EA Access, Xbox One - $5/mo, $30/yr

Great concept; instead of buying a few games @50 euro a few times a year; I would manage which publishers I subscribe to; on a month to month basis. You could get great value for your money if there is enough/ interesting choice.

also I notice with this EA access they often cardholders a 10% discount on new games (hurry hurry for a limited time) this is also a sales tactic, related to this how often have you seen ppl go "oh product X is on sale or its discounted I'll buy this and ignore another shop where its cheaper cause its not on sale.

Think of it another way. I just "rented" the entire EA backlog that is currently available on the service for 5 USD for an entire month. And as a bonus, I get a 10% discount off any game that is released in that month.

After that one month I cancel. So for 5 USD, I got to play any number of games on the service as long as I wanted within that 30 day period. And I may have saved 6 USD off the purchase of a 60 USD Digitally distributed game (I personally NEVER buy physical packaged games anymore).

In such a scenario, not only did I just get to play a whole bunch of games for free (6 USD savings is greater than 5 USD for the month) if I bought a new game, but I also saved an additional 1 USD on that game.

So for 59 USD I got a brand new game (and got it 5 days before people not using the service) as well as play any number of games in the backlog available on the service.

And even without the new game purchase. 5 USD to rent multiple games for an entire MONTH? Seriously? Multiple games for an entire month for 5 USD? I remember when I used to have to pay 3 USD to rent a game for ONE day.

IMO, I can't see how anyone could see this as a bad thing in its current form. And this considering I despise EA for not selling games on Steam, and do not buy games from EA anymore.

And to me it's obvious why MS allow this on Xbox One. It aligns quite nicely with what I and many others interpreted as what they wanted with regards to the online requirement for the console. And I wouldn't be surprised if EA was one of those urging Microsoft to have an always online requirement for the console before the console launched.

I know at least I talked about the prospects for online game rentals during the discussion of the online requirement. Only I had been thinking of renting one game at a time for a few days to a week. This far surpasses what I originally thought was part of the intention for the online requirement as it allows you to rent multiple games for an entire month for a low fee. Or "rent" multiple games for an entire year for 30 USD.

Hell in the PC forums I've talked about how I wish I could permanently delete games from my Steam account as I don't intend to ever play those again. Something like this would be ideal in such a situation. 5 USD. Play and finish one or more games. At the end of the month, they aren't clogging up my list of owned games.

And now I hate EA even more. I still intend to not give them a single penny of my money until all their games are available on Steam once again. On the other hand I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to use this service.

Regards,
SB

I haven't read the whole thread, but my first impression is that this service is extremely beneficial to EA in many ways.

1. They get to reduce the value of used games in their catalogue because subscribers get them for free.
2. They increase the value of their back catalogue to themselves -- essentially $30 - fees worth of revenue per year.
3. They encourage the purchase of higher margin digital titles by both making them cheaper, and linking into the #1 because their potential resale value is lower.

Paid my $5 and am enjoying a month of Madden and FIFA.... pretty cool

Does it auto renew and how easy is canceling? For "renting" these are concerns. I remember Xbox Live used to be supposedly notoriously difficulty to cancel, as you had to physically call and it was the only way. I'm assuming Access has no such issues though.

I wasn't sure if the service was available right now or not apparently it is. Only through the app on the console, right? Not on the web?

It still seems to me like $5 per month is almost dangerous to EA! At least for people who enjoy the single player aspect of games only, those people can easily get their fill of a title/s in a month, and it can hurt any ongoing sales of those titles. Perhaps they could mandate a 2 month minimum, or something. Of course, that would be worse for consumers.

Heck for 5 bucks I might try it out even just for Madden, even though I already own BF4 and dont have much interest in Madden. It's just such a small amount of money. It's worth just sampling the games graphics for 5 bucks imo, heck that's mostly what I used to do with demos or rentals.

I can see it burning through some bandwidth! up to 40+GB for some next gen games is a lot to "sample" or rent them when you get into multiple titles.

Yeah but once the 16 versions of EA Sports games come out, the interest in the 15 versions will drop precipitously.

Actually most of the avid sports gamers have played the 15 versions already so the people who'd be interested in checking them out for a month or two are not people who would normally play them.

The real key is how soon the 16 versions get added to the vault. If it's just a couple of months before the fall releases of the 17 versions, it shouldn't affect their new games sales or used games sales.

Not sure how that applies here. EA already stated that you are basically only "renting" the base game and DLC is not included in that. So even with Titanfall in the back catalog, you'd have to pay for the DLC if you wanted to play it.

