Microsoft expected to announce job cuts this week. Some will affect Xbox marketing.

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
According to Bloomberg this could be the biggest jobs cut in the history of the company. Until now the biggest jobs cut took place in 2009 when 5800 people lost their job at the company due to the world crisis.

The company has 127.000 employees now, 30.000 of which work for Nokia. This doesn't affect the Xbox division much, but some of the jobs cut will affect the Xbox business marketing division (unsurprisingly so, maybe, 'cos of little passion put in selling the console as it should...).

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...o-announce-job-cuts-as-soon-as-this-week.html

I bet 90% of the layoffs will come from Nokia.

It's a shame because these people in Europe had nothing to do with the Xbox One development :(
I hope they can get new jobs real soon!

It's a shame because these people in Europe had nothing to do with the Xbox One development :(
I hope they can get new jobs real soon!

LOL. Guess you get a kick out of stirring up drama on these forums.

MS is doing it because companies because competition like Google and Apple generated more revenue per employee, which is a result of having employees than MS.

I am serious. Probably during Xbox360 these people got their jobs, creating daring and interesting ways to advertise/market the product, for example:
x360lovefranc.jpg

So now MS-console business seems a bit down from the previous generation, and what do they do? Fire the people that could make it more of a success in the first place..
I am really sure that the marketing people did not decide on the things that made consumers hostile to the original Xbox One concept, so again, it's a shame if people were to lose their jobs.

12500 jobs on the Nokia side. The rest sounds like a lot of middle-management jobs, which is a good decision. The flatter the better.

What's happening besides a good business decision?

Good business decision? I think that is quite disrespectful.

People are fired from Xbox divisions now that the chips seem to be down.
If Xbox One was doing PS4 numbers, I don't know if those people would still have been fired..
Console wars are bad.. I thought the gamers win, but does that really matter when people lose their jobs?

https://twitter.com/gameinformer/status/489846844164689920

do you still think it's "a good business decision"?

The Quantum Break TV vision was different, a lot different then just saying "Ok Xbox, switch to channel 3 for football". It was supposed to blend mediums and have a great integration into the videogame and vice versa. It was innovation, so I really hope that vision will not be compromised

Isn't that the last bastion from Mattrick legacy and TV? I was startled at first, I understood Microsoft Game Studios.

No Quantum Break TV production? Halo tv serie is too far ahead in production to be canned for now?

Darn, you are right people, I just hope it doesn't affect Quantum Break, they seemed to have a lot of footage already.

Quantum Break seemed to be very innovative featuring typical gameplay mechanics and regular cinema.

If Xbox One was doing PS4 numbers, I don't know if those people would still have been fired..
Console wars are bad...I thought the gamers win, but does that really matter when people lose their jobs?

What would you have done?
MS is in the business to make money and not for charity.

Console wars are bad.. I thought the gamers win, but does that really matter when people lose their jobs?

XES has existed for years, with a inordinately large staff, has produced next to no content so far, has no track record for quality and there has never been any clear plan to monetize the shows they were planning. I remember listening to a podcast a couple years ago where someone mentioned they had a friend that was poached from another production company to join XES, only when she started there was literally no work for her or many of the other employees. They just came in every day to sit on their hands. This is an incredibly wasteful use of MIcrosoft's money. TV production is not a core competence for MS, and the business synergies just aren't there. It was a pointless misadventure in vanity.

The fact that it ever existed was crazy. Closing it was the only sane path.

I hate to see people lose their jobs, but that's part of business.

Also don't see why this would affect Quantum Break. Remedy is making the game, and the "tv episodes" are a part of the game.

What would you have done?
MS is in the business to make money and not for charity.

Yes. This is what he said, And his point was that this is not necessarilly as good as it sounds. Perhaps the economy needs new paradigms

Back