Capcom shareholders open possibility of takeover

Streetfighter was once a golden goose, but competitive gaming has moved beyond fighting games. Now days its about FPS and MOBAs.
I agree. Millenials grew on on halo and gta not street fighter

MS might be hesitant to buy it up given their experience with Rare. They might be more interested in buying some of the IPs like Dead Rising, Streetfighter or Viewtiful Joe.

makes sense but they don't need capcom's ips they have plenty of thier own

Nintendo wouldn't benefit much from buying it at the moment. They'd be saddled with teh operating costs of Capcom and inability to sell enough software on WiiU. All the capcom IPs would be really injured by being locked up for years on a console that has a small userbase and would drift even further from minshare and decrease in relevance.

They make the most sense IMO. Another Japanese company that they have already worked with.

Sony probably doesn't want to be saddled with more debt, though hypoothetically they'd probably be interested in scooping up Capcom if they were swimming in as much cash as MS.

they make sense too because they too are a japanese company that have worked with capcom extensively before.

Like Shifty said I hope none of the console makers buy it though.

Its seems to be between Sony,Nintendo and Sega-Sammy.

They could use capcom's ips and have platforms to put them on.
Sony(playstation)
Nintendo(wiiu)
Sega-Sammy(arcade/multiplat console)

Its seems to be between Sony,Nintendo and Sega-Sammy.

They could use capcom's ips and have platforms to put them on.
Sony(playstation)
Nintendo(wiiu)
Sega-Sammy(arcade/multiplat console)

Sony or Nintendo getting them would be just as bad as Microsoft getting them. Actually probably worse. Microsoft would likely still allow them to sell games on PC as they currently do. Sony definitely wouldn't allow them to do that if they were a first party studio and same goes for Nintendo.

Out of those 3, I'd hope it was Sega.

Regards,
SB

it will be a huge blow of gaming community if MS buy them and making all of their game xbox exclusive.

If Microsoft does buy them, I'd fear of them going the same way Rare did. If they do, and even this doesn't get them a foothold into the Japanese market, they might use their talents differently. In the end, I don't think the Capcom we know will continue to exist. Although the question is, do they already now? The latest Devil May Cry was totally Cry and didn't have much in common with what made the earlier games so great. Resident Evil, is well, still quite good, but IMO too much focused on being a shooter. I miss the old games, damnit.

I've been thinking about this and... Does Japan matter so much to MS that they would spend at least $1Bn to buy Capcom, in a desperate attempt to win an unspecified amount of business there?

I've been thinking about this and... Does Japan matter so much to MS that they would spend at least $1Bn to buy Capcom, in a desperate attempt to win an unspecified amount of business there?

No. But they would buy them to get a large share from the rest of the market. Capcom games are highly successful in the west, with some of the most popular franchises ever made

Speculation on whether any of the three platform holders buying capcom is pretty fruitless, a practical impossibility in reality.

Neither Sony, MS nor Nintendo would want to spend hard cash for an entire publisher that would be too big to be able to be supported by their individual platforms alone. It would be a rediculous waste of money. neither would they splurge on a takeover just to shut down huge swathes of the business to get at the IP library.

If Capcom was verging on death, then it would be more likely that the big three would waiti in the wings for a sell-off of the publisher's IP; similar to what happened with THQ. However since what is happening here is not that, any talk of MS, Sony or Ninty buying Capcom is simply irrational dreaming.

It's even very unlikely that either EA, Acti or Ubisoft would want to buy Capcom, as the practicalities of running a Japanese business would be far too messy and difficult. And both parties would most likely be better off staying well clear of one another. Sure we can point to the buyout of Eidos by SquareEnix as an example of an Eastern-Western publishing partnership gone right, but then I would argue that the business and cultural dynamics of an eastern-owned western publisher, would work better than a western-owned eastern publisher dynamic. Additionally, Square-Enix is probably quite unlike Capcom as I think they make a higher proportion of their income in the western markets, as opposed to Capcom whom although do well in the west, also do very big business in Japan and asia with their big name franchises like Monster Hunter.

If anything I would think that a far less interesting, yet far more probable liklihood would be some Chinese social or MMO publisher like Tencent taking over Capcom, if anyone does at all.

Back