game was worth purchasing, I think I'd read a less technical versed review like by IGN...
:smile2: You are right, and that's where DF should draw the line and sometimes they don't, pointing out at the reviews and mentioning in their final verdict some words that take from there, judging the game for its gameplay rather than for its technical merits.

There isn't "meritocracy" in such words if you don't recommend the game from a technical standpoint 'cos the reviews say its bad.

Yes, more and more I fear that something, at least, "strange" has happened on the web during the launch of the xbox one, and Ryse was one of the victims of what, to me, sound as an incredible well orchestrated crowd/herd management process. But this is not the right place to talk about it.

It a shame however how, a year after, DF revealed and admitted how they superficially had analyzed Ryse, a game that still today is absolutely one of the best new AAA ip in years, one of the best core-game available, and, in my opinion, the best next-gen graphic I have ever seen until today.

I am sure that Ryse, in time and with the PC release, will gain a well deserved cult status.
It's a game I want to keep because I am not sure if we will ever see a game like this anytime soon on any console. It's similar to other games, yet completely different. My least favourite parts are the slow start and probably the final part, but it is a keeper for me overall.

Playing FIFA15 on Xbox One and I swear it has motion blur, at least on the ball.
I haven't tried the demo yet, and in fact I think I am more interested in PES15 this year.

I downloaded the demo of PES15 and found it a bit blurry, ever since I got used to Diablo 3 and Blu-rays and stuff, the resolution disparity becomes somewhat noticeable.

You really need to cool it. And stop twisting their words. They only got to sample the 2 levels in the PC preview. Your over the top fanboy statements and crazed emotionalism have no place here.
If you don't particularly like me, nevermind, I won't dislike you for that, to each its own.

Maybe you have a low emotional threshold.

As for your second statement, I say that for primarily 2 reasons. :smile2:

First, this.... I mentioned time ago that Digital Foundry were rushing their articles at times, that there was no need to haste and rush them, 'cos they fail to see some things because of that.

And that happened when I was not conscious of this... A extract from Ryse's technical artice: :oops:

Here at Digital Foundry, we have conflicting memories of our initial Xbox One playthrough of Ryse. With a deluge of next-gen games to look at, we never did complete the campaign, nor sample the multiplayer. But there was the sense that the gameplay was a real grind, and we only really persisted - as much as time allowed - in order to sample what was clearly an exciting leap forward in rendering technology, combined with stunning art direction and some spectacular set-pieces. Returning to the Xbox One game this week, it's clear that Ryse is rich with breathtaking spectacle, with the third campaign level's beachhead assault standing out in particular. 10 months on, many of its technological achievements have still yet to be matched.
Had they played the British levels at least they would understand.

The 2nd reason is how they treated Crytek in their Ryse review. They were so harsh towards them, like overemotional as you told me.

They edited their words ever since, I think? -words sounded harsher to me then- But they put Crytek in a very bad place.

Crytek likes to contrast Marius' moral strength with the vanity and cruelty of Nero and his made-up sons, but Ryse feels like a product of their dying empire. It's just empty decadence.
Not to mention how they gave every single Xbox One exclusive a 7, when it had the best launch-up titles in November, far from perfect games, but still.

I shall probably read DF from time to time, at least they try, but their analysis are sometimes flawed. For Xbox owners though, Eurogamer is not good company to keep, so to say, though.

Digital Foundry Article technical discussion

The idea is to keep this thread technical Cyan. There is a Ryse thread specifically made for non technical and technical bits.

I also adored my experience with Ryse, but that experience has no value when evaluating the science of Ryse.

If there is a problem with the way DF presents numerical results then you'll need to also gather empirical evidence to support your claims.

I haven't tried the demo yet, and in fact I think I am more interested in PES15 this year.

I downloaded the demo of PES15 and found it a bit blurry, ever since I got used to Diablo 3 and Blu-rays and stuff, the resolution disparity becomes somewhat noticeable.

If you don't particularly like me, nevermind, I won't dislike you for that, to each its own.

Maybe you have a low emotional threshold.

As for your second statement, I say that for primarily 2 reasons. :smile2:

First, this.... I mentioned time ago that Digital Foundry were rushing their articles at times, that there was no need to haste and rush them, 'cos they fail to see some things because of that.

And that happened when I was not conscious of this... A extract from Ryse's technical artice: :oops:

Had they played the British levels at least they would understand.

The 2nd reason is how they treated Crytek in their Ryse review. They were so harsh towards them, like overemotional as you told me.

