Crytek may go bankrupt

Lets hope Ex-Vigil will survive. They have nice project currently, but who knows it will be financially successful [TPS F2P game].

Sad, but the perfect opportunity to restart "free radical" and have them come up with a spiritual successor to Perfect Dark!

Latest rumour from Tidux, Sony is looking at whether bringing Crytek into the fold is worth it. IMO if there is any credence to this then it won't be for IP's like Crysis or Ryse or any of the other glorified tech demos Crytek produced. They'll be after Homefront and Timesplitters, because it's awesome!

Latest rumour from Tidux, Sony is looking at whether bringing Crytek into the fold is worth it. IMO if there is any credence to this then it won't be for IP's like Crysis or Ryse or any of the other glorified tech demos Crytek produced. They'll be after Homefront and Timesplitters, because it's awesome!

Yeah, Timesplitters still has a strong fan following hoping for another game.

I dunno, never played Ryse or Crysis 3, but I thought Crysis 1&2 were fun and better than most other shooters out there, just my ever humble opinion. In any case if Sony acquired them then I presume there would be a firing blood bath to prune things down to the size they really should have been at in the first place. Seems like carnage is inevitable.

Maybe they could buy just a part of the company, like the Free Radical team and the Timesplitter IP, but I don't see why Sony would buy them whole, it's a weird move. If there's a studio Sony should buy it's something like Sanzaru, not a big multi-platform like Crytek.

Crytek is bigger than it needs to be, having expanded too quickly. I highly doubt it's too big for Sony to acquire.

That is, of course, assuming they wanted to.

If the company was actually making enough projects/successful enough projects for the amount of jobs they have to make sense, it might be a different picture.

Maybe they just want the Crysis ip. Sony's own 1st party shooters are kind of weak, and shooters can sell well with the right backing so maybe a Sony backed platform exclusive Crysis with all the buzz and marketing that goes with it would sell better than it has in the past. I can't imagine Sony needs a tech group though, they already have a good one but not buying the tech people along with everything else would mean rebooting Crysis with a whole new engine and tool set. Then again maybe that's not a bad idea, a franchise reboot with full marketing and fanfare can do the franchise some good.

A PS4 developed exclusive by Crytek?
I think Santa Monica Studios and Naughty Dog would need to watch their backs, as far as technical excellence is concerned :)

A PS4 developed exclusive by Crytek? I think Santa Monica Studios and Naughty Dog would need to watch their backs, as far as technical excellence is concerned :)
From dev interviews I've read, Sony studios are highly collaborative rather than adversarial. Definitely an interesting idea but Sony have been closing studios so I can't see them buying a bunch. An IP acquisition tho, yeah why not. I'd dearly love to see TimeSplitters come back and although I've still not played Crysis 3, I really enjoyed the first two.

I can't see them buying talent, if only because it sounds like the talent are leaving and Sony (or Microsoft or anybody else) could just hire them for nothing. Nor can I see Sony wanting to purchase CryEngine.

It's IP if it's not all bullshit.

A PS4 developed exclusive by Crytek?
I think Santa Monica Studios and Naughty Dog would need to watch their backs, as far as technical excellence is concerned :)

Crytek wont endanger SMS and ND. Both those studios are masters with extracting excellent performance from console hardware.

I wonder how will PC crowd react if Sony purchases Crytek... That team always had strong connection with gamers who like expensive PC hardware.

I can't see them being interested in Crytek, or the technology they have developed. Sony have better and more focused teams already. If they are after anything it will be IP such as Homefront and (I'll keep repeating this because that will make it true!!) Timesplitters. Maybe even a revisit to the Haze universe. But this time the console tech is capable of meeting the development expectations.

From dev interviews I've read, Sony studios are highly collaborative rather than adversarial. Definitely an interesting idea but Sony have been closing studios so I can't see them buying a bunch. An IP acquisition tho, yeah why not. I'd dearly love to see TimeSplitters come back and although I've still not played Crysis 3, I really enjoyed the first two.

I can't see them buying talent, if only because it sounds like the talent are leaving and Sony (or Microsoft or anybody else) could just hire them for nothing. Nor can I see Sony wanting to purchase CryEngine.

There is also the option of giving the ip to one of their existing top tier studios, and giving key members of the existing Crysis team the option to relocate to where ever that is. That's the more ruthless approach where most everyone else gets fired, but such is life in the big city. I don't think Sony need CryEngine either really. To be honest I'm starting to think that CryEngine may become a casualty in all of this. It's in this weird position where the few that could afford to buy it probably don't need it.

I wonder how will PC crowd react if Sony purchases Crytek... That team always had strong connection with gamers who like expensive PC hardware.

At the end of the day it probably doesn't really matter what the pc crowd thinks. People will cry and moan, many will get added to ignore lists, and then things will go on like usual.

(Most) PC gamers seem to have hated Crytek for a while. Ostensibly because they "consolized" Crysis 2. Hell I think a lot purposefully pirated Crysis 2-3 just to screw Crytek (at least I saw a few on message boards brag about this), probably at least a small part of the reason they're in bankruptcy.

Bought Crysis 1 and loved it. Linear path but multiple ways you could engage a base or from multiple angles.

Bought Crysis 2, but it was a step backwards. I'm surprised I even finished it. Only the end part was interesting, when you are on the floating island and fighting the elite aliens. The story and the story delivery incredibly boring though.

Could bother to buy Crysis 3.

I do like Crytek if only it gaves me a reason to have a high end videocard other than Skyrim & GTA mods. I can be bothered with AA or +60fps.

Maybe Epic Games should buy them and create the ultimate license engine :yep2:
Thy could call it UnrealCry or Cry4Real :runaway:

Back