Could Dreamcast et al handle this/that fighter? *spawn

xaeroxcore

Newcomer
Can't believe that Balzak model has more geometry than ryo hazuki model. ryo still ooks better to me (i thought he was around 4k).

PD: can you try to get please the test Drive le mans and tokyo xtreme racer 2 polycount per car?

PD 2: learning this numbers makes room to no doubt...The PS2 Soul Reaver 2 would look the same on DC if The project would Not be killed...or am I wrong?

In fact the game was in developement for the Dreamcast :)

Soul_Reaver_2_Dreamcast-DC-Air-18.JPG

Soul_Reaver_2_Dreamcast-DC-Air-16.JPG

Now I am trying yo get the models from Virtua Fighter 4 from both Ps2 and Naomi 2 and soul calibur 2.

I'll look at le mans and tokyo street racer models later. but I don't promise anything. :)

Now I am trying yo get the models from Virtua Fighter 4 from both Ps2 and Naomi 2 and soul calibur 2.

I'll look at le mans and tokyo street racer models later. but I don't promise anything. :)

Man thanks a lot for that amazing job!!!

I know that the game was cancelled and probably exist an unreleased beta, which this screenshots belongs. But , as you can see in this site http://thelostworlds.net/SR2/Soul_Reaver_2_for_the_Sega_Dreamcast.html the last screenshots revealed of the Sega Dreamcast version has the same (or closer) polycount in stages and NPCs of the final PS2 version, but the Raziel model is the SR1 dreamcast model, it has higher level of detail than the original PS1 and PC version (don´t know the exact amount of geometry and the res of textures) but lower than the 3k SR2 Raziel of PS2.

This thread makes me think in something that has "tormented" jajaja me for the last 10 years...Could the Dreamcast have enough power to handle the Unreal Engine 2????

There is also a leaked Half Life DC version ;)

That would be an interesting analysis if we could compare with the PC version.

Me and a friend tried it. It played and looked great on the DC. For some reason though we couldnt change weapons either because of a bug or we didnt figure out the controls.

I am eager to see polygon models of VF4 PS2 and the Naomi 2 version

There is also a leaked Half Life DC version ;)

That would be an interesting analysis if we could compare with the PC version.

Me and a friend tried it. It played and looked great on the DC. For some reason though we couldnt change weapons either because of a bug or we didnt figure out the controls.

I am eager to see polygon models of VF4 PS2 and the Naomi 2 version

Yeah I have a copy of Halflife for the Dreamcast. In my opinion it looks much better than the Ps2 version. They seem to have the same poly count but the DC version wins out in Image quality in my opinion.

Yeah I have a copy of Halflife for the Dreamcast. In my opinion it looks much better than the Ps2 version. They seem to have the same poly count but the DC version wins out in Image quality in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ItG-xVLPO8

PS2 is slightly superior on the polycount department (there are even numbers in the first post in this thread) and it has slightly better colour saturation. You have to watch both versions side by side to tell any difference, they look almost identical. The most notable difference is in the frames and load times department; in PS2 everything is optimized, because we´re talking about a finished and retailed game...DC is an almost finished unreleased version, which still have a few bugs and needs to be polished in a few aspects that finally were implemented in the PS2 version.

Did you also have an issue with weapon change?

Does a ROM dump of NAMOI 2 VF4 exist?

Kind of. The game was produced on the GD-ROM format SEGA used for the Dreamcast and Naomi arcade boards. I am certain there's been at least one dump of the GD-ROM.

wow, I did not know that. but seeing how soul reaver 2 came out when the dreamcast was still kicking, i could imagine it being possible.

Btw, if my memory serves me well, I read in a PSM magazine over a decade ago, that the models in soul reaver 2 were 2,800 polygons in contrast to Dreamcast's 1,000 polygons for soul reaver 1.

think it was in one of these two magazines,

tumblr_n3gweiFEo71qi3phmo1_500.jpg

psm_1999_march_00.jpg

"sigh", those were the days.

wow, I did not know that. but seeing how soul reaver 2 came out when the dreamcast was still kicking, i could imagine it being possible.

Btw, if my memory serves me well, I read in a PSM magazine over a decade ago, that the models in soul reaver 2 were 2,800 polygons in contrast to Dreamcast's 1,000 polygons for soul reaver 1.

think it was in one of these two magazines,

tumblr_n3gweiFEo71qi3phmo1_500.jpg

psm_1999_march_00.jpg

"sigh", those were the days.