They edited their words ever since, I think? -words sounded harsher to me then- But they put Crytek in a very bad place.

Not to mention how they gave every single Xbox One exclusive a 7, when it had the best launch-up titles in November, far from perfect games, but still.

I shall probably read DF from time to time, at least they try, but their analysis are sometimes flawed. For Xbox owners though, Eurogamer is not good company to keep, so to say, though.

Eurogamer is in general a stictier site when reviewing games. If EG is to give a good score to a game it needs to set new examples or surpass common standards. 7 in EG is a higher score than a 7 in IGN

Edit: for the record Infamous and Killzone, two of the PS4s top games also got a 7. So yes you are complaining for nothing

...This is going to be really off-topic, but I can't help but respond to this nonsense:

Eurogamer averages 7 points lower than other critics on metacritic. If we ignore the way that'll scale at different points on the 100-point spectrum (probably not a huge deal considering the low variance in actual game scores)...

They gave Ryse a 5/10. Ryse got a 60/100 on metacritic. Accounting for rounding error of the 0-10 integer scale, this means that their Ryse score was exactly what you'd expect given eurogamer's overall rating tendencies and the general ratings that the game got.
60/100 - 7/100 = 53/100 -> 5/10

Ditto for Dead Rising 3. 78/100 - 7/100 = 71/100 -> 7/10

Ditto for Forza 5. 79/100 - 7/100 = 72/100 ->7/10

Ditto for Killer Instict. 73/100 - 7/100 = 66/100 -> 7/10

Meanwhile, you know what major eighth-gen launch game Eurogamer ACTUALLY rated lower than the expected value based on their tendencies and on the game's general reviews? Knack. It got a 54 on Metacritic. Thus you'd expect Eurogamer to give it a 5/10. But the actual Eurogamer score was 4/10.

These Eurogamer vs The World conspiracy theories have no place whatsoever on this forum.

Please stop.

We have discussed the very notion and usefulness of a numerical review system for decades - the general consensus was WHO CARES IT'S JUST A NUMBER.

A review site can give any rating they want to any game.

Grow up and deal with it.

Eurogamer is in general a stictier site when reviewing games. If EG is to give a good score to a game it needs to set new examples or surpass common standards. 7 in EG is a higher score than a 7 in IGN
theyre actually not that different ign average = 6.9 eurogamer ave= 6.7

Amazingly enough, they admitted themselves that the analysis they made of Ryse was done without even getting to the 3rd level of the game,
yes its amazing that, what with the games gripping and revolutionary gameplay Im guessing the first 2 levels were just so good they just didnt want to stop playing them, once you've sampled ryse's second level all other games are just vapid and unworthy of your time. Myself Im afraid to try it cause I heard level 2 is just like crackcocaine one hit and you're hooked for life

The fact you linked minsterx-media garbage in the DF thread as a source/evidence... let's me know you need to chill a little.

We all are going to love games that some are going to disagree with (score/graphics/sounds/IQ/etc...), thats call an opinion, not a conspiracy.

They gave Ryse a 5/10. Ryse got a 60/100 on metacritic. Accounting for rounding error of the 0-10 integer scale, this means that their Ryse score was exactly what you'd expect given eurogamer's overall rating tendencies and the general ratings that the game got.
60/100 - 7/100 = 53/100 -> 5/10

Ditto for Dead Rising 3. 78/100 - 7/100 = 71/100 -> 7/10

Ditto for Forza 5. 79/100 - 7/100 = 72/100 ->7/10

Ditto for Killer Instict. 73/100 - 7/100 = 66/100 -> 7/10.

Ryse is actually better technically, artistically and gameplay wise than all the games you mention.

Nearly every commercial reviewer did exactly what Eurogamer did and just superficially played through one or two levels half heartedly on easy single player, called it "drek" slapped a score on it and moved on.

Those who have actually played it, knew that the reviewers hadn't played it. Which I think is Cyans point. How do you review a game on its technical merits, when you haven't seen and evaluated the scenes which display its technical mastery?

Now months later on another platform, its mea culpa... "We never saw THIS level before ... It's actually technically much better than we rated it"

Those who have actually played it, knew that the reviewers hadn't played it. Which I think is Cyans point.
Cyan made several suggestions, one of which was that Ryse was treated unfairly by critics as a whole, and one of which was that Eurogamer exhibited an anti-Microsoft slant at the time of the eighth-gen launch. I was addressing the latter.

Back