Destiny Sales *split*

So that would be something like 8.33 million copies sold if the ASP was $60. However due to special editions, the ASP is likely >$60, so less copies.

To compare to others, COD Ghosts claimed 1 billion in a day, but it was sold in rather than sold through http://kotaku.com/no-call-of-duty-ghosts-did-not-make-1-billion-on-its-1461528957

And GTAV claimed $1 billion sold in 3 days. And apparently 800 million in one day, but that apparently was sold through. http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/18/4745284/gta-5-grand-theft-auto-first-day-sales-800m

So, hard to compare, but seems like a huge launch anyway.

If it really cost $500 million, they should be on their way to recouping that I guess. Although, if they only see half the revenue, it could still be problematic.

Edit: Ehhh, the Destiny figure is sold in as well. I had not read the link. If it's apples to apples with Ghosts number, and it may well be since both are from Activision, it could suggest only half as much.

I'd venture a guess that's on the verge of a bit disappointing, but too many questions to say for sure yet.

Edit 2: I guess in my mind I kind of literally expected it to be the biggest launch of all time. So maybe I was being a bit unrealistic.

So that would be something like 8.33 million copies sold if the ASP was $60. However due to special editions, the ASP is likely >$60, so less copies.

To compare to others, COD Ghosts claimed 1 billion in a day, but it was sold in rather than sold through http://kotaku.com/no-call-of-duty-ghosts-did-not-make-1-billion-on-its-1461528957

And GTAV claimed $1 billion sold in 3 days. And apparently 800 million in one day, but that apparently was sold through. http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/18/4745284/gta-5-grand-theft-auto-first-day-sales-800m

If it really cost $500 million, they should be on their way to recouping that I guess. Although, if they only see half the revenue, it could still be problematic.

Edit: Ehhh, the Destiny figure is sold in as well. I had not read the link. If it's apples to apples with Ghosts number, and it may well be since both are from Activision, it could suggest only half as much.

I'd venture a guess that's on the verge of a bit disappointing, but too many questions to say for sure yet.

The numbers for Destiny are going to be very good. There's no doubt. If COD and GTA are the bar for every game, then pretty much all games are failures, by a wide margin. Destiny will be a big success.

The 500 million is also "sell in" to retailers and special groups (probably Sony and Microsoft for bundles). Activision won't comment on sell through to consumer numbers. They likely don't have the sell through numbers yet.

Regards,
SB

This game is interesting experiment. Biggest ad budget for new IP ever but whenever you ask someone why they are interested of this game, they say because of alpha/beta or word of mouth because of alpha/beta. Activision wasted 100's of millions... :cool:
500 million worth of revenue before a single review. I'll tip my imaginary fedora/trilby hybrid hat for the activision marketing team.

You see a lot of people online saying that the alpha/beta sold it to them, but that's all internet talk (ie the people who actually visit gaming sites/hardcore gamers). Don't get me wrong, the alpha/beta sold the game to a lot of people (I am one of those people), but marketing is still needed to get the word across to everyone else and to build up hype. 500M may have been a bit excessive, but I think it worked, because 500M in revenue on day 1 for a new IP is pretty damn good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Edit 2: I guess in my mind I kind of literally expected it to be the biggest launch of all time. So maybe I was being a bit unrealistic.

In what world is $500 million in 24 hours a bit disappointing?

Destiny is only on PS4 & Xbox One with a total install base of around 15 million.

In what world is $500 million in 24 hours a bit disappointing?
the world of 'publisher spending many millions on advertising, the biggest ever? yet shipping a lot less than COD/GTA' world. Theyve got to be disappointed we now see why they didnt want early reviews the game looks to be a bit of a turkey, I feel sorry for the poor bastards who brought it day one, but hey 'a fool and their money'
iWatch and this at the same time, has thanksgiving moved forward this year?

the world of 'publisher spending many millions on advertising, the biggest ever? yet shipping a lot less than COD/GTA' world. Theyve got to be disappointed we now see why they didnt want early reviews the game looks to be a bit of a turkey, I feel sorry for the poor bastards who brought it day one, but hey 'a fool and their money'
Yes, I'm sure they're disappointed that a new IP didn't sell as many as one of the most established and highest selling game franchises of all time. Best selling new IP all of time? Who fucking cares?! We didn't sell as many as GTA or CoD! Activision am cry.

