Kinect-less XB1 fallout thread *spawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only way this make sense is if they are planning a new xbox in 2016. Get the one down in price as fast as possible .

But this is just a horrible move, no idea what MS is thinking at all.

Agreed. But id be afraid to go with a Next box now... I supported this box the way it was envisioned and MS literally cut the heart out of it.

um

"SHAPE is an audio block of 4 processors, and only one little of them is for echo cancelling and audio computing for kinect (vgleaks)"

Xbox is within the Devices Division which i think also includes windows phone and surface tablets...

I think your facts are wrong here.

Plus everyone including Bill Gates spoke about the possibility of sellign off the xbox brand...

What are you going on about?

Read the audio processors thread. As far as I know, the audio block is made up of several processors, SHAPE being one of them. It is more of a fixed-function processor. The Kinect sensor is not part of SHAPE.

There has been talk of MS selling off the Xbox brand. I believe one major investor has been pushing them to do so. It doesn't mean they will. And selling the Xbox brand to "save face" is probably not a good business strategy. Usually there are better reasons for selling entire product lines than that.

The diagram at that link clearly demonstrates that SHAPE is one of 4 distinct audio processors inside the overall audio block/processor. The block that is responsible for processing Kinect audio is a generic programmable audio processor that they licensed from another company. It is not part of the "Kinect sensor".

gotcha.

from vgleaks:

"AVP (Audio Vector Processor)

The AVP supports vector float operations, and is designed primarily for MEC (multichannel echo cancellation) and other noise reduction for the next-generation Kinect audio input. It supports both speech recognition and chat/arbitrary audio input use. MEC and other noise reduction processing allow for a more intelligible stream of the player’s spoken audio data even from a far talk microphone that is typically positioned closer to the output speakers than to the player."

Maybe they are wrong i dont know... SHAPE means (Scalable Hardware Audio Processing Engine)

How is it not part of the audio block? LOL It IS the audio block.

Read more at: http://www.vgleaks.com/durango-sound-of-tomorrow/

Read more at: http://www.vgleaks.com/durango-sound-of-tomorrow/
I read this several times, and I also read bkillian on the matter. SHAPE is an entirely different thing, it's the Tensilica cores that are tied to Kinect. SHAPE is part of the audio core, but is independent from Kinect as it does other functions.

I appreciate that Microsoft know they made mistakes and were wrong in some ways, and ever since the last year's E3 MS have essentially turned around everything they promised for the sake of what the fans/consumers want.

But I was happy with this approach regarding the initial ideas, not with Kinect.

Agreed. But id be afraid to go with a Next box now... I supported this box the way it was envisioned and MS literally cut the heart out of it.

They are really screwing up. First media center which would be a trump card across all platforms (imagine being able to stream your live tv/recorded tv to any ms device anywhere in the world)

now they are killing xbox .

They really have no idea what they are doing, I hope they don't screw up the surface on the 20th

They are really screwing up. First media center which would be a trump card across all platforms (imagine being able to stream your live tv/recorded tv to any ms device anywhere in the world)

They really have no idea what they are doing, I hope they don't screw up the surface on the 20th

depends. I heard the mini was ARM based and that there is another Surface with an optimized i3 or somesuch in it...

I'd say they are adjusting their focus over time. New executives, new approach. The previous one was totally burdened with the legacy of Whitten, Mattrick and all of those, and it wasn't working either.

I think there is only good here IF they settle, which seems likely to happen. Eat the crap now, let people forget.

It is a catch 22 situation. Damned if you do damned if you don't scenario. :rolleyes:

Right!, now i remember, you weren't going to buy the XB1 because it lacked mediacenter. But you won it instead: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1803178&postcount=342
Still don´t understand you first adaptor comment though.
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1846609&postcount=9695

You paid around 80-100 dollars for your XB1, it´s not like you invested big amounts into Kinect 2.

People clearly weren't buying it though, it's not like they did this just to piss people off.

True.

I was hoping after the performance updates from Directx 12 or whatever we would see a prefomance difference that would create actual parity rather than forced parity... it just feels like all smoke and mirrors now.

People clearly weren't buying it though, it's not like they did this just to piss people off.

Agreed, they had price cuts bundled with games so they know how many units were moved in that regard, and it would appear it still wasn't selling as much as they hoped.

Removal of Kinect may enable them to sell in regions faster where they don't support voice controls yet or have difficulties with the native language of the region.

dat yusef mehdi spin, i don't understand how bad it must feel to be an early adopter right now and basically have the console you've defended turn into literally a weaker version of ps4 with a few different games literally overnight

Last edited by a moderator:
True.

I was hoping after the performance updates from Directx 12 or whatever we would see a prefomance difference that would create actual parity rather than forced parity... it just feels like all smoke and mirrors now.

I think we are a gen away from games to get any lift from the full dx12 but it does appear the resolution difference is becoming more narrow now as devs optimize to the esram more efficiently.

320px-Gartner_Hype_Cycle.svg.png

The slope of enlightenment didn't happen with Kinect 2 because they were still promising something they couldn't deliver. The hype was continuously counterbalanced by gamers having bought into the hype for Kinect 1, Wii, Move, etc... and now arguing against it because the games promised were not delivered beyond a few gimmicks. It was fair for them to expect the same situation, so forcing them to buy the product bundled was a bad move.

320px-Gartner_Hype_Cycle.svg.png

The slope of enlightenment didn't happen with Kinect 2 because they were still promising something they couldn't deliver. The hype was continuously counterbalanced by gamers having bought into the hype for Kinect 1, Wii, Move, etc... and now arguing against it because the games promised were not delivered beyond a few gimmicks. It was fair for them to expect the same situation, so forcing them to buy the product bundled was a bad move.

I agree with this. I think Kinect 1, despite selling well, did a lot more harm then good for Kinect 2 simply because it was so over-promised but so under-delivered. I'm certainly one of those that picked up a kinect, but after the piss poor performance it offered, I'm not willing to try it again.

At the end, we aren't missing anything. There wasn't any "great-kinect-experience" on games (except Kinect Sports Rivals), then, we aren't missing anything.

I'm sure they can put a case together to reassure developers looking into Kinect games that this move will increase the Kinect install base rather than decrease it.

Good move
Though it has to be $349 to have any chance at all of carving out a decent share of the market worldwide, $399 means they will still fail to catch the ps4 even in the US

Though I suppose after all the failings of the xbone, cutting the price to $349 in 6 months time (cause 399 aint working) is just gonna be another admission of they have no idea what theyre doing.

Weird that so many ppl on these forums thinking that MS were never going to drop kinect

edit - Theres nothing wrong with buying kinect separately, MS havent actually given a reason why kinect is needed. Theyve had two highish profiled titles for it released so far AFAIKS
one is the second worst reviewed game of all time!
http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?site=&cat=0&year=0&numrev=0&sort=1&letter=&search=
And the other was less the averagely received as well.
I mean wheres the support/confidence from MS in kinect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back