*tearing* Another 30fps discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trolloollloo

Yeah they "lost" it 5 years ago back when they were in Sony's camp:
http://www.insomniacgames.com/how-much-does-framerate-matter/

Actually, I agree with tuna. I would have expected at least 60fps given this game looks more of an evolvement from Ratchet & Clank (which was 60fps). That the Resistance series was 30fps was indeed very disappointing, but in light of all the other games being the same framerate (sans CoD), one can't really blame them sadly. Still, Sunset Overdrive looks to be a fast platformer/shooter which definately should be 60fps (just as R&C has always been). This has also got nothing to do with this being on the Xbox, rather than PlayStation, so don't make it a platform arguement.

Actually, I agree with tuna. I would have expected at least 60fps given this game looks more of an evolvement from Ratchet & Clank (which was 60fps). That the Resistance series was 30fps was indeed very disappointing, but in light of all the other games being the same framerate (sans CoD), one can't really blame them sadly. Still, Sunset Overdrive looks to be a fast platformer/shooter which definately should be 60fps (just as R&C has always been). This has also got nothing to do with this being on the Xbox, rather than PlayStation, so don't make it a platform arguement.

Last iterations of Ratchet, afaik, were hovering around 30fps and even had problems holding onto that. I'm so sad about the direction Insomniac went. Their "analysis" was faulty at best.

This has also got nothing to do with this being on the Xbox, rather than PlayStation, so don't make it a platform arguement.

It's not, 30fps is not ideal for gameplay regardless of platforms. I think his point is more on why was it not seen as a problem before but it's a problem now.

I like the honesty (not really) on how framerate has no impact on sales / review score, though. /face palm

It's not, 30fps is not ideal for gameplay regardless of platforms. I think his point is more on why was it not seen as a problem before but it's a problem now.

I like the honesty (not really) on how framerate has no impact on sales / review score, though. /face palm

Is 30fps really a problem? I doubt it is for the majority of people.

So Destiny on PS4 will be soon the probably only succeeding PS4 game running at 30fps and still using the image destroying FXAA.

Just looking at recent NPD I made some interesting links between image quality and success, either it's 30fps with very good AA (SMAA or MSAA) or it's 60fps with noAA, FXAA or even MSAA.

1. Watchdogs -> 30fps, SMAA
4. UFC -> 30fps, 4xMSAA
5 FIFA -> 60fps, 2xMSAA
6 NBA 2K14 -> 60fps, 2xMSAA
7 Wolfenstein: The New Order -> 60fps noAA
8 Call of Duty: Ghosts -> 60fps FXAA

Statistically speaking people either want 30fps with great image quality or they can tolerate average image quality but at 60fps.

Destiny Beta is 30fps but with a cheap & blurry FXAA. I don't think it could be possible but the details (texture and geometry) are possibly more wrecked in the Beta than in the Alpha.

In motion the FXAA induced shimmering noticeable on geometry details and textures will be really, really noticeable. People will even complain about the bad AA when in fact, there is too much (but really inefficient) AA. What a waste.

Statistically speaking people either want 30fps with great image quality or they can tolerate average image quality but at 60fps.
Poor data interpretation. You don't know how much the IQ choices were factors in the purchases. Furthermore, how many lower IQ games were available to purchase? You may instead want to compare a much larger dataset such as PS360 games. How did low IQ and framerate affect sales there? And are those features suitably isolated form the rest of the game that they are obviously the cause of poor/high sales?

Basically, all you have is circumstantial evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back