Microsoft's universal Windows app

Thanks indeed. And yes, WPF is helpful with scaling though it's not always as easy as it first appears. Particularly scaling text remains tricky. But I did manage to make my letter training app to scale to any resolution and aspect ratio at least, which is necessary now anyway with app screen splits allowing any size ...

Thanks indeed. And yes, WPF is helpful with scaling though it's not always as easy as it first appears. Particularly scaling text remains tricky. But I did manage to make my letter training app to scale to any resolution and aspect ratio at least, which is necessary now anyway with app screen splits allowing any size ...

Nicely done ... I've worked on several WPF apps in the past, big ones, and consulted on many many other WPF apps and I can tell you first hand less that 5% of those apps coded with High DPI in mind...

Not many developers know how to get their apps DPI story correct (in WPF or Modern Windows applications) ...

p.s. so many of the current Windows Store apps looks terrible on my 4K laptop ...

p.p.s I honestly believe that in the windows ecosystem, mixing of XAML UI layer + Direct2D layer + Direct3D layer (separate swapchains for the D2D/D3D and in HW) will result in some crazy great applications.

MS's developer story for building these rich UI's, personally speaking, is very good.. I'm still yet to find something as compelling in the iOS/Android ecosystem ..

I would love to see future games move to XAML/D2D HUDS and D3D pure worlds...

Last edited by a moderator:
Not you, Liquidboy

yeah ive had a Toshiba test dev laptop for over 6mths ... its just coming out now...

It's crazy how unproductive I am as a dev because of the time spent sourcing and creating assets for various resolutions... Trying to vectorize everything BUT can only go so far!

Since I'm moving from iOS to Windows 8 Phone, I'll be very much looking forward to using these universal apps. I'm already using several apps on my Windows 8.1 desktop PC so it would be nice to run the same apps on my W8P. The Windows app store already tracks my downloaded apps so it would be nice to have them synced to my phone without having to manually keep track of which apps I've installed on my PC that needs to be downloaded to my phone. Same story when I get white XB1 later this month...though the universal apps probably won't be available that soon?

Back