DC Raziel was just 1000 ?? i thought he was around 1500-1800. If SR 2 PS2 Raziel was 2.800 there´s no boubt that an hypotetical DC retail version would look the same as the PS2 version...maybe with less fps and more load times.

DC Raziel was just 1000 ?? i thought he was around 1500-1800. If SR 2 PS2 Raziel was 2.800 there´s no boubt that an hypotetical DC retail version would look the same as the PS2 version...maybe with less fps and more load times.

Hmmm, According to this interview with crystal-dynamics, Raziel was 500 polygons in the original PS game, 800 polygons in the Dreamcast version and 3,000 in soul reaver 2.

Andrew bennett- For Soul Reaver 2, we're not held back by PS1 and so we're able to upgrade all our content constraints without sacrificing 60fps. For example, Raziel is now around 3,000 polygons vs. 500 last time on PS1 and 800 on DC. The environments are roughly 8-10 times denser in terms of polys with around the same increase in the number of textures.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2001/01/11/igndc-interviews-crystal-dynamics-andrew-bennett

Even still, i'm sure the DC could have handled soul reaver 2.

Hmmm, According to this interview with crystal-dynamics, Raziel was 500 polygons in the original PS game, 800 polygons in the Dreamcast version and 3,000 in soul reaver 2.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2001/01/11/igndc-interviews-crystal-dynamics-andrew-bennett

Even still, i'm sure the DC could have handled soul reaver 2.

So 300 polys more? well...they made a model well done, which looks more complex. That 800 poly numbers means that the Raziel model of the SR2 DC pictures gotta be more complex...Something lotta higher than 800, but not till the 2800-3k of the final version.

Oh God!! When is this beta going to get leaked? If i were rich i´d buy it, and share it to the world! jajajaja

Samus Aran, Metroid Prime Gamecube

RaLSeH3.jpg

Samu's Spaceship

LZgdfBA.jpg

Star Wars Rogue Leader, Gamecube.

jalvN9Q.jpg

Sion, The Bouncer (ingame model)

SzMioPV.jpg

Julia Tekken Tag Tournament, ps2

YcITYeM.jpg

Mitsurugui + sword, Soul Calibur, Dreamcast

LVTrBes.jpg

AMAZING!!!!

My thoughts:

VF 4 totally possible on DC, at least geometry (PS2 level) wise. The question is which effects would have to be trimmed or downgraded, and what fewer things would look better than PS2 ver...

It´s amazing too how high poly TTT models are, but it´s

more amzing how SC models looks better with fewer geometry.

pd: Pleaseeee show us a V3 TB (dreamcast) and MK Gold numbers.

Thanks a MILLION!

Cheers from Colombia!

AMAZING!!!!

My thoughts:

VF 4 totally possible on DC, at least geometry (PS2 level) wise. The question is which effects would have to be trimmed or downgraded, and what fewer things would look better than PS2 ver...

It´s amazing too how high poly TTT models are, but it´s

more amzing how SC models looks better with fewer geometry.

pd: Pleaseeee show us a V3 TB (dreamcast) and MK Gold numbers.

Thanks a MILLION!

Cheers from Colombia!

You have to account the environment polygons if you want to know if the DC could handle VF4 geometry wise. Also I disagree that SC models looked better than TTT models

You have to account the environment polygons if you want to know if the DC could handle VF4 geometry wise. Also I disagree that SC models looked better than TTT models
I think the enviromens on DOA 2 are more complex (in geometry) than the PS2 Version of VF 4. So i don't See The VF4 backgrounds outta DC reach. But if they are, may be replacing some 3D elements with high res sprites could do the trick..

Soul Calibur characters have less geometry, but they are ahead on animation (TTT uses Tekken 3 Motion capture). Plus, in SC facial animation, hair appereance and Motion, muscles movement, breathing simulation ( sophitia's stage you can see that) are better than in TTT. The artistic direction and global ilumination are better in SC too ( or seem to be at least), and that helps to give characters a better look.

VF4 introduced extensive character customization, so base models would have left polygonal headroom for variously combinable items. I would like to see some more comparisons with the Naomi 2 original.

With these teardowns, it is increasingly impressive what Team Ninja achieved with DOA2 in 1999.

Back