So, it does have a weird situation where you own the DLC but not the base game. But anytime you "rented" the back catalog again, you'd be able to use your DLC. Myself, I wouldn't ever bother with the DLC, but I know people that probably would get it.

Regards,
SB

The service has hit Xbox One already.

FIFA 14 and NFL 14 this month, 1€ each with your yearly subscription, which costs 2,08€ a month. I have FIFA 14 already, but -don't kill me for this- I never played a NFL game.

I am liking this more and more by the day.

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/madden-15-only-available-prerelease-on-ea-access/

Madden 15 will not have a demo, in a move "totally unrelated to EA access".
EA access effectively provides a 5-day demo of Madden 15.

Interesting according to that it's a preview of the full game and not limited. That means you can basically rent the game for 5 USD for 5 days before the game is even available for purchase. :oops:

If it really is the full game, that sure beats renting a physical copy from a store.

Well, for Xbox One owners that is. Other consoles won't be able to rent the game before release.

Although that preview wording makes me wonder if it's time limited in some way. Otherwise 5 USD for 5 days to play the full game before release seems too good to be true.

Regards,
SB

Although that preview wording makes me wonder if it's time limited in some way. Otherwise 5 USD for 5 days to play the full game before release seems too good to be true.
Yeah, it's like there's a piece of the jigsaw missing. I can't see how EA hope to make more money but I can see plenty of usage cases where previous sales will result in less sales.

Unless they've calculated their current used game sale losses, hopefully now subscribers, will make up for it.

Yeah, it's like there's a piece of the jigsaw missing. I can't see how EA hope to make more money but I can see plenty of usage cases where previous sales will result in less sales.

Unless they've calculated their current used game sale losses, hopefully now subscribers, will make up for it.

As well it's been mentioned how game rentals can spur sales of Sports titles. In this case it wouldn't be significantly different from a traditional game rental except that you can play the game before release for 5 days. And as a bonus get access to a back catalog of games for 30 days. So by that thinking, it's possible that even allowing full access to the game for 5 days will still spur sales of the game itself. But that will get tricky when single player games start to show up for preview.

I guess we'll have to wait and see just what, if any, limitations are placed on the 5 day preview of the full game.

Regards,
SB

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/madden-15-only-available-prerelease-on-ea-access/

Madden 15 will not have a demo, in a move "totally unrelated to EA access".
EA access effectively provides a 5-day demo of Madden 15.
That's another plus for this service. Still... people found out and are raging about the fact that the games require a permanent online connection to work.

So... say..., the service ceases to exist, whether you are offline or online your games won't work anymore. :(

You're paying for subscription based access to the games. If the service folds your access to the Vault goes away. Since you aren't paying anymore at that point that should be expected. You should maintain access to anything you actually bought with the discount.

If EA folds, there are larger clusterfucks going on in the world. Disasters of biblical proportions, real wrath of god type stuff, fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes ... The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

You're paying for subscription based access to the games. If the service folds your access to the Vault goes away. Since you aren't paying anymore at that point that should be expected. You should maintain access to anything you actually bought with the discount.
EA confirmed that the games are yours forever once you purchased them, even if you unsubscribe from the service...

If EA folds, there are larger clusterfucks going on in the world. Disasters of biblical proportions, real wrath of god type stuff, fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes ... The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!
lol!!!!!!!!! Darkness and the undead... This reminds me of Dracula: "Listen to them: the children of the night. What sweet music they make." :p I'd be ready when the waters reach your backyard because of global warming or whatever (lots of countries should learn from Costa Rica in that regard)

Finally, it actually worries me that you can't play your games everywhere 'cos you can't have a connection 24 hours a day depending on where you are. That's silly DRM when you aren't lending your games to anyone, nor you can, so, what's the point of that?

scared-ghostbusters-o.gif

If EA folds, there are larger clusterfucks going on in the world.
back before your time ( i remember it well)

THERE WAS A COMPANY

in gaming this company was bigger than EA (a fart) bigger than sony ( a pimple), bigger than microsoft (an sorry excuse for a burp)

I talk of

ATARI

[call out bit of junk]
now Brit what are you implying
that EA can not fold :) uuuum right oh man
[/ouch]

That wasn't before my time. When Atari folded there was a huge shakeup in the gaming market. I'm talking when they fell out of relevance after the 2600. Their switch to originally designed by commodore Atari ST line isn't genuine Atari engineering. But that's a different topic.

Back