Seriously though, they could have spent $1B on marketing and it could be the best game of all time, and it wouldn't sell as many as GTA/CoD as a new IP. Especially in this generation transitional period. I'm sure Activision weren't expecting CoD/GTA numbers and are VERY happy with how it's selling.

It's a new IP!

GTA1 didn't sell that much on it's 1st day & neither did Call of Duty 1.

Even if it wasn't a new IP $500 million the 1st day is still big.

It's a new IP!
So something Like Watch Dogs, you know that game that recently done this (according to ubisoft)
Ubisoft announced today that Watch Dogs has sold through more copies in its first 24 hours of availability than any previous title in the company’s history.
FWIW - ubisoft is the 3rd biggest publisher in the world behind EA & activision
If something is hyped/advertised to buggery then it will sell well
GTA1 didn't sell that much on it's 1st day & neither did Call of Duty 1.
Check their advertising budgets at the time, you may find an answer there, its not like the megahyped GTA/COD of today

I'm loving the game, very addictive. Congratulations to Bungie for delivering another hit.
Anyone else notice it uses quite a lot of bandwidth? It seems to upload quite a lot even if there are few people with you.
Big problem for me who only has 10GB a month.

So something Like Watch Dogs, you know that game that recently done this (according to ubisoft)
FWIW - ubisoft is the 3rd biggest publisher in the world behind EA & activision
If something is hyped/advertised to buggery then it will sell well
Check their advertising budgets at the time, you may find an answer there, its not like the megahyped GTA/COD of today

Destiny is doing better than Watch Dogs so what's your point?

How are you mad at a company for advertising their product? you seem to have a deep issue that has nothing to do with the actual game.

Destiny is doing better than Watch Dogs so what's your point?

How are you mad at a company for advertising their product? you seem to have a deep issue that has nothing to do with the actual game.
My point is any game can come out of nowhere and do massive sales if its hyped up / advertised enuf

average review score
Watch Dogs 81.26%
Destiny 73.33% and falling

i.e. it doesnt seem to be a good game, yet its taking sales away from much better games, sure life aint fair but I feel sorry for those developers busting a gut making good games as ultimately what matter is not the quality of your product but the size of your advertising budget

btw I think I criticised watchdogs as well for the same thing

My point is any game can come out of nowhere and do massive sales if its hyped up / advertised enuf

average review score
Watch Dogs 81.26%
Destiny 73.33% and falling

i.e. it doesnt seem to be a good game, yet its taking sales away from much better games, sure life aint fair but I feel sorry for those developers busting a gut making good games as ultimately what matter is not the quality of your product but the size of your advertising budget

btw I think I criticised watchdogs as well for the same thing

That was a silly thing to say because no one is forced to buy the game & if someone wanted the so called better game they would buy it.If not it's not Destiny's fault & Destiny's hype came from people playing the beta & liking it.

That was a silly thing to say because no one is forced to buy the game & if someone wanted the so called better game they would buy it.
Only if they knew the better game was better though. A strong marketing budget does wonders to convince people that your product is the best one and the one they should spend their money on. If after buying it, you decide it's not the best option, it's too late and you've lost your money and can't spend that money on the other game. That other game has lost the sale because it wasn't able to get its message across as being the better choice (because it was out-gunned with more expensive information control).

Only if they knew the better game was better though. A strong marketing budget does wonders to convince people that your product is the best one and the one they should spend their money on. If after buying it, you decide it's not the best option, it's too late and you've lost your money and can't spend that money on the other game. That other game has lost the sale because it wasn't able to get its message across as being the better choice (because it was out-gunned with more expensive information control).

Unless the ads are flat out lying no one should have a problem with a game being marketed. Most games that have low sales would still have low sales even if other games are not hyped up & marketed well.

Back